• Replies 73

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the game doesn't have a story, it's really not worth playing unless it's a puzzle or simulation game.
What a daft thing to say. You're essentially counting out pretty much every platformer (which don't have much stories beyond save the princess, etc.), rhythm games, the vast majority of Nintendo games and more.

Hence why so many games are shallow and uninteresting these days. If it doesn't have a story, what's the point in making an action game of any sort?

Chess doesn't have a story, what's the point of boxing millions of chess boards a year?

In the end, regardless of personal preference, people play games because they want to _play_ them. Story isn't playing. There's maybe 5 NES games with anything even remotely resembling a story: we all played the crap out of every one of them in the 80's. And we all have stories of "the time we discovered whatever" or "the secret (but bullcrap) way to do this thing!" or "this fun time I had with my buddies while playing."

That's what makes games fun. Professional sports (the ultimate game, perhaps) has a total lack of "story" as opposed to an incredible amount of natural drama that occurs when they all play a game with absolutely zero inherent story. The story is the story the players make as they strive to achieve victory against each other.

That's what games are about. Not canned dialogue-heavy "story" that you either click A through hoping it ends soon or stare at going "oooooooooh shiny!" until the next numbered sequel comes out. That's why there are so many shallow/uninteresting games these days. It's because they give you the same story that was boring 100 games ago with new characters, hype you up into believing it will be new, and then taking your 60 bucks.

Minecraft: zero story, 6 million players, immense popularity and acclaim. Tetris: zero story, millions of players, beloved game.

Just imagine Tetris having a cutscene explaining to you that you have to put the blocks into position to prevent an evil madman from using a mechanical T-Rex from launching nuclear missiles. Pretty shallow and basically uninteresting, right?

Yeah, story in games is dangerous and rarely used well.

The Princess is in another castle: all the story SMB ever needed, because you made the rest up on your own and with your friends.

Interactive movies aren't games.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree - I don't think I have ever played a game where I thought the story was any good at all. It's simply not a storytelling medium, unless you do something completely different - for example dear Esther, but then it's arguable that isn't a game.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd rather play a game that has a story and depth to it like an RPG then another lol shooter like Call of Duty which attempts to have a story but still sucks more balls then a hooker in the VIP room at a strip club.

Developers need to stop making shallow games with no depth to their stories. Sandbox and puzzle games don't need to have a story, adventure and action games that have actual characters should have a story. Enough of running around collecting shiny objects in order to complete a game with almost zero story background or development leading up to the end boss.

Reactions: 1 person

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I purchase games for the gameplay (the enjoyment i think i will get out of playing the game)

I've bought hundreds of games and i have NEVER purchased a game for the story.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I purchase games for the gameplay (the enjoyment i think i will get out of playing the game)

Hm, MGS is one of the few (or only) series where I have purchased the game for the story primarily although I was still interested in the gameplay.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This could just be me, but I interpreted his opinion as a statement on how games shouldn't try to forcibly tell a story but rather allow players to experience a story themselves.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree that this is true for all games in existence, but for some games I could totally agree with such an opinion.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP

Hm, MGS is one of the few (or only) series where I have purchased the game for the story primarily although I was still interested in the gameplay.

I can understand that if you had an interest in the series.

I purchased the 1st game and MGS4 for the gameplay, the story wasn't a factor.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the arguments about story vs. no story, it all depends on the genre. RPGs are almost entirely based around a storyline, whereas most racing and music/rhythm games do not.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
A game can have no story, yet be exceedingly enjoyable from its gameplay. Can a game be enjoyable and still be considered a game if it had a story without gameplay?
No, considering the interactive parts are what makes it a "game". If it's just cut-scenes, then it's not so much a game as it is a movie.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A game can have no story, yet be exceedingly enjoyable from its gameplay. Can a game be enjoyable and still be considered a game if it had a story without gameplay?
No, considering the interactive parts are what makes it a "game". If it's just cut-scenes, then it's not so much a game as it is a movie.

In all honesty there's quite a few games with absolute shit or unremarkable gameplay but have story as a saving grace.

The first Mass Effect kinda plays like crap but has an excellent story. Most point-and-click adventure games are praised for story and the puzzles and such aren't even considered brilliant.

EDIT: But I get the point. A game with zero gameplay and no story is just a movie.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And in constrast, the only games I DON'T buy for the story are things like Pokemon, or puzzle games. Or MMOs. Things I already assume I'll play with friends.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Some people play a game over and over again because the story is good and the gameplay is good. Some people play games repeatedly because the gameplay is great, but if a game has only decent gameplay and a crap story, what's the point in playing it over and over again? I wonder how people can play games like Halo so much and play the story mode over and over, it's got a shit story for a franchise and the gameplay is nothing exceptional, or Metal Gear games which have an excessive amount of story and cut scenes but the gameplay is horribly short. You can beat Metal Gear Solid 2 in something like 5 or 6 hours if you skip all the cut scenes, but if you watch them all the game is more like 20 hours. Those sorts of things aren't cool.

I like games with a great story and good quality game play, but what's the point in even having a story if your game is all about the gameplay but has a weak ass story, like many FPS games. I guess it doesn't give the game any context or point if there is no story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong