Hacking Just got a fresh N3DS on 9.9.0. Any recommended advice?

FTRBND

Waifu
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
*Sigh*. Another newbie being told to use a9lh.

You absolutely do not need a9lh in order to get the benefit of custom firmware and to play pirated games, use homebrew, or almost anything else. Menuhax+9.2+CFW is fine for that, and installing a9lh is dangerous.
Even a dead brained mouse who can read and ask questions can easily install a9lh. It's not hard, it's just long, and as long as you ask others, your chances of bricking are almost null(0.1%). Installing a9lh isn't dangerous at all. A9lh has matured and most if not all bricks are caused by user errors.

Reactions: pbanj

b0rd2dEAth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright so now I kind of ran into an issue now on step 4 when trying to "29. Launch the Health and Safety Application (which is now FBI) on RedNAND" where the device stays on the loading screen showing the nintendo 3ds banner that comes up when launching applications and never enters fbi

FTRBND

Waifu
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
alright so now I kind of ran into an issue now on step 4 when trying to "29. Launch the Health and Safety Application (which is now FBI) on RedNAND" where the device stays on the loading screen showing the nintendo 3ds banner that comes up when launching applications and never enters fbi
Have you injected it correctly? Also are you sure you're in rednand when launching it? the 3d banner (on the top screen while still on the home menu) should look like the fbi logo so try to restart.

b0rd2dEAth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you injected it correctly? Also are you sure you're in rednand when launching it? the 3d banner (on the top screen while still on the home menu) should look like the fbi logo so try to restart.

I'm pretty sure it's injected correctly. I'm also sure that I'm running it on rednand when launching it. The logo looks correct and even has the sound, but then it just gets stuck on loading..

Edit: not sure what's wrong at the moment, gonna sleep and figure it out later today. Currently thinking about reinstalling rednand to backup the sh.app file again in case there's something wrong with it. Also gonna check the software again

Last edited by b0rd2dEAth,

FTRBND

Waifu
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I'm pretty sure it's injected correctly. I'm also sure that I'm running it on rednand when launching it. The logo looks correct and even has the sound, but then it just gets stuck on loading..

Edit: not sure what's wrong at the moment, gonna sleep and figure it out later today. Currently thinking about reinstalling rednand to backup the sh.app file again in case there's something wrong with it. Also gonna check the software again
You shouls try injecting another FBI version. Also you could just find the hs.app online and inject it back, no need to reinstall rednand

b0rd2dEAth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouls try injecting another FBI version. Also you could just find the hs.app online and inject it back, no need to reinstall rednand

I just tried injecting a different version of FBI with similar results.. Not sure where to find hs.app online, kinda unsure whats going wrong at this point.

Edit: just reinjected my original hs.app which seems to be working properly. i don't think that hs.app is the issue.. hmm... Let me try injecting this on windows or something too.

IMG_4793-1.jpg
IMG_4792-1.jpg
IMG_4794.jpg

the it loops on this never ending loading screen here....
IMG_4795-1.jpg

edit: Found the issue! Version 2.0 and 2.0.1 don't work properly yet.. I had to use 1.4.17

Ann0ying

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by Ann0ying,

b0rd2dEAth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright got it all finished up now. One extra step I had to do was to inject my hs.app from the previous step into the custom SysNAND because fbi wasn't working. I then re-dumped the SysNAND-A9LHAX.bin. Now I'm tryna figure out all the cool things I can do haha.

Edit: One last question, system transferring... Would it be safe to transfer my system from my old 3ds XL to my new 3ds? I'm just not sure if it will remove the custom firmware or not which would totally suck..

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Alright got it all finished up now. One extra step I had to do was to inject my hs.app from the previous step into the custom SysNAND because fbi wasn't working. I then re-dumped the SysNAND-A9LHAX.bin. Now I'm tryna figure out all the cool things I can do haha.

Edit: One last question, system transferring... Would it be safe to transfer my system from my old 3ds XL to my new 3ds? I'm just not sure if it will remove the custom firmware or not which would totally suck..
>System Transfers
@pbanj can probably help you.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why do people ask for 'help' when there are thousands of other posts that could answer his real question of "how do i hack the crap our of this"

Kous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread couldn't have been made at a better time. I have a N3DSXL (9.9) that I want to downgrade to 9.2 and use FBI to install .cia files. I was wondering if I should use A9LH, if I only want to do those things. I don't wanna go through more trouble than its worth (plus I don't know any of the benefits of A9LH)

Ann0ying

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread couldn't have been made at a better time. I have a N3DSXL (9.9) that I want to downgrade to 9.2 and use FBI to install .cia files. I was wondering if I should use A9LH, if I only want to do those things. I don't wanna go through more trouble than its worth (plus I don't know any of the benefits of A9LH)
Instant cfw boot mb? 100% boot rate?
You're underestimating how annoying is hbl.

Kous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright I ran into a couple issues on step 3.
  1. Open CakesFW (This can sometimes take a few tries)
  2. Go to "Select Patches"
  3. Activate the "Enable EmuNAND" and "Disable Signature Checks" patches, then press Start to continue
  4. Select "Boot CFW" to enter RedNAND (you must launch CakesFW from the Homebrew Launcher every time you want to boot RedNAND)
Im getting boot error when I click Boot CFW. anyone know what might be causing this issue?

Edit: Alright, resolved the issue. Accidentally downloaded an older version of CakesFW which had bullet points that also had to also be checked off or else it would return a boot error. Once they were checked off the application then told me it was outdated.

I'm having the same problem as you (also following the same guide on a N3DSxl). When I hit Boot CFW, My DS just stays black and I have to shut it off. Can you elaborate more on what you did to fix it, or someone else could help, that would be great.

BossRoss93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets agree to disagree. Faster boot times, 100 percent boot rate, freeing up space on your SD card, and the ability to fix certain types of hard bricks? Not exactly what I'd write off as a small benefit, although to be clear, yes this does take a bit of extra time to set up.

So, That step involves the downgrading to the 2.1 Firmware, right? I have a o3ds with rxtools loading at boot, and just got the pokemon 20th anniversary edition n3ds in which I want to set up the same thing on. So you think its definitely worth it to go this route? Or would I still have most emunand functionality (gba game loading, cia installation, etc) by only going to Step 3?

Basically, I am SUPER worried about a brick cause this system never had 9.2 on it, let alone 2.1. So if I can get a boot-time loading of rxtools or whatever would that suffice? Or is the a9lh the ONLY way to boot into CFW with a n3ds?

Sorry for flooding you in particular with question lol

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, That step involves the downgrading to the 2.1 Firmware, right? I have a o3ds with rxtools loading at boot, and just got the pokemon 20th anniversary edition n3ds in which I want to set up the same thing on. So you think its definitely worth it to go this route? Or would I still have most emunand functionality (gba game loading, cia installation, etc) by only going to Step 3?

Basically, I am SUPER worried about a brick cause this system never had 9.2 on it, let alone 2.1. So if I can get a boot-time loading of rxtools or whatever would that suffice? Or is the a9lh the ONLY way to boot into CFW with a n3ds?

Sorry for flooding you in particular with question lol

N3ds has a higher chance of a downgrade to 9.2 failing (at least from my experience). That being said, the way it fails now is a heck of a lot easier to recover from than what older tools sometimes left you with. Realistically, the odds of you hardbricking, if you follow the guide exactly are slim to none.

Bear in mind, however, that running through the process completely from start to end will take no less than 3 hours, potentially up to 5, if everything goes smoothly. If you hit a road bump (I.e. you miss a step or downgrading emunand doesn't take the first time around), this can pretty easily be increased. As for gba, I'm not certain where that stands on current cfw without having linked emunand/rednand, although I know for sure it works in a9lh

Reactions: astronautlevel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??