Hacking Linux help, please?

sven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It shows 307MB 'cause there's a hole between MEM1 and MEM2 and linux didn't suport such configurations when the patches were originally written.
As a workaround the whole range from the start of MEM1 including the hole to the end of MEM2 was declared as memory with the hole marked as bad so that no allocations would happen.
the wii has 24MB 1T-SRAM ("really really fast RAM") plus 64mb GDDR3 RAm ("not so fast RAM"). ARAM in gamecube mode is emulated using the 64mb, which gives you a total of 88mb.

Reactions: Maxternal

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, I guess I don't know what I'm looking at then. It's interesting that I also see "MemTotal: 66456 kB" right under the 307, though, so I'm lost there.

Anyway, when you say that hitting the launch bootmii option in HBC only gives you a black screen, is there a file in your /bootmii folder called something like mike5.elf that you could rename to ppcboot.elf, replacing the one that I had sent you and THEN see if you still get a black screen (if you've already tried that, that's okay.)

they are the same exact size to the byte, so I suspect the same file.

-rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 31892 May 16 10:03 armboot.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 2696468 Dec 6 2009 mikep5.elf
-rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 2696468 May 17 10:29 ppcboot.old

im going to try something though, that armboot seems bigger than the one I compiled. I'd still like you to compile your own to see if we get the same thing.

EDIT: nope, same one, you compile and tell me if it ends up the same size. (armboot.bin)

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
got it, like I said though, will probably have to wait a bit and I don't have my usb keyboard here (at the office and I'm not going in there for anything this week otherwise they'll put me to work lol).

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it, like I said though, will probably have to wait a bit and I don't have my usb keyboard here (at the office and I'm not going in there for anything this week otherwise they'll put me to work lol).
ok had some time to play with it after keyboard support. there will be no cdrom or wifi without bootmii launch of linux. the end. back to drawing board.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok had some time to play with it after keyboard support. there will be no cdrom or wifi without bootmii launch of linux. the end. back to drawing board.
Wouldn't be an option, if f0f would be as nice to provide the source, to look how bootmii boots Wii Menu, and examine posibilities to get BootMii booting linux instead of Wii Menu? It would require some mods to Mini I think

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The magic part is missing. It's the launcher that gets installed with the hackmii installer (ios 254).
It uses an exploit that no longer seems to work under wiiu vwii.
Neither the sources nor the details how it works are known.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PM the IRC. About a week from now I am looking into investing direct nand / eMMC access. I'll see what I can contribute when available.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the info Marcan.
Our tests indeed also proved that it still worked to launch armboot.bin on the wiiu vwii by loading ios 254.
It's the fact that the ppc code wasn't running anymore that kept us busy for a while.
We are pretty much ready to load the 1-200 into memory and look for it's first byte being decrypted.
It's a slow progress, but we had to figure out the hard way that rushing things leads to false conclusions like my statement above.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Marcan.
Our tests indeed also proved that it still worked to launch armboot.bin on the wiiu vwii by loading ios 254.
It's the fact that the ppc code wasn't running anymore that kept us busy for a while.
We are pretty much ready to load the 1-200 into memory and look for it's first byte being decrypted.
It's a slow progress, but we had to figure out the hard way that rushing things leads to false conclusions like my statement above.
At Linux yet? 3 cores "spun up"?

EDIT: While I did type everything above "At Linux yet? 3 cores up" I did not intend to send. My phone browser kept it (acting stupid). My main point is after chatting with some who are not on this site and who are not necessarily in the Wii U scene (exclusively) I had some conclusions that I was led to. While I fully understand what people SAID and presented, it makes me curious. SDK for each system is "had" basically, keys are "found", exploits "had" and also even GAMES to be used are had (some are secrets, lol). This is really a better way to say what I was wondering today. Some browsers keep what you type right in the "reply" box. I was not trying to lay out flame bait (done with that).

Maxternal: from OBCD's post, loading the 1-200 and finding the first byte that is being decrypted, so you are past that and PPC stuff is not working?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...