Gaming Laptop don`t burn cd`s any option?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
coolness said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Burn it on a DVD?
Click Shift and Ctrl to fix your apostrophes.

Yes i only want to burn a movie file on my Pleomax DVD
but my laptop don`t detect my CD`s
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400
Please, even if you post in dutch, but make a proper post
tongue.gif
. It could be it's a combo laser drive and the CD laser died? What exactly are you trying to do and what works / doesn't work. Is it all CDs, just the one (copied), DVDs, etc.. Also anything weird you did in software? Does the problem also occur when running for example ubuntu (live cd) with k3b

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
First, I'll mention that laptop DVD writers are notoriously bad at writing. Worse than half the normal DVD writers in the market. There are many that work just fine for the first few weeks, then randomly die. Others that just never work with certain DVD media. In addition, there are very few that can use book-typing/bitsetting properly.

So the questions we should be asking are as follows:
- How long/how often/how have you been using the DVD drive?
- What exactly is the DVD drive model?
- What firmware is it running on?
- Does it not recognise any CDs/DVDs, or just blank ones?
- Does Device Manager show any problems with the device?
- Are the Optical Drive drivers up to date?
- Is the lense clean?
- What program are you using to burn with? And is it up to date?

It would also help to know if you're using the latest BIOS/chipset drivers, but don't worry if you don't know how to check that. Lenovo doesn't officially support the T400 anymore anyway.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Info provided in a PM:
He has movie XY on his PC (whatever format, doesn't matter). He wants to burn that movie onto a (I assume) data DVD from Pleomax (+/- not mentioned nor mediacode).
When that DVD is inserted the DVD is detected by windows (a disk is shown on the CD drive) however when double clicked (opening the dvd drive) the question pops up to insert a CD. He also downloaded imageburn which doesn't detect the DVD.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
This sounds vaguely like an older version of Windows that doesn't have DVD burning built into Windows Explorer. Disregarding that, it's strange that ImgBurn doesn't detect the DVD - a sign that the DVD writer can't read the DVD header (or w/e it's called where DVD type information is installed - something I often encounter when failing to burn 360 media).

As part of a diagnosis, I still want to know if any normal DVD/CD is detected and readable. Just insert any movie or game DVD or a music CD and tell me if it runs. This'll help find out if it's the lense at fault. That, and I want to know how the the drive has been used in the past. Not much? All the time to read? Or writing something every other week? The usage conditions will help determine the chances that the lense is just worn down.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
First, I'll mention that laptop DVD writers are notoriously bad at writing. Worse than half the normal DVD writers in the market. There are many that work just fine for the first few weeks, then randomly die. Others that just never work with certain DVD media. In addition, there are very few that can use book-typing/bitsetting properly.

So the questions we should be asking are as follows:
- How long/how often/how have you been using the DVD drive?
- What exactly is the DVD drive model?
- What firmware is it running on?
- Does it not recognise any CDs/DVDs, or just blank ones?
- Does Device Manager show any problems with the device?
- Are the Optical Drive drivers up to date?
- Is the lense clean?
- What program are you using to burn with? And is it up to date?

It would also help to know if you're using the latest BIOS/chipset drivers, but don't worry if you don't know how to check that. Lenovo doesn't officially support the T400 anymore anyway.

1.not so long it`s the second time that i`m using it.
2.DVD rom that`s the only thing
3.Service pack 2
4.only blank ones
5.No
6.Yes I have update my Laptop one week back
7.Yes
8.I`m using ImageBurn and Yes the latest version
My processor: Intel Core?2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz 2.27 GHz
System type 32 bit

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Alright, so it recognises normal media, but not blank media. That's typically either a media problem, a laser problem or a firmware problem, usually the former. Solutions in order: try different brand media such as Verbatim and see if it gives better results. If it's the laser at fault, you could try cleaning it with special fluids or claiming warranty if it's still intact, but I don't imagine they'll accept it. Otherwise, you could try decreasing the resistance of the laser to make it more sensitive, however this is an advanced technique so I wouldn't advise it unless you have significant confidence in using a multimeter. If it's the firmware, you simply need to find an update. Updates tend to improve read/write methods and compatability with various types of blank media, although not every drive has updates available (like the one I'm currently using).

You've not provided the DVD drive model or firmware version though. Just to give an example, this laptop I'm using has a "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H KX04 (
ohnoes.png
) (ATAPI)" drive. Optiarc is the manufacturer (It's actually Sony NEC but Optiarc is more commonly put), DVD-RW is the type, AD-7585H is the model, and KX04 is the firmware version. All of this information is provided when opening ImgBurn. This particular drive (when searching it online) has versions A01(Dell only) and KX03, but not KX04 strangely enough.

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
Alright, so it recognises normal media, but not blank media. That's typically either a media problem, a laser problem or a firmware problem, usually the former. Solutions in order: try different brand media such as Verbatim and see if it gives better results. If it's the laser at fault, you could try cleaning it with special fluids or claiming warranty if it's still intact, but I don't imagine they'll accept it. Otherwise, you could try decreasing the resistance of the laser to make it more sensitive, however this is an advanced technique so I wouldn't advise it unless you have significant confidence in using a multimeter. If it's the firmware, you simply need to find an update. Updates tend to improve read/write methods and compatability with various types of blank media, although not every drive has updates available (like the one I'm currently using).

You've not provided the DVD drive model or firmware version though. Just to give an example, this laptop I'm using has a "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H KX04 (
ohnoes.png
) (ATAPI)" drive. Optiarc is the manufacturer (It's actually Sony NEC but Optiarc is more commonly put), DVD-RW is the type, AD-7585H is the model, and KX04 is the firmware version. All of this information is provided when opening ImgBurn. This particular drive (when searching it online) has versions A01(Dell only) and KX03, but not KX04 strangely enough.

ok now i have some options
1.Buy some Verbatim CD/DVD
2.update every update and see

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: its the emote but ridiculously small