ROM Hack Magi Nation Tran. [Patch?]

Shadoan89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have searched High, and low for a english translation patch for the GBA version of Magi-Nation (J)
[Which is one of my favorite Game titles in terms of RPG XD]

I have learned that the Game itself came pre-loaded with the translation already set, however Japan decided not to switch it on
or even bother to transfer it to the USA.

I keep hearing from people on fourms and several other places that you have to use a hex editor, open it up and make changes
to a few of the variables set in the file.

Before I go and make a complete fool of myself (Which I am more than likely doing now.) Has anyone Either successfully attempted to
translate [I.E. Switch] the ROM to English or found a patch or ANYTHING at all?
Because so far, Im not following much of anything of what to follow up on and what not too XD.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As and when I get time it is my main GBA translation/hacking project. Time to play with it has not been that available though and I doubt I will get any time to do it any time soon.

Anyhow as I recall yes there is a translation buried within the rom.
Yes the game had fonts and everything required but the game does not decode ASCII very well and you need to tell it to in the code itself which is where things get tricky.

You probably saw this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=134655 (I just reread and it seems I have forgotten a lot of what I did for that) but if not, or someone else is reading this thread, do have a read of it as it has some half decent info.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been wanting to do this too after I found all the English dialogue within the Japanese ROM but it's a bit more complicated, as FAST6191 says.
I'd just like to show support, I really enjoyed Magi-Nation on the GBC.

Shadoan89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, Thanks guys
smile.gif

I would like a patch or something if either of you 2 finish, please
smile.gif

Shadoan89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I poke this again with the triple post stick and ask, SERIOUSLY?!
If there isn't going to be a translation, Ill just give up on the topic and go learn a Japanese from MANGO.COM T_T

Chronos_Zeck

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Magi Nation is one of my favorite games of all time and I've been searching and waiting for ages for the translation/patch of this game, with no luck at all...
And this thread and the one in the link above, are by far the closest I got to a translation... so imagine my excitement when I read in this thread that the translation was already in the game!
I'm a chef, and I know absolutlely nothing about programming, so I can't help with that, sadly...
So please, make my wish come true, if possible XD

Thanks for your time

PD: Apologies in advance if reviving threads is forbidden, I just wanted to know if the translation is possible

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I returned to this all of about twice in the years since this thread and the one before it, mainly as an anecdote for my ROM hacking docs, but put no time into it despite otherwise spending a few days staring at the ceiling in the years since that.

It would be a fantastic first proper GBA project, one the would be hacker does not need a translator for, but it got a bit fiddly (nothing that would be terribly hard to sort but more than shuffling pointers around).

Chronos_Zeck

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If only knew a little about programming, I could help; but it seems time is what I lack the most, since I'm busy at the moment...
I guess I should stick with the GBC version of the game... or try unrust what little japanese I learned over the years XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.