Making your SNES classic compatible with blutooth controllers

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I got my SNES classic console I was sad to see how cheap the front panel looked when you opened it up, the little pins locking it in place will not remain firm for a long time, I knew I wouldn't let controllers plugged in all the time because, well because it's ugly and wires. I already had a 8bitdo NES classic Retro Receiver which I loved. (coupled with NES30 and SNES30 it's perfect for wireless retro gaming, also compatible with PS3/PS4/Switch Pro controller/Joycons)

So was born my desire to mod the console to be entirely wireless. I had a concept in mind, cloning the controller ports and making them internal so you wouldn't have two wireless dongles sticking out the front of the console.

As soon as 8bitdo updated their retro receiver to be compatible with the SNES Classic it was Go, I knew Hakchi would be out soond so it satisfied my need for tinkering with it!

20171012_175750.jpg

Here's how you can do it:

Required:
-2X Wiimote "nunchuck" female connector (can use clone controllers)
-1 or 2 Retro receivers
-wires
-soldering iron
-rosin core solder

1- First you have to open up the console which is quite easy as it's only 4 philipps screws under each plastic pads under the console.

2- Unscrew the shielding/heat sink from the MB (same screws as the case)

3- Prepare your Wireless Retro Receivers;
To be able to use the pair button (if you plan on using your controllers for other systems) place them in the top part of the console shell with the red button facing the rear of the console so you can see the blinking lights and have access to the pair button through the vents. (I personally used hot glue to stick them, didn't use much if I ever want to remove them) **place them facing the top of the shell because your connectors pins could touch the shielding/heatsink and could short, MAKE SURE THE BUTTONS LINE WITH THE VENTS

20171012_112109.jpg

4- Start soldering wires to the Wii remote connector;
Your connector will have 6 pins and 4 leg, solder a wire to one of the leg for ground.
The connector pins should look like this:

FRONT OF THE CONNECTOR
________________ leg°_________°leg

______________________° ° °
______________________° ° °
________________ leg°_________°leg

The remaining 5 cables should be wired to 5 of the pins, only the top middle pin is left empty, we'll label them like this:
1- Ground leg (any)
2- Top right
3- Bottom right
4- Top left
5- bottom middle
6- bottom left

Once your connector has it's 6 wires soldered I advice to secure everything with hot glue, you don't want wires to touch and short!!

5- You can now solder your connector to the board, it's an easy step, the reason I numbered the pins as such, that's the order they're in on the connector, you want to solder on the obvious traces next to the connector.
20171012_112129.jpg

Once soldered it should look like this:

20171012_112123.jpg

6- Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for player two if needed!

7- Screw the shielding back on top of the board, keep wires out of it, I personally added hot glue to the soldered wires so they wouldn't touch either and also to protect your work. **don't put too much or shielding won't fit!

8- Connect your connectors to the retro receivers

9- Screw everything back together and pair your controllers through vents. (I marked the vents where the pair buttons are so it's easier to pair controllers)

You'll see the blinking light through the vent turn to solid light when it's paired!!
20171002_1745042.jpg

Visual quick guide:
wireless_mod.png

ENJOY!!!

***NOTE***
If you want to use wired Wii Classic Controller/Wired Fighting pad (WiiU) or any wired controller which has a joystick it'll most likely be acting funny... (I tried many pads and they all went crazy even though they were in 100% working condition) This is most likely due to the fact we now have clone ports and the console might not like that. NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER WHEN USING THE ORIGINAL CONTROLLERS (SNES/NES)

Last edited by The Frenchman,

Landbasered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice
I wonder why 8bitdo or some other company doesn't just make a wireless receiver that looks like the front of the snes mini
since the plastic front piece is removable, all you should have to do is realign the pins so they're at an angle, and it would stay in place through the controller ports
I don't have the confidence in my abilities to copy your idea though

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Very interesting but we are not going to touch it. We are fine with classic version of 1990's. No bluetooth need for me. And it is a collector's item so we are cherish it with treasure of ours, thanks anyway.

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a 100$ console... nothing worth saving in a fire. If you think the inflated demand and asking price is worth it you are as dumb as people paying triple the price for them.

"We", thanks for speaking for everyone. I'm sure you've installed Hakchi...

I don't care a single bit if it's rare, I bought mine to enjoy it not to keep it as some kind of sick investment. I'm a passionate gamer and I have one because I use it, not because it makes my e-penis that much longer.

