change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to get a wii unless I like how the modding goes. I flatout don't have enough money to afford more than two games per year retail. This is the reason I got an r4 for my DS. I was thinking about getting a wii and doing something similar, but I'm wondering how you use the roms, how big they are, etc.

I pretty much want to know everything except where to download the roms (because that's not allowed here).

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. the files aren't called roms they are called isos
2. isos for the wii are around 4.3 GB (they all fit on a blank dvd disc)
3. you just burn your iso with a program like http://www.imgburn.com/
4. you put the game in your modded wii and off you go
biggrin.gif

zeppo

change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
uh, ok... that answers most of my questions. I've done a little research, so it's mostly clear. Only a couple questions now:

1. What files go on the disk, and where do they go? Any specific extension?

2. Which is the best modchip to get? At first it seemed like wiinja was best, but I really don't want to fuck with soldering. is the wiikey bad in any ways? http://www.wii-modchips.com/wiikey.htm
that's where I got my info from, and it seems like the wiikey's pretty nice.

pimpyT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can help you with the first question. The iso can be opened, much like a .rar or .zip file, but it's best to not open it. Think of The .iso format as a word document. You open it and the document knows which words go here and there. The .iso format when opened with NERO or ImgBurn tells the program to burn the DVD/CD and place the files needed in the right directory, etc.

As for the second question about modding, I'm there with you.

I'm also wondering about running homebrew applications (emulators) on the gamecube so I don't have to visit the VC and find out they don't have a game I really want.

zeppo

change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what about getting iso's from torrents? Would I have to completely download the iso and then put it on the disc, but delete it later? I only have 20 gigs free on my hard drive.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Download the ISO, burn it straight to a disc and then delete it from your hard drive if you're low on space.

Once you've burned it, there isn't really a point to keeping the ISO file on your computer (unless you're prone to losing discs).

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
You download the ISO, extract it from RAR format, and burn it. Test the disc in the Wii before you delete it off your hard drive.

You don't delete it off your HDD. It's good to buy at least an 160GB External HDD and keep the ISOs there as then if you have your backup fail on you you'll be able to burn another copy without waiting for it to download again.

SinR

The Terribad Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
the problem with the Wiikey, is that if you have a new Wii (d2c mobo i believe) you need to get the D2ckey. its more expensive, and a LOT more soldering involved (31 wires
frown.gif
) but its supposed to be more feature heavy than the other chips out there. and iirc d2ckey was one of the first ones with updated firmware to run SMG, whereas Wiikey was the last one.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
D2C wiis are every where now. Buy a new wii and pretty much 100% it will be D2C. Wouldn't really worry too much , there is a 13 wire mod for it coming soon from infectus , so no more 31 wires.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you buy a used wii, all wii's in the market now will be d2c. So your current option is d2ckey. If you wait, you'll have infectus to consider. That said, both these are more intensive than early wii's with dms/d2a/d2b uncut. d2b cut requires a bit of work too, but not many wires still.

ISO's are images. For wii, they're the size of a single layer dvd. You don't need to keep them on your hard drive, but you should probably do pie/pif testing after every burn to ensure it's a good burn, and ensure it plays. Also you gotta watch out not to scratch the discs. The wii is pretty sensitive. Or else you'll be redownloading a lot.

It sounds like you might need to look into a friend or someone to solder it.

zeppo

change my avatar!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think my dad will be able to solder it. Anyway, when is "infectus" coming out? Is that much easier to install (enough so to make it worth the wait) than d2ckey?

crap. I just realized that the few sites that have d2ckeys have them at about 20 bucks more than the other modchips. Anyone have a site that has d2ckey for well under 60 dollars?

p.s. sorry about the double post.

EDIT by Hadrian: Thats ok, I merged them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1