ROM Hack Legal way to extract GBA Roms from Carts?

rushragerush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys!

It there a legal way to rip gba roms from the carts to my pc? I've been searching, but I can't find anything! Thanks!

--Matt

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what an illegal way would be.

Anyway you typically have three methods to dump GBA games and saves

1) A linker type device. These shipped with old GBA flash carts and can dump the games and saves. Rare as anything nowadays. I guess you could also build your own but you would need some fair electronics skills to set about it, plans if you wanted them http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm#cart reader

2) A multiboot cable or equivalent. The GBA can boot code sent to its link port, naturally you can then use the GBA to send data back. Quite slow for games but not that bad. You can build a cable and probably buy one somewhere but I am not sure where right now. Some older flash carts again have these, not all though as some attached to the cart itself. I do not think the following link does ROM dumping (it is mainly for saves) but it should be a nice jumping off point when combined with the link above. http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/SendSave/index.html

3) Use a DS/DS lite and Rudolph's GBA backup tool. http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-gba-backup-tool-021-f3228.html
It is easy to find a DS/DS lite compatible flash cart (I am not sure what a basic R4 goes for these days but I would not be surprised to see shipping and a micro SD cost more). Fast as you like, very reliable and very easy to do.

Reactions: KlariNoX and cearp

rushragerush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

It sounds like option #3 is the one for me! Is all I need a DS and the software? Or do I need a flash cart and micro sd card.

Sorry for being such a noob! This sounds like it's a lot easy than what I though!

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. You need a DS flash cart and microSD. Any real cheap cart should suffice for backing games up but if you want to have something decent for homebrew, etc. get a DSTwo.

Edit: The Action Replay DSi might be able to run the backup program too but I sold mine long ago so I can't test.

rushragerush

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Thanks for the info! I do have a Micro SD Card, but not any flash carts.

You said a DS flash cart? And that'll rip the GBA Games?

And while I don't have a DSi AR, I do have a DS one. Is that sufficient?

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what an illegal way would be.

To my understanding, isn't it legal to create one backup copy, but the process itself may be illegal as it circumvents protection/encryption? Not sure if that just applies to software dumping solutions though, or if that info is outdated.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes a DS flash cart will dump them with that program.

Only the ARDSi can run the program since it is the only cart that supports homebrew.

Yes you are allowed one backup of something you own.

Re the DeCSS: it was deemed legal because it was used for fair use purposes. Though, it is technically considered a gray area because it can be used to infringe as well.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Just been experimenting with this myself recently - is there any way to dump the GBA Action Replay's firmware?
I have tried Rudolph's GBA Backup tool but it appears to only dump the inserted GBA game and not the Action Replay's firmware...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just been experimenting with this myself recently - is there any way to dump the GBA Action Replay's firmware?
I have tried Rudolph's GBA Backup tool but it appears to only dump the inserted GBA game and not the Action Replay's firmware...

The AR by design is "invisible" to the system when it isn't in the code selection screen. The only way you could dump it is by modifying it I believe. Rumors have it that it can be found via google (for educational purposes).

So using this Action Replay I can dump the gba roms to the micro sd card? Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!!!

Yes. That is the right one. Don't forget to (DLDI) patch the .nds file with the AR tool so the backup tool can see the microSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1