Homebrew Loading WiiWare/VC from SD/USB (Sneek, Triiforce...)

raptir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What application is best for this? All I want is to load WiiWare directly from an SD card/USB drive instead of using the SD channel where it copies it to my NAND every time I want to play. I've read a few posts around and there seem to be conflicting opinions. What are the pros/cons of each?

guitarloser85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use triiforce. It's compatible with all but a few WW titles and plays all VC from what I've seen and the best part is you can create ISO forwarders that you can install to your HDD that load in your USB loader app (wiiflow for me) just like any other game. Just if you plan on taking this route rev 18 & 19 have busted the app for the time being.

MrFrem82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!

I'm interested in triiforce,where can i find a guide to do what you said? i mean install triforce and usi WiiWare a VC games from USB?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...loading wiiware from USB/SD isn't exactly any program...it requires basically an emulator that acts as the wii's hard drive (the nand). As such, compatibility isn't all that guaranteed. Quite a few games run, but don't expect just any game to automatically work.

-triiforce is the most commonly known one. However, as this relies on waninkoko's cIOS, this means that you need to make sure the versions match. rev17 is currently the best choice to play wiiware. It can be used to play wiiware from either SD, USB or the NAND itself (for SD and USB, you'll need to have a nand dump in the root)
-triiforce mrc is a mod of triiforce that adds a decent GUI to it. I recommend this one over triiforce, but that's a personal choice
-from what I hear, sneek has the best compatibility (thus far I haven't heard anyone mentioning something doesn't work on it). And no wonder, as this is a project to run your entire wii from SD. That it can run wiiware is pretty much a convenient extra. The disadvantages are that it can only run it from SD, and that it's (IMO) pretty hard to actually get it working (link to a guide...but don't ask me anything further).
-just recently, Hermes's USB loader (uloader) gained the feature to load wiiware. You'll need his latest CIOS for it and at least uloader 4.8A (at the moment, 4.9A is the latest version), but other than that, the installation is easier than the previous ones (read: you don't have to mess that much with the nand dump). This link'll get you started.
I hear quite a few good things about its capacities, but I can't share in it (I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but I manage to crash it everytime). EDIT: I must've been wrong: it does work on USB. Oh...and uloader isn't exactly the nicest-looking loader out there.

@MrFrem82: check this page for the info.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
raptir, the easiest way is to install the wiiware or vc with the help of showmiiwads on the pc. on the wii, launch triiforce or "triiforce mrc" and you can play most of the games. a few doesn't work, like orbient.

look for guides.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i play all my VC/WW games off of SD im also using System Menu 4.2U & 4.2J all i did was follow xzxero's Modify any Wii 4.2 & below guide...also it doesnt force the games onto the nand

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
syko5150 said:
i play all my VC/WW games off of SD im also using System Menu 4.2U & 4.2J all i did was follow xzxero's Modify any Wii 4.2 & below guide...also it doesnt force the games onto the nand

Your way of doing it copies a game to the nand to launch, is limited by the number of free blocks you have on the nand, can't be taken to another Wii, puts the game saves on the nand, can't use cheats etc etc etc.
Nintendos way is crap.

Triiforce and uLoader don't have these restrictions and you can use your HDD or SD card.

raptir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, it's not limited by the number of free blocks on your NAND. When you update to system menu 4.0 (if that's the one that added the SD Menu, I don't remember) it reserves something like 350 blocks (whatever the max size for a WiiWare game is) for your SD Menu games, and copies it to that space. So, those 350 blocks are always marked as full once you update to 4.0.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
raptir said:
To be fair, it's not limited by the number of free blocks on your NAND. When you update to system menu 4.0 (if that's the one that added the SD Menu, I don't remember) it reserves something like 350 blocks (whatever the max size for a WiiWare game is) for your SD Menu games, and copies it to that space. So, those 350 blocks are always marked as full once you update to 4.0.

No it doesn't work like that.

This is how it works the Nintendo way.....

Goto SD launch game > Wii checks space > if not enough space "failed to load" > if enough space "copy to nand and launch"

So it doesn't reserve any space until you go to launch a game. The last game you launched will stay on the nand until you launch a differnt title from SD.

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood how these work? So i have my wiiware in my sd menu is this just a fancier way of showing the wiiware i have on my sd or what? does this save room, is there anything better about this then the actual sd menu?

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LxTrix said:
I never understood how these work? So i have my wiiware in my sd menu is this just a fancier way of showing the wiiware i have on my sd or what? does this save room, is there anything better about this then the actual sd menu?

well using a fat32 hardrive and emulated nand on it would mean you have storage space = to the fat 32 hd space while using wii nand you have 512mb of space.

i have a 1tb fat32 drive with my wii games and i wanted some vc and ww games so in the 700 gigs i have free i can put as many ww and vc games as I want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: