Hacking Linux help, please?

sven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
you shouldn't even care about a distro yet - the kernel itself isn't even running with the three cores!
and linux will not just "do its magic" after you jump to a random powerpc kernel - linux can do its magic on a computer because someone sat down and wrote support for all that hardware and SMP and so on. *you* need to do that for the espresso.
getting the three cores up and running is just the very first step, after that the real hard work begins. and afaict you haven't even implemented the memory race on starbuck yet....

so, again:
1) get the race on starbuck working by putting some code that just sets a magic flag somewhere in memory so that you can verify that you have code running before espresso turned itself into broadway
2) write some code to test and bring up the three cores. the stuff marcan posted is just what CafeOS does. some of those pokes will likely not work and/or just crash your wiiu.
3) then you can start thinking about bringing up the linux kernel with SMP support.
4) bring up the new WLAN driver, fix the USB code to actually work,....
5) now you can start looking into the right distro

you haven't even attempted 1 yet, your attempts at 2 can be summarised as "Rewrite that C pseudocode into ASM" you think 3 and 4 are unnecessary because "linux does magic and stuff" and you're already thinking about 5. this doesn't look that great to me.
all you're doing is discussing and clobbering some threads where a few people are actually trying to get some work done. you have ~20 pages of mostly useless discussions and "what-if" scenarios and "I have this really great idea but no technical knowledge at all".

sven

Reactions: izzydeank and Arm73

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you haven't even attempted 1 yet, your attempts at 2 can be summarised as "Rewrite that C pseudocode into ASM" you think 3 and 4 are unnecessary because "linux does magic and stuff" and you're already thinking about 5. this doesn't look that great to me.
all you're doing is discussing and clobbering some threads where a few people are actually trying to get some work done. you have ~20 pages of mostly useless discussions and "what-if" scenarios and "I have this really great idea but no technical knowledge at all".

sven

This summarize pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.
That ray lewis comes off as the most pushy, manipulative member of these forums.
He's like a baby crying " I want Wii U homebrew mom !! " banging his fists on the table.
PM here, PM there, thank you for this, this is awesome.......
I appreciate the effort to try to motivate people here, but at the end of the day, without deep hardware/coding knowledge,we are sadly going nowhere.

Besides, we have good homebrew on the Wii already.
We are talking of a massive amount of work here to create an eco system on the Wii U and for what ?
I can't think of anything I would want on the Wii U, besides improved emulators maybe.
But that , would be just another way to get free games.

The Wii U already has a good browser for example, and a lot can be done on the web.
For everything else there are smart phones, computers and handled gaming systems already available that can do pretty much everything.

Most people would probably like to unlock their Wii U to play backups, and that is pure piracy.
If piracy is all you want, I'd recommend to invest some money in a Wii U modchip ( when the right one comes along ), and maybe have ray lewis help you install it as he has amazing soldering skills, which according to him marcan has not.

Sorry to burst your bobble, but homebrew on the Wii U is just not worth it under any circumstances.
If all you want is free games, there are panty of cheaper / easier alternatives out there.

Reactions: Cyan

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe some people don't have the proper skills (yet) to open up the wiiu, and for them it's still a challenge to try.
I really don't see what could possibly be wrong with that. It can be a great learning experience.
Some emulators could use some extra cpu power and memory. Dosbox for instance is slow as hell on the wii.
So, why come here and try to break their motivation? Porting linux to a new open hardware platform is already a challenge.
Porting it to a closed platform like the wiiu is even a bigger one.
Every step, no matter how little it is, can help others to make small steps forward as well.
All what is missing here is a place with only the relevant technical stuff, separated from the rest.
If Ray Lewis is having fun trying to glue pieces together, so be it.
If you feel he shouldn't PM you about stuff, ask him to stop doing it.
If he isn't listening, you still can complain.
If all you have to say is that "Homebrew on the wiiu isn't worth the trouble", you are posting in the wrong forum. :)

Reactions: Maxternal

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most people would probably like to unlock their Wii U to play backups, and that is pure piracy.
If piracy is all you want, I'd recommend to invest some money in a Wii U modchip ( when the right one comes along )

Does the modchip you are talking about allow you to mod your games? Better res, smoother gameplay, etc, etc? Does it allow you to run emu's on the tablet? Does it give you access to the root of the Wii U? There are a lot more uses for backups than Piracy so pull your head out of your ass and quit talking shit.

I haven't seen Ray, not once, bash on Marcan or claim that he, himself is an experienced hacker. In fact he constantly says the exact opposite of this.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does the modchip you are talking about allow you to mod your games? Better res, smoother gameplay, etc, etc? Does it allow you to run emu's on the tablet? Does it give you access to the root of the Wii U? There are a lot more uses for backups than Piracy so pull your head out of your ass and quit talking shit.

I haven't seen Ray, not once, bash on Marcan or claim that he, himself is an experienced hacker. In fact he constantly says the exact opposite of this.
Take a look at this:
Everyone has skills. Mine are basketball, Texas Hold'em, Psychology, working with developmentally disabled (mostly children but some adults), and martial arts. I also am well versed in Physics. Unfortunately, while this helps my self esteem, and I doubt Marcan has any of those skills, this is not applicable here. I dabbled a LITTLE in Java but that is laughable to most who code and this was one semester to see if I wanted to go that route. Building, repairing, upgrading networks and computers has been my passion--and soldering. I should have kept contacts from college who were heavily into all of this stuff. Advocating for the poor and disadvantaged for public services and legal rights is something else I am known for. Some decent mathematical abilities as well.

Cool you had that experience. You also obviously have some "people skills" in how you execute a discourse with other people Comex.
And this:

All you want is piracy, and while some are helping, leeches like you just hope homebrew fails because it could also give for free what you are doing by charging anyway. I hope Marcan pisses in your face or somebody else does. Know where you can stick those mod chips? Ignore after this, lol.

Now, that brings me to the question, WTF does he know about Marcan to feel entitled to talk this way ?
And, he doesn't come off as a nice, helping fellow either when pushed in the corner.
Does the modchip you are talking about allow you to mod your games? Better res, smoother gameplay, etc, etc?

No, a modchip can't do that, but my PC can..........;)
Why would anyone spend an insane amount of work ( other people work BTW ) to achieve things already available it's behind my comprehension.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't think of anything I would want on the Wii U, besides improved emulators maybe.
I would like applications, such as VNC viewer (or any similar dedicated software made by Nintendo?) to control my computer with the pad, and improving the actual features of the WiiU like dual (Analog) audio output when using HMDI cable ! Why can't nintendo make such a thing?

Reactions: Arm73

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take a look at this:

And this:

Now, that brings me to the question, WTF does he know about Marcan to feel entitled to talk this way ?
And, he doesn't come off as a nice, helping fellow either when pushed in the corner.

No, a modchip can't do that, but my PC can..........;)
Why would anyone spend an insane amount of work ( other people work BTW ) to achieve things already available it's behind my comprehension.

OK, you got me on Ray, I missed those posts, though I will say that the one about the chip, I think you misconstrued. He was ranting about the chip and stating he hoped Marcan would do something that make them irrelevant.

As far as the other thing, do you care to share your method of modding WiiU games on your pc because I didn't realize that option was available without a hacked console......

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
derailed.

back on track please.
Can anyone offer advice from my syslog output that would suggest what is wrong with USB? is there an IRQ conflict? I don't have anything plugged in but USB Keyboard (though, it does have some extra function keys) anyone else care to try?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Sven. Maxternal started something. I tried to mention it to other people. You know, bring others to help Maxternal. I am an idiot who does networking and device repair. Mostly PCB stuff as many won't touch a soldering iron. Being stupid, ignorant, and misguided is what I am here.

Frustrated? Sure. Little angry the "gods of hacking with full control of Wii U" leave it to us ants to scurry around brainstorming and at least sharing our passion. I meant what I said about using keys, sharing knowledge, and taking 360 approach. Could be 10 years per Marcan's assessment of our lack of skills before we get anywhere. Yet, each day we have only had heart. We felt like we were doing "Something."

I appreciate some of the defense. I disagreed with Marcan. From android and to portable systems existing in Wii days, to other views I won't rehash. A guy said homebrew was not needed and I said I hope Marcan releases unlock and pisses on them. Meant their work. Really, I do believe even the piracy excuse is null given pirate chips are about to be released. Leave it to ants while "Others can do this easily" is arrogant in my view. I tweeted, asked questions, gave some jabs, and I think only Megazig was a person I insulted. Linux over vWii, just like mega said, except not even a release--lowly people trying it aimlessly per some of the "Titans" as Venom put it.

I see Cyan is here now also. Sven, mega, others who may read this...I am not sorry. I hardly consider anything to be "Bashing.". Just as I am mocked in comments, or Maxternal for trying, I could probably mock others for abilities they lack. Everyone has value and I know a tree by its fruit. Nobody needs to say I am an annoying, relentless, sarcastic, idiotic, misinformed, and ignorant day dreamer who speaks his mind. Nobody needs to defend me either.

So, I am done pursuing. Done tweeting, done seeking help, done with disagreeing. I wish f0f success, thanks for stopping by Sven, and others. Maxternal began this from Marcan's blog. Of course I will wait and hope to see what I've been after but with no skills myself (needed for this), and no success recruiting those with skills (per Marcan's assessment), I no longer have the potential to help. Maxternal needs help though as they are the only one I've publicly seen try anything. Good luck Maxternal, and others who try to help out.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If I understand things right, the linux you are using was a port for the gamecube?
To my knowledge, that system wasn't having usb, but I could be wrong about it.
In case I am not, I don't expect it to support usb just like that. If it was a wii port, that's something different.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't give up Ray Lewis. I've been following your contributions to this forum, and while you're not able to provided tangible work on the code yourself, you've been motivating and cheer-leading which I think is great. Many talented coders/hackers just need that motivation to come out of the woodwork.
I also don't have the right skills to contribute to any code, so I stay silent and just read, but you've been putting yourself out there and leading a charge and thats commendable.

As for the question - Do we even need an unlocked wii-u seeing as there many homebrew devices already out there?... I look at great mod communities like MarioKart CTGP and Smash Bros Project M that kick life into a console that otherwise would be collecting dust, I think homebrew is what makes a console. The Wii-u needs homebrew to be relevant.

Reactions: rednekcowboy

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I understand things right, the linux you are using was a port for the gamecube?
To my knowledge, that system wasn't having usb, but I could be wrong about it.
In case I am not, I don't expect it to support usb just like that. If it was a wii port, that's something different.

Geez, Either I am reading way too much into the latest development with linux, or the community doesn't really seem to care.

1. Gamecube had 24MB RAM? or something around there. Wii has 512MB.
2. This Linux kernel is detecting 300-something megs of ram. Could be because some memory needs to be reserved for IOS, but I can only speculate.
3. The name of the project is 'gc-linux', but they also made a Wii implementation (seriously, somebody look at at this, I never owned a Wii so all of this crap is NEW to me.)
4. I found the Kernel Source for gc-linux, as well as the '.config' which contains the parameters for driver/device support in this kernel release. That means this kernel can be recompiled.
5. We've already established that to some extent, this operating system can reach outside the normal boundaries of AN ORDINARY WII, i.e. it can see all four USB ports, not just the 2 the Wii had. Yes, usb hub support. Point is, its visible to the kernel.
6. How am I booting Linux? I'm launching it through HBC. Using the system menu to start BootMii still results in blank screen.
7. My understanding of benefits of bootmii launch vs IOS launch, was bootmii enabled support for USB2.0 and WiFi. Well, right out of the box, the kernel may not fully utilize this hardware, but it DETECTS it. That means its visible to the kernel. Its a DRIVER ISSUE at this point.

Please, I'm no where near experienced enough to do this on my own. I've recompiled kernels, I can build programs from source, do some code modification and research, but I could use some help. I wish someone here would follow that procedure I linked and get Linux booting and see if their USB keyboard works.

If needed,I can make a raw image of my 2GB SDHC card and put it somewhere, then someone with a 2GB SD card can write it to theirs with all the necessary partitions, etc, though, i don't think that tutorial was very hard to follow.

@Rayman - Buck up soldier! You letting these goons get to you? Come on. Its ok to take a step back for a little bit, I understand your frustration. But look at all the exposure you've already managed to get this. You've got people coming here and commenting from various groups and boards.

Its the nature of the hacking scene (from experience, I was a script kiddie in a past life) to be stubborn, arrogant, a-holes. They don't want to see you succeed. They want THEIR name on a release. A release (of this type) from a true community effort such as this is something completely unusual in the scene.

So chill out, go punt some babies. Smoke a doob. Come back with a clear head, and find me someone to look at the kernel source.

PLEASE read this:

http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Download#Kernel_Patches_.28Source_Code.29

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geez, Either I am reading way too much into the latest development with linux, or the community doesn't really seem to care.

2. This Linux kernel is detecting 300-something megs of ram. Could be because some memory needs to be reserved for IOS, but I can only speculate.
3. The name of the project is 'gc-linux', but they also made a Wii implementation (seriously, somebody look at at this, I never owned a Wii so all of this crap is NEW to me.)
4. I found the Kernel Source for gc-linux, as well as the '.config' which contains the parameters for driver/device support in this kernel release. That means this kernel can be recompiled.
5. We've already established that to some extent, this operating system can reach outside the normal boundaries of AN ORDINARY WII, i.e. it can see all four USB ports, not just the 2 the Wii had. Yes, usb hub support. Point is, its visible to the kernel.
6. How am I booting Linux? I'm launching it through HBC. Using the system menu to start BootMii still results in blank screen.
7. My understanding of benefits of bootmii launch vs IOS launch, was bootmii enabled support for USB2.0 and WiFi. Well, right out of the box, the kernel may not fully utilize this hardware, but it DETECTS it. That means its visible to the kernel. Its a DRIVER ISSUE at this point.

Please, I'm no where near experienced enough to do this on my own. I've recompiled kernels, I can build programs from source, do some code modification and research, but I could use some help. I wish someone here would follow that procedure I linked and get Linux booting and see if their USB keyboard works.

If needed,I can make a raw image of my 2GB SDHC card and put it somewhere, then someone with a 2GB SD card can write it to theirs with all the necessary partitions, etc, though, i don't think that tutorial was very hard to follow.

@Rayman - Buck up soldier! You letting these goons get to you? Come on. Its ok to take a step back for a little bit, I understand your frustration. But look at all the exposure you've already managed to get this. You've got people coming here and commenting from various groups and boards.

Its the nature of the hacking scene (from experience, I was a script kiddie in a past life) to be stubborn, arrogant, a-holes. They don't want to see you succeed. They want THEIR name on a release. A release (of this type) from a true community effort such as this is something completely unusual in the scene.

So chill out, go punt some babies. Smoke a doob. Come back with a clear head, and find me someone to look at the kernel source.

PLEASE read this:

http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Download#Kernel_Patches_.28Source_Code.29

If you want to make an image of your 2GB card, I'll test it out but probably won't be until later today sometime. I think I still have a 2GB card in my old wii....Using an shhc card in the wii u.

