Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickass Torrents shut down by US government

kickasstorrents_500x500-300x300.png

Copyright holders rejoice! The largest torrent site on earth has been taken down by the US government a few days back. After posing as an advertiser they managed to trace the money back to a Ukrainian guy, Artem Vaulin. It's quite the story really, check out the full article here.

What do you think is going to happen now? Is this a hard blow to piracy or are most people just going to use another site? Will there always be another site to take the lead? Discuss.

Hurtz007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
meh... unaffected... cause i dont use torrents... i just backup my games and keep them around for in case the cops show up (which why would they!?) :ha:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really follow this stuff, but I thought TPB was the largest one. I know it was taken down for awhile, but didn't it get revived?
Yes, it got revived, but while it was down, KAT took its place as the best

D

Deleted User

OK, so can I point something out?
HE never uploaded anything, he was allowing others to share files. He complied with DMCA takedowns, and he never laundered money (conspiracy). What are they charging him with then? He has nothing that can be cracked down as "HE DID THIS"

Reactions: Deleted User

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, so can I point something out?
HE never uploaded anything, he was allowing others to share files. He complied with DMCA takedowns, and he never laundered money (conspiracy). What are they charging him with then? He has nothing that can be cracked down as "HE DID THIS"
He actually posted publicity to produce money, and he is the owner of a piracy website, those are his charges

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using private trackers for years so this will have zero effect on me.

I think private trackers will be around for a while. Some communities just can't be beaten in terms of content.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question about private tracker, does all private trackers are like T411?
I mean, T411 use a ratio system. You can't download anymore if your ratio is under 1.00
When you subscribe, you have 10gb of upload on your account, and then, you need to keep a good ratio upload/download.
For example, I uploaded 8045GB and downloaded 1937GB which make a ratio of 4.15
Is it the same with all private tracker, I don't know any other private tracker other than T411

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about private tracker, does all private trackers are like T411?
I mean, T411 use a ratio system. You can't download anymore if your ratio is under 1.00
When you subscribe, you have 10gb of upload on your account, and then, you need to keep a good ratio upload/download.
For example, I uploaded 8045GB and downloaded 1937GB which make a ratio of 4.15
Is it the same with all private tracker, I don't know any other private tracker other than T411
Depends on the tracker. Most use ratio systems but some have a time system where you only have to seed a specific amount of time.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Two notes: (for those wondering in response to two issues)
1) For the claim that there isn't enough evidence alleged in the complaint. At the complaint stage they only need to allege the facts establishing a prima facie case--i.e.--you don't have to lay out all of your evidence then. Also of note is that he has been charged, among other things, of conspiracy to commit crimes--which means they don't have to prove he committed those crimes, only that he conspired to. (Think of it like being charged with an "attempted" crime).

2) Even if you do not upload any data, it is illegal to facilitate violations of the copyright code. Complying with DMCA gives you safe harbor if it appears as though you actually are attempting to stop copyrighted material from being distributed through your site. If however, it can be shown that you knew (or should have known due to the large amount of material) that your site was being used to facilitate copyrighted material then you have violated the law. Of course, he can (and probably will) present the defense that he complied with DMCA, etc.

Just some clarification for those wondering.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a part of a private tracker which uses a harsh ratio system, "give back what you take" system. You download 18gb, you upload at least 18gb. This tracker has open registration.

I am also part of another private tracker site which just says to upload for 72 hours. There is a ratio, but they don't mind it much. They have events for double upload rates, free leech, etc. Invite-only tracker.

They're all different. Overall, if you just seed the torrents you download from you should be cool with anyone. They just want people to seed.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, well I didn't know that, but know I do :P Thanks :D
Betternet is an example of a free VPN that is compatible with BitTorrent. I'll use it if I can't find something on Mega and I think a public torrent has a high risk of being tracked by copyright trolls who send out copyright letters to internet service providers (e.g. public HBO and popular movie torrents). However, between Mega downloads and Kodi streaming, I haven't used a VPN in a long time.

D

Deleted User

KAT wasn't my go to (Pirate Bay was) but it was still a awesome site to go to. Damn

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Betternet is an example of a free VPN that is compatible with BitTorrent. I'll use it if I can't find something on Mega and I think a public torrent has a high risk of being tracked by copyright trolls who send out copyright letters to internet service providers (e.g. public HBO and popular movie torrents). However, between Mega downloads and Kodi streaming, I haven't used a VPN in a long time.

I still am quite wary around torrents, I haven't used on in what, over a year or so? Self-inflicted paranoia and unsubstantiated fears about getting malware and other viruses lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8 +1