THE *Original* 1 Man Army
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I've been using windows movie maker to edit videos for some time, but all of a sudden it has been using a ridiculous amount of memory. In my task manager it says it's using 1.5 GB of RAM. This wouldn't be bothering me if it didn't slow down my computer a lot. This has only come up in my current project and the rest of my edits don't lag my laptop this severely. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology but this situation isn't my forte.

I use a Toshiba Satellite A505 laptop. Could this also be a result of something else plaguing my system? I sometimes get a message saying "Error sending end of post message to ME" when I boot my lappy, but it doesn't happen often.

Like I said, this issue is recent and I painstakingly make sure my computer doesn't have viruses. (I ran a complete scan the other day and nothing was found).

Thanks for any and all suggestions and feedback

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Video editing needs a lot of RAM. 1.5GB for a video editor is nothing out of the ordinary, especially if you're going to be using HD clips. If you double the resolution of video, you quadruple the amount of data within it. If you don't have much system RAM, stick to editing SD (not HD) video files. Perhaps convert the video files down to an SD resolution before editing them? Assuming that's the issue.

A505's not enough of the model number to know the exact specs. If you look on the underside, it should list the full model number (A505-something).

10_0ARMY

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Video editing needs a lot of RAM. 1.5GB for a video editor is nothing out of the ordinary, especially if you're going to be using HD clips. If you double the resolution of video, you quadruple the amount of data within it. If you don't have much system RAM, stick to editing SD (not HD) video files. Perhaps convert the video files down to an SD resolution before editing them? Assuming that's the issue.

A505's not enough of the model number to know the exact specs. If you look on the underside, it should list the full model number (A505-something).

It's an A505-S6005. I have 4GB RAM standard. I can't recall if this is in fact the first time I've edited HD clips together. This may be the case and this may be my issue. Luckily, I am almost done editing. Thanks for the info as well.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
S'cool.

Check in the task manager to see if other projects use around that much RAM too. If so then it might just be the way some of your input clips are formatted. WMM, as far as I've seen, still uses directshow filters for parsing the input frame data, and something might not be agreeing with it.

10_0ARMY

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
S'cool.

Check in the task manager to see if other projects use around that much RAM too. If so then it might just be the way some of your input clips are formatted. WMM, as far as I've seen, still uses directshow filters for parsing the input frame data, and something might not be agreeing with it.

I doubt it is something disagreeing with it cuz the only other thing open was my web browser and it uses hardly any memory. Plus I closed all applications besides it. Maybe something in my startup list is disagreeing though. I'll have to take a look and see. However, it seems to have been that project as a whole, which is weird since I have used WMM to edit bigger videos, albeit there was a ton of different clips in this project lol. Who knows, maybe the latest Microsoft updates did something funky to WMM. Thanks for the help though :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh