Homebrew Official libiosuhax - PPC IPC library for communication to /dev/iosuhax

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are very likely not using a new build of the iosuhax. I uploaded the sources yesterday and you have to re-build it.
You were right, I hadn't pulled the latest commits. Everything works as it should now and is rather fantastic to use compared to clunky wupclient.py

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually this is how the system is intended to access FSA and hardware in generell in the first place, through IPC.
Changing permissions of files on the systems is usually a very bad idea as that is quite permanent. From my point of view this is actually not the way to go. At least not for normal users. What wupserver can do is quite awesome but accessing wupserver from PPC through a local TCP socket seems kind of weird when there is something on the system that is faster and is already designed exactly for that interprocess communication. This whole thing's purpose is for creating nice PPC applications.

Besides you still have to mount some devices as they are not always mounted so you have to have some communication to the ARM side.
Well yeah actually changing the permissions isn't the best, but it's easily possible to make them ignored IOS-side. Mounting is a decent point I guess, but couldn't you also do that from coreinit's built-in FSA commands anyhow? I just feel like if the purpose is nicer PPC applications, it would be easier to use what's already existing rather than adding another library to deal with is all. At least with RPX homebrew I'd much rather avoid relying on a /dev device which might not be implemented everywhere.

dimok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah actually changing the permissions isn't the best, but it's easily possible to make them ignored IOS-side. Mounting is a decent point I guess, but couldn't you also do that from coreinit's built-in FSA commands anyhow? I just feel like if the purpose is nicer PPC applications, it would be easier to use what's already existing rather than adding another library to deal with is all. At least with RPX homebrew I'd much rather avoid relying on a /dev device which might not be implemented everywhere.
I don't really like the FS library of Nintendo. I want to get away from that as much as possible, well at least for the SD card. For that I need raw FS functions which I can use in combination with other fs libraries like libfat which is by far better. I don't have those raw read functions on PPC. This is one way to add those.
Also this library is not only about FSA. It can do other very usefull things you can only do on the ARM side. For example ARM SVC calls. You can achieve many things with that.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been messing around with this and it will not mount /dev/odd01 (disc tickets) or /dev/odd02 (disc update) it does however mount and dump /dev/slccmpt01 (vWii slc content) those are the only functions i have tried so far i will test the rest when i have more time.

dimok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been messing around with this and it will not mount /dev/odd01 (disc tickets) or /dev/odd02 (disc update) it does however mount and dump /dev/slccmpt01 (vWii slc content) those are the only functions i have tried so far i will test the rest when i have more time.
It should be working. Are you trying to dump it with ft2sd or ftpiiu everywhere? Don't take this wrong but just to make sure, you do have a disc in the drive right? If you use ftpiiu everywhere the disc has to be inside the drive before you start the application.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be working. Are you trying to dump it with ft2sd or ftpiiu everywhere? Don't take this wrong but just to make sure, you do have a disc in the drive right? If you use ftpiiu everywhere the disc has to be inside the drive before you start the application.
im trying to dump it with ft2sd maybe i am doing something wrong i will recompile the firmware.img and hope that it works if not im out of ideas. EDIT= OMG this whole time i thought i had a disc in the drive its working now thanks dimok

Last edited by worm28,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But instead you're relying on ignored permission checks on IOS-side ;)
Yeah, but if you only need to access one file (ie Health and Safety's texture2D.gsh), you can temporarily work around requiring all permissions checks ignored by just doing a chmod 0x666 on the file. If a /dev node doesn't exist, it doesn't exist and it forces requirements for one particular firmware which happens to have it. I can see why it would maybe be desirable to avoid Nintendo's APIs, but at the same time if you don't want to use their libraries then why not put effort into a Linux port or something. If the code is there, I'd rather use it than reinvent the wheel a bunch for no reason.

Benoit934

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was thinking about putting WUP packages on the USB but file transfert over WIFI take too much time, so dumping FW or everything on the USB is not a good idea but now with the IOSU hack maybe we can mount iSCSI or an USB key

Benoit934

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's seem to be a bullshit only 12MiB/s, my other disk are able to write faster but the PCI BUS is 6Gb/s and USB speed depend on the electronics inside the hard drive and the motherboard but I still think that the WiiU is a bottleneck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!