gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I still have yet to purchase a flashcart, but one of the things i would like to know is how the M3Lite is with homebrew compatablity. Has anyone out these received theirs yet and run alot of homebrew? a list of what doesnt work would be just as good.

Thanks!!!!!

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
First, I don't have one myself (but do have a M3 MiniSD v1), and most of this post is an educated guess in the assumption MicroSD uses a simulair way to access FAT as a SD or MiniSD

I think most of the homebrew that doesn't work with a M3 SD or MiniSD won't work on M3 Lite either. I also think fatlibs might handle it as a MiniSD v2 which means most of the nicer progs will run into problems. This is mainly due to the fact there are no real fatlibs available (at least no usefull ones) for M3 SD/MiniSD/MicroSD.

-ScummVM DS - Should work with the "GBA mode" with zip

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, that list really helped me out, but it leaves me with another question; dsOrganize or Moonshell????....and what is ScummVM DS, i cant get into the site (blocked by websense)

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome, that list really helped me out, but it leaves me with another question; dsOrganize or Moonshell????....and what is ScummVM DS, i cant get into the site (blocked by websense)
dsOrganize is more a PDA kinda program, personal reminders, organiser, calculator, calender etc. It does run some media, but that's mainly extra (mostly because some close contacts to BM keept "whining" about them
tongue.gif
, ey LiraNuna (hope I remember it right)?

Moonshell is a media launcher, can load almost any media, but that is about it. It can't create or edit files etc. They both seem the same but both have different goals as an application.

ScummVM DS is "SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) system", it run almost any LucasArts game (except Full Throttle and some other games due to memory or incompatability for now).
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/ - Home of ScummVM DS
http://www.scummvm.org/ - Home of ScummVM in general.

I doubt it really helped, since I couldn't confirm anything. It's just an educated guess. I'd really wish to see some M3 Lite users to try these homebrews, if it were only for comparison/reference sake.

I myself am currently more interested in the SCL, seeing as I can't find any (or at least interesting) homebrew not working on it. Still, a complete comparison would benefit us all to make a good choice imho.

As for now, I'm hope I'm not gonna flame anyone/anything, but it seems there are two choices mainly for SC and M3 not taking personal preference into account. (like looks, manner of save or (really minor) extra battery consumption.

-M3 Lite -> Full comercial support, GBA and NDS work great.
-SC Lite -> FUll NDS support every NDS rom works be it commercial or homebrew. GBA support is lacking about 10% though. (You can play "only" about 90% of the GBA games.

Imo price shouldn't matter that much, but it seems that at the most cheap stores, M3 is priced at least 1/3rd more then a SC. Again, look at what you want, don't buy a cheap card only because it's cheap. Buy a product because you think it suits your needs better.
They both are pretty good products, but it seems neither is perfect.

-my 2 cents

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
ya know, up until now, i'd been leaning majorly towards the m3. mostly because most debate on those two cards have included 'SCL gba support sucks.' but it's only 10% that's not supported, that that changes my view entirely. i can handle 10%...expecially if the multimedia and nds functions are practically the same...but what do you mean by

-> m3 lite- full commercial support

what does that mean exactly? and how does the scl lack that?

edit: for having only 9 posts, you sure do know your stuff!!!
grog.gif

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
edit: for having only 9 posts, you sure do know your stuff!!!Â
grog.gif

Well, I've had alot of experience in dealing with the i-net and the phrase "n00b" (at least I'd like to think so, and thusfar the opposite never occured). That phrase is usualy used because people don't do any research, I've been doing ALOT of research (re-/background- checks .. whatever) to find out as much as possible. I mainly only feel the urge to respond when something seems to go into a direction I want to know more about but don't know yet. (Geez, that sounds kinda awkward).

Commercial support imo means that all official GBA and NDS dumps/releases work (or at least 99%). The SCL and SC in general lacks in that perspective due to have "limited" support in the GBA field. Not ALL commercial GBA roms run (at all, or with slowdowns) with a SC. The M3 excells at that. Point is to me, I like alot of homebrew, and the idea of homebrew in general and I have other backup/flashcarts to use GBA.
So, to me it the favor leans to SCL, where some will favor the M3.

Imo one should check to see if the 10% less GBA support includes any of the GBA games one would wanna play (and buy) and how many you'd just wanna try out.

In general I think M3 has the most potetional (:?), but in reality I think SCL is the best (price, homebrew and NDS support, GBA is nice imo, but homebrew counts more to me).

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, GBA support is nice and all, but the only one's i'd was to play would be the RPG's (kingdom hearts, FF's, ect). Plus considering i've never even played the GBA, I've only ever bought DS games. i dont think it'll have a huge impact on me. but i will do some more homework as to what does and doesnt run the SCL, but for the most part, you've just changed my mind about the M3. mostly because i looked at alot of the homebrew apps, and some look friggin sweet. so i guess i'm willing to take the 10% gba loss for a 30% price difference. but homebrew makes it even more sweet.

again, thanks!!! you've been awesome help.

...now, time to leave work!

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg commdante you're my hero! and your name too!

viva la zapatistas! subcomandante marcos!!!

(even if thats not what you imply, it still reminds me of the 'ol zap's.

FrozenIpaq

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, contrary to popular belief, the support seems to be better than M3's previous products for some reason
ohmy.gif
I was able to run all homebrew games I tried (all the major games), and DSoganize 2.2 ran perfectly

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
DSOrganize ran fine? i thought they came in colors (green, blue. ect.) though, have they gone to numbers?

also, does the homebrew feature in DSorganize still work (i've never actually used it, but i heard its like a database of homebrew and you can d/l straight to ur memory card if your cart supports writeing....is this true?

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I put the newest DSOrganize green on, and it hung at loading. but the version i got didnt gave a readme, so i put the .nds in the root directory and copied everything that came with it into /DSorganize....or am i doing it wrong?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy