Gaming Kirby's Dream Collection: 'native resolution' mode?

Kizul Emeraldfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been thinking of getting Kirby's Dream Collection — because it's a really cheap way to get a lot of the old (and really awesome) Kirby games — but I'm still undecided because of one big thing: I don't know if it's possible to run the games in it in their native resolution of 240p.

With the Virtual Console titles that you can buy from the Wii Shop Channel, if you have a Nunchuck attachment, you can hold Z+A+2* to make the VC game run in its native 240p resolution mode instead of 480i. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this with the games in Kirby's Dream Collection?

*Official instructions here. This sadly doesn't work on the Wii U, but as I have both that and a regular Wii, that complication doesn't matter too much to me. :)

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Officially it's not possible, and for some reason Kirby's Adventure is horizontally scaled without filtering so it has scrolling artifacts. I know for a fact you can patch the dol so it scales correctly but I never tried forcing 240p, should work though.

If you want easy 240p you should go for the VC versions, but you lose wiimote support, the small borders and widescreen correction(geez Nintendo).

Personally I like having wiimote controls available, so I would just take the chance with patching 240p into the collection if I needed it. I don't like that KA and Super Star are really dark but the official VC versions are as well.

There's always the homebrew emus but they're just not as nice as collection discs. Though you could replace the emu dols with homebrew ones, but again, not as nice.

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
that file of the n64 game in this game collection, will work if put another n64 game file? like example mario 64 ?

Kizul Emeraldfire

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Officially it's not possible, and for some reason Kirby's Adventure is horizontally scaled without filtering so it has scrolling artifacts. I know for a fact you can patch the dol so it scales correctly but I never tried forcing 240p, should work though.
Hm. That's a bit disappointing, but good to know. :)

If you want easy 240p you should go for the VC versions, but you lose wiimote support, the small borders and widescreen correction(geez Nintendo).
I don't quite know what you mean by "you lose wiimote support", but if that means I wouldn't be able to play the game using a Wii Remote itself as a controller, that's not a big deal for me. I have some Raphnet Tech 4-in-1 adapters that let me use any pre-Wii controller as a Classic Controller, so I can use whatever controller the game used on the system it was originally released for. :P

(Well — minus the Game Boy ones, I suppose, but that hardly matters. I own physical copies of those Kirby games already, and a Super Game Boy and SGB2. :D)

Widescreen correction isn't really necessary for me (at least, currently), since I don't have an HDTV — only a large, 4:3-ratio CRT television.

Personally I like having wiimote controls available, so I would just take the chance with patching 240p into the collection if I needed it. I don't like that KA and Super Star are really dark but the official VC versions are as well.
I'll have to look around (and probably ask on this forum) to see how one would go about patching 240p support into KDC; all I know is that games that originally ran at 240p resolution running in 480i resolution look… not quite right to me, for some reason.

I'm also a little leery of getting the official Wii Virtual Console version of Kirby's Adventure, because I've got EarthBound Beginnings on the Virtual Console for the Wii U, and while the darkness isn't much of an issue for me… the improper overscan cropping it has is an annoyance to me. (Instead of cropping the top 8 and bottom 8 pixels, it crops the top 9 pixels off… and nothing from the bottom. Good job, Nintendo.)

I don't know if the official NES VC games for the Wii (or other Wii U NES VC games) have that cropping issue — I'm guessing they do, though —, or if it's merely a problem with EarthBound Beginnings, but it still annoys me. >:| (Seriously, Nintendo! Even NESticle got the cropping correct! And it was NESticle!)

I didn't know Kirby Super Star would be really dark, too, though. That seems kind of strange; I can understand why the NES VC games would be dark, but the Super NES had a hard-coded digital palette (rather than the analog wonkiness that the NES had), or so I'd thought. o.O

Last edited by Kizul Emeraldfire,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton