WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I need a smartphone that comes with at least 4.X version of Android and that uses an LCD panel with 480x800 resolution. I compared Samsung's phones and couldn't find any that fit these criteria. They either have Android 2.3 with an LCD or Android 4.X with an AMOLED. AMOLED sucks since I prefer natural colors of LCDs.

Alternatively, if anyone finds a bluetooth gamepad that can pair up and connect with an Android 2.3 device it would suffice also. The IPEGA and Speedlink gamepads won't connect with my old Android 2.3 device.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
I need a smartphone that comes with at least 4.X version of Android and that uses an LCD panel with 480x800 resolution. I compared Samsung's phones and couldn't find any that fit these criteria. They either have Android 2.3 with an LCD or Android 4.X with an AMOLED. AMOLED sucks since I prefer natural colors of LCDs.

Alternatively, if anyone finds a bluetooth gamepad that can pair up and connect with an Android 2.3 device it would suffice also. The IPEGA and Speedlink gamepads won't connect with my old Android 2.3 device.

Have a look at the xperia play, It has a 480x800 screen, has a built in joystick, and runs Android 2.3. You can get one pretty cheap these days.

Android 3.0 was when official joystick support was added, but you can use iCade support on older android devices. The app has to specifically support the iCade though.

One other option are joysticks similar to these:
http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-game-controller-v2/104425
http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-bluetooth-controller/97838
http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-keyboard-controller/104426

They act like a wireless keyboard, and use a single keypress for each input (wasd for directional input, and numbers for the buttons). This will work with just about any app that supports key remapping. The last two have the advantage of being able to be used as a keyboard and an Android gamepad, when you upgrade your phone.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Isn't AMOLED supposed to have more natural colors compared to regular LCDs?
Why are you limiting yourself to 800x480?
Maybe look at some HTC devices, they use S-LCD instead of AMOLED.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Why are you talking about resolution and then about AMOLED? I'm sick of super high DPI as well but higher resolution shouldn't make anything worse? (unless some emulator is missing resolution change and phone model in use sucks)
Just forget about Samsung, their software is huge bloatware these days and I also dislike AMOLED as colors are too unnatural and bright with that. LG, Sony and HTC makes really good android models, especially LG Nexus models have been really great.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Isn't AMOLED supposed to have more natural colors compared to regular LCDs?
It's backwards. OLED/AMOLEDs produce too saturated colors. I played Super Soccer (SNES) on an AMOLED device and I couldn't stand the green of the grass field. Super Mario World is another example of a game that has too saturated green. LCDs produce much more natural colors though sometimes on some devices they can be a bit pale. IPS-LCDs are the perfect screens in my opinion. Basically they combine the advantages of both OLEDs and TFT-LCDs in one screen without some of the disadvantages. I reckon because of this Sony uses IPS-LCDs for the new Vita-2000.

Why are you limiting yourself to 800x480?
Because I don't need HD on a small portable device that I use for retro emulation. 800x480 is a good measure for SNES games.

Anyway, after much research I decided to order an HTC One SV. Should arrive soon.

htc-one-sv-l45-black.png

Reactions: Deleted-236924

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are lots of tuts/kits for rooting that phone so there shouldn't be a problem.

LGs are the worst for customizing that I've seen. Some actually use a Windows Phone tool to factory restore bricked phones since they lack decent Android tool support. :wtf:

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're looking for good budget devices with the latest version, just order the Moto E ($130) or the Moto G ($180)

They both run Android 4.4 Kitkat and have capable hardware for emulation.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This response is a bit late, but the LG Optimus F3 is a great cheap phone that meets your specs. It's got a 4-inch 480x800 screen, and it's running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean. I've got one myself on Virgin Mobile (prepaid) and it's actually a pretty beefy machine for only costing me $100. It has a 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM, but it's surprisingly very quick and snappy. I tested the GBA emulator on it and it worked very well with every game I threw at it (even Golden Sun).

The major disadvantage of the F3 is that it only comes with 8 GB of internal space, and Android Jellybean takes up a huge amount of that. You can't install very many apps before you start running out of space. There appears to be a method to root it so you can load some apps to your SD card, but I haven't tried it myself.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to be rooted to transfer many apps to external storage. However, when rooted you can transfer most apps -- not just those with built-in support. Search the Play Store for app2sd. You can also do this manually in the app section of Settings but that can be painfully tedious since many app2sd tools will let you do batch processing.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to know man, I wasn't aware of that. I only use this F3 as a secondary phone so I haven't looked too deeply into figuring out the solution to that issue.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
LGs are the worst for customizing that I've seen. Some actually use a Windows Phone tool to factory restore bricked phones since they lack decent Android tool support. :wtf:

I never got that problem. Customization was never a problem. I found Samsung and HTC phones far more troublesome.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mainly the problems with many LG models are with lack of bootloader unlocking and bricking (because of this) when (ordinarily safe-to-remove) bloatware is removed/frozen. I had this happen to me, unfortunately.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hmm... My phone didn't have that problem. Probably because of how similar it is to the Nexus 4.
There's only that Security Error when you do certain mods on a locked bootloader. But I've remove most bloat off my phone without problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...