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can controllers be plugged in still & function properly?
Yes! They work flawlessly like there was not tinkering. Since your new controller ports are grafted on the solder pads of the original ports they are "clones" of the original player 1 and player 2 ports. You can leave your controllers plugged in and still play with a wireless one.

I wouldn't have done it had it not worked because if you're out of battery you would be unable to play.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes! They work flawlessly like there was not tinkering. Since your new controller ports are grafted on the solder pads of the original ports they are "clones" of the original player 1 and player 2 ports. You can leave your controllers plugged in and still play with a wireless one.

I wouldn't have done it had it not worked because if you're out of battery you would be unable to play.

What firmware do you have for the pads and also the receiver?

I just got a second sfc30 and retro receiver and although they play fine (button configs and pairing) after a short while I'm getting crashes using my snes mini and it's locking up? If I use just one pad and receiver then my snes mini works with no crashes but as soon as I use the two (using canoe or retroarch) then I get the crashing?

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using the included official power supply? If not then do so, or use an USB 3 port on your TV (if it has one) to power the SNES C, if you are using an old version of hakchi it used to have a power consumption issue and introduced a lot of crashing over time.

Haven't played extensively two player in wireless mode but never had an issue. Please give me more details, how long does it take to lock up?

If you have modded your snesc like I did, make sure the heat sink was put back in its right place, maybe the heat conductive pad is misplaced...

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you using the included official power supply? If not then do so, or use an USB 3 port on your TV (if it has one) to power the SNES C, if you are using an old version of hakchi it used to have a power consumption issue and introduced a lot of crashing over time.

Haven't played extensively two player in wireless mode but never had an issue. Please give me more details, how long does it take to lock up?

If you have modded your snesc like I did, make sure the heat sink was put back in its right place, maybe the heat conductive pad is misplaced...

No I've not modded it like yours (yet). I'm using latest build of hakchi and retroarch and using this via a mains plug (I'm from the UK and it only came with a lead). I was previously using the USB lead connected to my uhd tv but was experiencing issues sometimes (not enough power) with random crashes and since moving to the direct power wall supply it's been completely fine and never crashes... Well until I plug in a second 8bitdo pad and receiver!?

It crashes when 2 pads are synced after about 5 minutes of play (sometimes more frequent)? I updated the retro receiver and sfc30 pads (I've also got the 8bitdo nes30 and pro pads and the same issue happens with a second pad for them too)? :(

Can you confirm what firmware you have on your pads and receivers?

If I can't get 2 8bitdo pads to pair nicely together on my snes mini then I guess I'll just keep the second pad for my original snes as 2 pads and the classic retro receivers work fine on that?

Last edited by MrTea,

The Frenchman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll do some more testing on my side for you!

I'm using controllers on 3.00
my retro receivers are 1.07

Works flawlessly here, no problem using 2 controllers at once with the two wireless retro receivers...

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll do some more testing on my side for you!

I'm using controllers on 3.00
my retro receivers are 1.07

Works flawlessly here, no problem using 2 controllers at once with the two wireless retro receivers...

I'm also using the same firmware. :( I've just found an official snes mini Nintendo plug for cheap online so I'll test that once it arrives and hopefully that will sort it? If it works I'm seriously thinking about doing the same mod as you too as I think the flap and controllers sticking out look horrible!

Reactions: The Frenchman

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly after testing it also doesn't work with the official snes mini plug I just purchased. :( Without even pairing the second controller just having a second receiver plugged in tends to make it crash after a shot while?

I'll stick with 2 8bitdo pads with my original snes and just the one on the snes mini seeing there's issues with multiple pads/receivers on the mini (for me anyway).

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do u mean it doesn't work with offical snes mini plug? as in you ordered "official" plugs to do this mod and they are somehow different or incompatible with the OPs tutorial?

I was thinking of ordering plugs but now i think i'll just remove the receivers casing and solder jumper wires to the pads.

fyi I have no trouble using two receivers at the same time, latest hakchi2, receiver firm 1.08beta, sn30 and sfc30 controller latest pre-switch firm (not 4.0), also used ds4 and wii pro, no issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've owned both iPhone and Androids over the years. Both are just as good, other than Apples higher price. I'm currently on Android, Samsung S21 I think, and very happy with it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I've owned both iPhone and Androids over the years. Both are just as good, other than Apples...