ROM Hack List of games that need a 1Mb save?

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Is there a list of all the DS games that need a 1Mb save file? I'm asking because I started to play many games before I found out about savlib files, so except for Zelda ST and Pokemon Platinum, all of my games have 512kb saves, and I'm kinda worried one of them will get a corrupted save any moment... I already checked this list, but it's pretty old... And I need to know specially about Mario and Luigi 3, since even if I already finished it, someone else is going to play on the other file, and the data on the second file may be past the 512kb... Thanks for the help
laugh.gif

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
AFAIK, the only games you mentioned need a 1MB savefile, being The Legend of Zelda (some people have reported that a 1Mb is not actually needed) and Pokemon.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this question has been done to death, but is there a work around with the R4 and the 1MB save file problem? I'm playing Zelda (xeno hack) on my M3 Simply (basically an R4) and i'm up to the Goron bit and don't want it to die on me.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
UniqueGeek said:
Pokemon Platinum does NOT have a 1MB save, but only a 512KB save.

I don't know why everyone thinks it does.

Because it supports both, if you give it a 1Mb save it gives you a backup of your save incase your main one becomes corrupt. 512kb one it just has the main one and if it gets corrupted its gone.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
UniqueGeek said:

Because it supports both, if you give it a 1Mb save it gives you a backup of your save incase your main one becomes corrupt. 512kb one it just has the main one and if it gets corrupted its gone.
A pokemon save fits in 256KB. The 512KB save has two slots.The backup mechanism works perfectly with 512KB. Is there a sav extractor that will extract a 1MB from the cartridge?

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
UniqueGeek said:

Lots of people (me included) reported their savefiles becoming corrupted after a while when using a 512KB save. That's why the game needes a 1MB save file, I haven't encountered any problems so far and I already have 90+ hours of gameplay.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
100 book collection had a 1MB save too i think.
it can work with less, but the extra space is used to store downloaded books(this is one of the few, perhaps the only one with actual DLC)

and platinum uses 3 "blocks" for saving
block1: 0-256KB main save(game is loaded from this)
block2: 257-512KB backup save(game is loaded from this with a warning when block1 is corrupt)
block3: 513-1024KB recordings(saved replays of battles are stored here)
block 1 and 2 are required for the game to save, block3 is only required for the new battle recording feature of platinum.

interesting note, block 1 and 2 actually consist of 2 sub-blocks
all pokemon games have this, they store box data and progress data separate (in gold/silver this enabled the cloning/have all starters "cheat", and in D/P/Pl this can be seen in long and short save-times)

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
SCVgeo said:
Normmatt said:
UniqueGeek said:

A pokemon save fits in 256KB. The 512KB save has two slots.The backup mechanism works perfectly with 512KB. Is there a sav extractor that will extract a 1MB from the cartridge?

QUOTE(.Darky @ Jan 5 2010, 10:08 AM) QUOTE(UniqueGeek @ Jan 3 2010, 07:09 PM)

Lots of people (me included) reported their savefiles becoming corrupted after a while when using a 512KB save. That's why the game needes a 1MB save file, I haven't encountered any problems so far and I already have 90+ hours of gameplay.

Where is everyone getting their information?
I come from a community that likes hacking Pokemon Save Files, and it is 512KB.
256KB works, but 512KB is the actual size.

Slightly off-topic, but most of Rudolph's backup tools show as 256KB, and the ARDSi (relesaed very recently) shows as 512KB.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
it can work with less, but the extra space is used to store downloaded books(this is one of the few, perhaps the only one with actual DLC)

block2: 257-512KB backup save(game is loaded from this with a warning when block1 is corrupt)
block 1 and 2 are required for the game to save, block3 is only required for the new battle recording feature of platinum.
Can I please see a cited source?

Also, note that what you are saying goes against what Normmatt said. So who is right?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
SCVgeo said:
thedicemaster said:

Can I please see a cited source?

Also, note that what you are saying goes against what Normmatt said. So who is right?

Pokemon Platinum is the only pokemon game to support 8Mbit saves and it also supports 4Mbit saves (But as already stated some features wont work)

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
Pokemon Platinum is the only pokemon game to support 8Mbit saves and it also supports 4Mbit saves (But as already stated some features wont work)
Can you give me an example of one or more features that won't work?

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
demitrius said:
Rittai Picross had a save related problem

nah, it uses a 1mb save file as well

Normmatt said:
QUOTE(mrfatso @ Jan 5 2010, 08:30 PM) Normmatt, is the 1mb save file only for legend of zelda: Spirit tracks?

Cos when i loaded my old save file for Rittai Picross, the game freeze and when i closed my ds and have a look, i noticed that it's save file is now 1mb.

Rittai Picross also requires 1MB save size for all the downloadable content.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SCVgeo said:
Normmatt said:
battle recordings.
as those are normally stored in the last half of the savefile.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
SCVgeo said:
Normmatt said:
battle recordings.
as those are normally stored in the last half of the savefile.

What? I don't get it, I use a 512kb save and my battle recordings work fine o_o

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
mrfatso said:
demitrius said:
Rittai Picross had a save related problem

nah, it uses a 1mb save file as well

Normmatt said:
QUOTE(mrfatso @ Jan 5 2010, 08:30 PM) Normmatt, is the 1mb save file only for legend of zelda: Spirit tracks?

Cos when i loaded my old save file for Rittai Picross, the game freeze and when i closed my ds and have a look, i noticed that it's save file is now 1mb.

Rittai Picross also requires 1MB save size for all the downloadable content.
Is there any way to fix the save?

I didn't knew about that and I believe I ended up corrupting my game save while playing the downloaded puzzles - now everytime I load the game it stays in a blank screen. I really didn't want to lose all the progress I had into it
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT