Lost all my data :(

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So somewhere between having Alienware's shit software and Windows 10's shit updates / software my PC decided to update, while in sleep mode.. And after restarting it booted into recovery but could not repair what ever screwed up in the middle of the night.. It also could not find a single restore point including the one made before Windows updates.. So having a drive with no backups found i booted my Win 10 flash drive to repair the drive.. Most of my stuff is kept on a second drive anyways.. Well the flash drive would boot to recovery and act like it was doing something and then restart with out doing anything.. So then i moved on to Alienware recovery, figured i have back ups there, nope there gone too, and so is the original OS install.. So i'm like F it right, ill just use this new key i have and install 10 fresh, with all the BS MS and AW has installed for shit programs and shit ease of access ill start fresh.. 1 hour later i boot up the new 10 install deal with retarded Cortana and shit Edge browser.. Open up my computer and find only one drive.. Where is my back up, where is my files.. I open disk manager and there is the drive UNALLACOTED! Some how, between MS and AW and updates and everything, its gone.. Everything, well not quite, i do have a back up off site of my files, just not the last 3 weeks or so.. Moral of the story, F if i know..

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Stop using the system immediately and try a data recovery software to recovery any data e.g. getdataback (it's commercial but the best I've used).

Also, consider using Macrium Reflect Free to make backups of your system, I make one everytime I'm about to reinstall a system and maybe consider disconnecting any additional drives you have before reinstalling an OS.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the moral of the story would be...KEEP BACKUPS!!!
And yeah, I know, backups are hard, especially when we have so much shit. I keep all my smaller-to-medium files that are important on my nextCloud that I host myself, that way I have it on at least 4 PCs, so it'd require something extraordinary for me to lose those files.

OfficialFBomb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is i have never had issues like this before, where both alienwares backup and windows back ups are both gone. Basically from what i can tell something went wrong with what ever was updating and everything was wiped. I dont even know how it was updating in sleep mode since its not set to update until noon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And i do have a back up, not of the os or installed apps but of whats important my files. Minus 3 weeks tho. It also seems the pc tried to revert back to Win 8? As when i installed Win 10 i did so on a new drive with a new key. I have the original drive here and the files are from before i did the Win 10 upgrade last year. But there is no sign of any other files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!