Loose Joycon

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by StonedPurple, Mar 12, 2017.

1. StonedPurple
    OP

StonedPurple GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    Anyone else experiencing this? My left joycon's rail appears to be a little loose. I was considering sending it to nintendo for repairs but I've been reading that they were meant to be a little loose and even if you got a pair of tight fitting joycons, they'd loosen up over time. What do you guys think? Should I send my joycons in to be repaired or just learn to live with them? Also getting a metallic spring like sound from the joystick of the same joycon that's loose.

2. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I started getting that exact same metallic spring sound in my left joycon as well, though mine isn't loose (for now). The sound comes and goes, but it's never affected gameplay so I've been just living with it, again, for now. I'm becoming more and more concerned Nintendo didn't properly test their hardware, and that bigger problems will end up manifesting later on.

StonedPurple likes this.
  3. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Depends on how losse is losse.
    Its plastic (joycon) on metal rails (switch)
    The is going to be some shaving of the plastic over time and the Clearence is already small and crappy tolerance is to blame

4. StonedPurple
    OP

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    It's not super loose but loose enough to where I notice it moving. I feel like I won't be able to use this same pair of joycons the whole lifespan of the switch which is saying a lot because I'm so gentle on my controllers I still have all my original controllers for every other system I own. It just worries me. I don't want to have to spend $80 on another pair of joycons a year from now because Nintendo made them crappy quality.

5. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    I think this is normal ie within manufacturer tolerances but someone stiffened them up by placing tape on the joycon near the sl and sr button says it's stiff now maybe worth a try i just got free joycons from Amazon after i said they were loose

6. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    I can confirm abit of tape on the inner of the joycon stops the looseness

7. StonedPurple
    OP

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    This actually wont do anything for me. It's the rail on the joycon itself that wobbles, not the rail on the console. I even took my joycon apart and tightened the screw holding the rail in place and its just as wobbly as before. My right joycon doesn't wobble at all.

8. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    It's not my rail either it's the joycon as my neon set are perfect but the grey ones are not

9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Just got a neon pair of joycon and the right one is sturdy, the left is still a little loose though.

10. vgmoose

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Hm, my right Joycon is a bit wiggly while mounted, left one is snug.

11. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Okay so I've been testing my joycon, and I believe I've find where the fault lies with loose vs firm joycon. It seems to be the plastic rail connecting to the joycon. I'll try to find my screwdriver and triwing set after birthday dinner, and then I'll open them up to see if I can fix the issue.

Edit: I found the fault by comparing my stiff joycon vs the loose ones. The metal rail seemed obvious that it want the cause due to different joycon being different on the same metal rail. Thus I turned my attention to the joycon. If you have a loose joycon, it seems the plastic rail can be easily moved a little up and down in comparison to the rest of the controller. This seems to be more of a problem towards the lower section of the rail.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake, Mar 19, 2017
  12. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    my left joycon is loose aswell also i notice the analog moving on its own especilly in zelda :;/

13. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    We figured that out days ago lol

14. Essometer
    This message by Essometer has been removed from public view by Minox, Mar 19, 2017, Reason: Spammy.
    Mar 19, 2017
  15. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    But has anyone tried to fix the problem?

16. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    Other than send it back there's not a great deal which looks like can be done although I uploaded a picture of abit of tape on both ends works a treat and makes it snug maybe you should try that

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

See above

17. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I did and what I saw was the tape thing works for some but not all.

18. da1e85

da1e85 GBAtemp Regular

Blacklisted Trader
    Dec 11, 2014
    Did you try the tape thing

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You must have an even bigger problem than the majority if you have

19. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    My ZR has that metallic sound when I click it too. Does not seem to effect it's use tho.

20. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Most people here are always like "this won't happen if you use the joycons correctly and don't use force on them" so I doubt that there will be much solutions here XD
    There ist at least 1 of not a lot more, big threads about problems that are switch related and more than half of the people are still saying that this is only the users fault and nintendo did everything perfectly fine ^^V

21. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Now that I've listened all 4 shoulder buttons and my analog clicks make metallic sounds. Maybe its normal?