Hacking Looking for a Flashcart to trade up Pokemon

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I'm new to the flashcart scene (never owned one) and have been searching around for information on what I need for what I want to do.

Basically, I'm interested in editing Gen 5 Pokemon saves on a flashcart to then trade to a legit Gen 5 cartridge and then move to Gen 6 via Bank. After reading through this page, it seems simple enough but I'm not 100% sure which flashcart I should use. I do have a DS and 3DS to perform this.

The DS that I have is literally the oldest version of DS that exists, the first run that came out in 2004 which I bought on day one. I never bought a newer version of the DS. Therefore, I imagine my options for flashcarting are far and wide since it's never needed to update firmware.

Currently, I'm looking at this cart. It's simple, affordable, and appears to do what I need it to. I just want to be 100% sure that this the flashcart that I can use to do this. I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just something that will play games and allow me to trade between systems.

Thank you very much in advance.

ac3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one seems like it would fit your need very well. Just make sure you have a micro sd card, I would reccomend at least a 4 gigabyte card. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help! Also if you ever wan't to play more games this probably won't work on your 3ds.

Last edited by ac3ds,

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no intentions of playing this cart on the 3DS anyway. Also, why the 4 GB microSD? Would 2 GB not suffice?

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just want to transfer Pokemon then I think you should get the r4 save dongle.
Hmm, well I looked into this and I suppose it does actually look like what I would need. One question though: Is this thing compatible with Gen 6 save files? It shows a picture of Super Mario 3D Land being connected to the device.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of trading, you use Apache Thunder's TWL save tool to backup a save off a legit gen 5 cart, edit it and restore it to the cart. Backed up my Soul Silver save and moved it to my r4 and have been stealin the elite 4 pokemon. Haha.But the point is you can use a legit cart, edit the save and then transfer up. Save some cash

EDIT: plus cuts the middle man of trading one at a time.

SUPER EDIT: Also you need to be able to run cias for twl save tool, I believe.

Last edited by MajinCubyan,

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of trading, you use Apache Thunder's TWL save tool to backup a save off a legit gen 5 cart, edit it and restore it to the cart. Backed up my Soul Silver save and moved it to my r4 and have been stealin the elite 4 pokemon. Haha.But the point is you can use a legit cart, edit the save and then transfer up. Save some cash

EDIT: plus cuts the middle man of trading one at a time.

SUPER EDIT: Also you need to be able to run cias for twl save tool, I believe.
It appears that wouldn't work for me, as it's a custom DSiWare. As I said, I have the super old (original 2004 version) blocky DS.

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really comfortable with putting homebrew on my 3DS just yet. I only got a 3DS like 2 weeks ago, too worried about bricking it.

SlenderPanda02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this on a different thread about Transfering:

"1. Use an r4i w/ Pokémon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum / HeartGold / SoulSilver.
2. Get a REAL copy of Pokémon Black / White.
3. Use Pokémon Transporter through the route to the right of Nimbasa City and send over your DPP/HGSS Pokémon.
4. Run PokéTransfer and send the Pokémon to Pokémon Bank, then withdraw them.
5. Celebrate.

If you want to access BW Pokémon, get a Action Replay / r4i Save Dongle for actual game cartridge save editing. For XY Pokémon, get a Powersaves. It's easy to use and doesn't require much."

Yes, indeed the r4i Save Dongle works for 3DS Games but NOT 3DS Pokémon Games. There should be a list of 3DS Games it supports on the website.
I would not recommend the r4i Save Dongle though as I received it and after the first day it broke and never worked again. [was using PKMN Black]

EDIT: Should probably state which Flashcart's I'm currently using / used.
www.r4ids.com - R4i Gold 2.0 - AKAIO 1.8.6 Firmware : LOVELY card in my opinion. Supports almost every NDS Game. [PKMN BW/2 compatible]
www.iedgeds.co.uk - Edge Card - I forgot, bought it in 2011 : It's was... meh.

Last edited by SlenderPanda02,

TheAnt317

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this on a different thread about Transfering:

"1. Use an r4i w/ Pokémon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum / HeartGold / SoulSilver.
2. Get a REAL copy of Pokémon Black / White.
3. Use Pokémon Transporter through the route to the right of Nimbasa City and send over your DPP/HGSS Pokémon.
4. Run PokéTransfer and send the Pokémon to Pokémon Bank, then withdraw them.
5. Celebrate.

If you want to access BW Pokémon, get a Action Replay / r4i Save Dongle for actual game cartridge save editing. For XY Pokémon, get a Powersaves. It's easy to use and doesn't require much."

Yes, indeed the r4i Save Dongle works for 3DS Games but NOT 3DS Pokémon Games. There should be a list of 3DS Games it supports on the website.
I would not recommend the r4i Save Dongle though as I received it and after the first day it broke and never worked again. [was using PKMN Black]

EDIT: Should probably state which Flashcart's I'm currently using / used.
www.r4ids.com - R4i Gold 2.0 - AKAIO 1.8.6 Firmware : LOVELY card in my opinion. Supports almost every NDS Game. [PKMN BW/2 compatible]
www.iedgeds.co.uk - Edge Card - I forgot, bought it in 2011 : It's was... meh.
Too late for that now, since I already have the Save Dongle now. I ended up using it to install Oot3Dhax and now I'm using PKHex to do the Pokemon editing I wanted to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock