Hacking libwupc - A WiiU Pro Controller Library for Wii Homebrew Applications

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not to be rude, but why do you use Wiixplorer to change files on your usb drive? Wouldn't it be easier to do so on your computer. Don't get me wrong, I use WiiXplorer from time to time, but it isn't very often.

Because it's a hassle to unplug my USB drive, go all the way to the computer, change files, go all the way back to the Wii, and plug it back in. Not to mention it saves on wear and tear of plugging and unplugging.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curiosity has me wonder if/when RetroArch Wii can implement such a thing, probably not feasible given how much that app in and of itself takes up the Wii system memory, but it would be cool ;)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've modded snes9xgx to test so far, you can follow the link in my signature if you wanna test it.

Great news, both emulators (snes9xgx and fceugx) you've implemented WiiU Pro controller support into work flawlessly. Even going to button mapping, you can change the buttons perfectly as the emulators thinkt he controller is a Classic Controller. Awesome job! Can't tell you how awesome it is to play all my SNES games with a completely wireless controller with the right button layout.

Anyway, ShadowOne333 is right, if you do the same for VBAGX, you should use this newer version as the base: http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-vba-gx-fork-2-3-0.371284/

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wupc library sounds really neat! It would be AWESOME if it could be tweaked to allow the Wii U gamepad on Wii homebrew!!!

Don't get ahead of yourself there. The Wii U gamepad isn't as easy to understand as a Wii U pro controller, many say the effort it would take to figure it out wouldn't worth it, others say it is possible, but it will take a long time before thats a reality. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to be able to play all of the emulators right on the gamepad with the gamepad buttons being utilized as the buttons in the emulators, I just wouldn't expect such a thing anytime soon.

nickerous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, would you have to use a wiimote to enter into the hbc and load up the emulator, and then synch the wiiu pro controller? And use that to select games and play them? What about going back to the hbc? Switch back to wiimote then?

I dont own a pro controller, but this might get me to buy one....

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Correct. The Homebrew Channel doesn't support Wii U Pro Controllers, so you'd be switching back and forth. If vWii supported Priiloader, one could simply use a forwarder dol + your favourite USB loader (or postLoader as an alternative to the HBC) that supports Wii U Pro Controllers, but alas.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh man snes9xgx vWii has just become a million times better with the wiiu pro controller. The classic controller was cool but it always annoyed me the way it tethers to the wiimote. Great work Fix!
I think this is the first time we've seen vWii homebrew better than Wii homebrew!
(although the tricore Linux stuff has great potential to start some really exciting stuff)

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is exactly what I've been waiting for since I bought all those Pro U controllers to use with Devolution. Thank you so much!!!

I registered just to say how awesome you are for doing this. I always got so tired of having to constantly switch controllers or plug in a classic controller, find a place to set the Wiimote, wires hanging everywhere with friends over, etc.

Would it be possible to apply this to the WiiFlow and Wiimednafen as well?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Indeed. You can sync Wii U Pro Controllers on the original Wii's system menu, but they'll shut off after syncing since the menu tries to read from a part of the controllers' memory that doesn't like being read from. You can even turn the Wii on and off with it. It just won't do anything in homebrew programs without libwupc (or some other library like the one in Devolution) aside from turning the console on/off.

Edit: I added libwupc support to WiiXplorer, with a diff included, based on r259 (the latest/final (?) version of WiiXplorer). I didn't feel it justified making an entirely new thread, but here it is: https://anonfiles.com/file/e74924624132311103401ef5cc68505c It's provided with no warranty, so if I broke a zillion things, oh well. I tried to add support cleanly.

Reactions: [Truth]

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Did anyone try to use this new lib to check the battery level
of a Wii U pro controller ? I got a strange result (3% or 4%)
but I am sure the actual battery level should be much more (at least 80%).

The way I did is something like:
Code:
struct WUPCData *wstat = WUPC_Data(0);
printf("Wii U pro battery:%3u%%",wstat->battery);

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man snes9xgx vWii has just become a million times better with the wiiu pro controller. The classic controller was cool but it always annoyed me the way it tethers to the wiimote. Great work Fix!
I think this is the first time we've seen vWii homebrew better than Wii homebrew!
(although the tricore Linux stuff has great potential to start some really exciting stuff)

This works both on real Wiis and the vWii. Meaning that if you don't even have a Wii U, but you do have a Wii, you may now (if Nintendont wasn't already reason) have a reason to get yourself a Wii U Pro controller without the new console. I have both a Wii U and a Wii, and I've tested on both with a Wii U pro controller, I can verify it works on both a real Wii and the vWii.

Edit: got ahead of myself, I see daxtsu already actually made you aware of this, forgive me for repeating whats already been said.

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a complete idiot, but I can't get Fix94's SNES9x and FCEUGX controller mods to work.

I see a dol and a patch file... Am I supposed to patch the dol myself somehow?

I'm not new to Wii homebrew in the least, and I use my Wii U Pro controllers on Devolution all the time. I load the dol, but my Wii U controller doesn't budge. Surely, I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone please help me? =/

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a complete idiot, but I can't get Fix94's SNES9x and FCEUGX controller mods to work.

I see a dol and a patch file... Am I supposed to patch the dol myself somehow?

I'm not new to Wii homebrew in the least, and I use my Wii U Pro controllers on Devolution all the time. I load the dol, but my Wii U controller doesn't budge. Surely, I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone please help me? =/

Ignore the patch file, take the .dols rename them to boot.dol and put them in their proper folders in the app folder. In the Wii or vWii system menu (the channel select menu) hit the red sync button on both your Wii/WiiU and on the Wii U Pro controller, the controller LEDs will blink and then seemingly not sync, and the LEDs will go out (but it actually has synced), now go to the either emulator and hit any button on the controller as soon as you're in the emulator (you can do it as soon as you get to the game select screen), and the controller will be synced. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Reactions: Hakaisha

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Did anyone try to use this new lib to check the battery level
of a Wii U pro controller ? I got a strange result (3% or 4%)
but I am sure the actual battery level should be much more (at least 80%).

The way I did is something like:
Code:
struct WUPCData *wstat = WUPC_Data(0);
printf("Wii U pro battery:%3u%%",wstat->battery);

I could be wrong, but I think it's in increments of 25%. So 0 = 0%, 1 = 25%, etc..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin