Hacking Launch WBFS games from main menu

Mrdx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Hi there,

I have a wii that I hacked years ago, it's running homebrews like HBL and WiiFlow, what I want to know is if there is a way to launch my WBFS backups (located on my SD card) like individual games/channels directly from the main menu of the wii without having to start Wiiflow or another backup loader before.

Thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, and no :P

You can get channels for each of your wbfs game located on sd or usb.
You can't launch the channels without a loader (wiiflow/CFG for SD, Wiiflow/CFG/USBLoaderGX for USB).

the channel is in fact a forwarder, which launches one of your USB Loader but sends a game's titleID as argument with "autoboot" information.
The loader is then responsible for selecting the wbfs file and launching it using the setting you set for that game (language, video mode, cheats, etc.), except that it launches right at loader's start. with some loaders, you don't even see that a loader is being launched.
you can see it like this : the loader is the place where you set the game setting, the channel is the place where you launch the game.

channel -> launch a game loader -> game loader autoboot the game

here is the program you use on your computer to generate the channel that you will install on your system menu using a wad manager :
http://www.wiidewii.com/read.php?28,26965,34837
I don't know if it's the latest version.
Attention, it was known that some games could brick your system menu (banner brick), be sure you have Priiloader or Bootmii@boot2 before installing wads.
(a boy and his blob, or Mario party 9 are banner bricking. I think aboy&blob has a protection in Wiigsc and will refuse to make it a channel, I don't know about other games)

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree, that's the easiest and safest method.
using a loader will give you more settings (for example like parental control, in case you want an easy access for kids) and more features (alphabetical sort order, favorite, etc.)
the loader will also list unlimited game count (65535 max) while your system menu will only have about 40 installed game at the same time.

with proper setting, you can bypass the system menu completely, having the loader acting as if it was the official console's menu.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon