Lionsgate has been hearing pitches for a "big AAA" John Wick video game

john-wick.jpg

It appears Lionsgate may be trying their hand at another John Wick game. In a recent earnings call, as spotted by IndieWire, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer announced that the studio has been "fielding proposals" for a big-budget John Wick video game.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself here, but we believe there is a big AAA game to be made out of ‘John Wick,’" said Feltheimer. "We have been fielding proposals. We certainly are interested in moving that forward, but I don’t want to say anything more about that at this time.”

Lionsgate has already tested these waters with John Wick Hex back in 2019. Developed by Mike Bithell of Thomas Was Alone and Volume, Hex was an indie title that took out the fast-paced gun-fu action of the films and substituted in turn-based combat with a heavy emphasis on time management. While it was generally liked upon release, it was seen as a poor use of the license and not representative of the films.

Perhaps inspired by this response, it appears Lionsgate is looking into making a game that's closer in line with what many fans wanted a John Wick game to look like.

MasterPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Somebody may have said "big AAA game" but the only thing the suits heard was
"game on shoestring budget to maximize profit through IP alone"

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be great, but I'm sure they just tackle together a load of quick time events and act like they've created the best thing ever (whoever gets the rights to the license)

Max Payne style would go well

Reactions: urbanman2004

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There have been interesting takes on the concept before that could serve as a reference (Max Payne, Stranglehold, Wanted weapons of fate, I will throw Wet into the mix, Riddick was mentioned above and I could see it as a basis for some of the stealth/outnumbered/better by dint of planning) but where I know we all hope for some best of all of those made in modern style I will believe it when I see it, instead if I am betting then hurr durr cover based shooter is going to be it, possibly with a driving section because.

BeiBourne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing about the movies was they didn't take themselves too seriously, and just lent into their own unique vibe. hoping they can keep that in the game this time round

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"AAA title" kind of informs the shape of the game, so it's going to be an open world action adventure game with crafting elements and creepy uncanny valley mo-cap faces.

Hotline Miami would be perfect for a John Wick title, but when "AAA" is the emphasis for Lionsgate, that ain't happenin'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1