EDIT: NM, my usb keyboard is at work. I only have my bluetooth one here at home. On a side note, I'm off all this week so I can test just about any time wed, thurs, or firday. Monday I might be able to do some testing as the kids have the day off so it will be spotty and Tuesday is my 8 year wedding anniversary so I'll be *cough* busy...... :P

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like applications, such as VNC viewer (or any similar dedicated software made by Nintendo?) to control my computer with the pad, and improving the actual features of the WiiU like dual (Analog) audio output when using HMDI cable ! Why can't nintendo make such a thing?
I would like to see this too. I almost bought new Receiver that could handle HDMI audio, but I saw that component cable video was better than HDMI video, in another board.

Anyway, if they hack wiiu to play wiiu back ups, I'll download as many games I can find. No, I don't play video games. My son doesn't play any of the (50+ games), that downloaded on wii, he just play 5-6 games, that I bought for him.

My point, there are people like me, who just do it for no real purpose, just like to play with newznab.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Actually The Wii only has
24megs(mem1)+64megs(mem2)+16megs(ARAM ... if you want to count that) which only totals out to 104megs. I can only guess that what's being shown there is virtual memory or something.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
24megs(mem1)+64megs(mem2)+16megs(ARAM ... if you want to count that) which only totals out to 104megs. I can only guess that what's being shown there is virtual memory or something.

I think he confused the system RAM with the NAND, which was 512 MB, I don't know for sure though.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a side note. Although I wasn't able to get my keyboard working (i think its USB 2.0, only 1.1 driver being loaded), I was able to modify the startup scripts to run some commands for me. Here is the output, including kernel version, CPUINFO, and MEMINFO. wlan0 not detected.

Code:
Linux whiite 2.6.32-isobel-wii #7 PREEMPT Tue Dec 8 17:02:27 CET 2009 ppc GNU/Linux
processor    : 0
cpu        : 750CL
clock        : 729.000000MHz
revision    : 114.0 (pvr 0008 7200)
bogomips    : 121.50
timebase    : 60750000
platform    : wii
model        : NintendoWii
vendor        : IBM
machine        : Nintendo Wii
Memory        : 307 MB
MemTotal:          66456 kB
MemFree:          34960 kB
Buffers:            1532 kB
Cached:            14968 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            9668 kB
Inactive:          9344 kB
Active(anon):      3488 kB
Inactive(anon):        0 kB
Active(file):      6180 kB
Inactive(file):    9344 kB
Unevictable:          0 kB
Mlocked:              0 kB
SwapTotal:            0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:              488 kB
Writeback:            0 kB
AnonPages:          2528 kB
Mapped:            3620 kB
Shmem:              976 kB
Slab:              11056 kB
SReclaimable:      1880 kB
SUnreclaim:        9176 kB
KernelStack:        312 kB
PageTables:          248 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      33228 kB
Committed_AS:      5788 kB
VmallocTotal:    686076 kB
VmallocUsed:        1616 kB
VmallocChunk:    684120 kB
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                504M  306M  174M  64% /
/dev/root            504M  306M  174M  64% /
tmpfs                  33M    0  33M  0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                  10M  972K  9.1M  10% /dev
tmpfs                  33M  4.0K  33M  1% /dev/shm

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux doesn't have "Virtual Memory" like windows does.
It has "Swap space" which is a special partition. I think what's being shown is PHYSICAL memory. You'll see in my post above: SwapTotal: 0 (zero).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Linux doesn't have "Virtual Memory" like windows does.
It has "Swap space" which is a special partition. I think what's being shown is PHYSICAL memory. You'll see in my post above: SwapTotal: 0 (zero).
hmm, I guess I don't know what I'm looking at then. It's interesting that I also see "MemTotal: 66456 kB" right under the 307, though, so I'm lost there.

Anyway, when you say that hitting the launch bootmii option in HBC only gives you a black screen, is there a file in your /bootmii folder called something like mike5.elf that you could rename to ppcboot.elf, replacing the one that I had sent you and THEN see if you still get a black screen (if you've already tried that, that's okay.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)