Hardware Just a warning to anyone thinking of buying a SD Card from fleabay

roden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a heads up guys, i ordered a Samsung evo plus 128gb on flebay, and as soon as it arrived it looked dodgy, really bad printing on the card that i could scrape of with my nail.

Started wring to the card and was getting 2.5mbs a second, alarm bells straight away.

So i ran a test with htestw1.4 and it failed after 8gb, so was infact a slow ass 8gb card looking as a 128gb.

Weird thing was it was in a proper samsung blister pack and everything, looked spot on until i closely examined it.

Luckily i have been given a full refund instantly. So just be carefull guys, buy from a shop or good place only.

Luckily have a spare proper samsung 64gb.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if you buy from a physical store, there's always a slim chance of it being a fake. Never hurts to test before using a new card. I just bought two new 32GB Samsung cards from a well-known retailer in my area and I'm testing the cards as we speak. There are too many fakes nowadays to take any risks with it.

roden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I should of known by the price £18.99 delivered lol, still live and learn, i was lucky.

Wrathcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought an Samsung evo plus 128gb aswell, but it was from mymemory so all should be good, but with so many hard to spot fake sd cards around, it makes me nervous even buying from reputable places now.

roden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah its an epidemic, i was just looking on flebay and the fakes are pretty easy to spot now, its something i would not ever purchase on there again to be fair. Not worth the hassle.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy micro SD cards from Newegg stick to the ones that say (Sold by Newegg) got my Patriot LX Series 256GB for $80 from them. Not a well known brand, but it works just fine,got about 11 games on it just waiting on my SX Pro

roden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair i might just stick with my 64gb for now, have 7 games on there and 25gb free still

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind buying on ebay if its fake report and most likely u will get to have the fake card and the money back :).
Buy micro SD cards from Newegg stick to the ones that say (Sold by Newegg) got my Patriot LX Series 256GB for $80 from them. Not a well known brand, but it works just fine,got about 11 games on it just waiting on my SX Pro
SD maybe not, but their USB Pen drives I think are very known, they made super fast ones in the past, no idea about nowadays though...

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind buying on ebay if its fake report and most likely u will get to have the fake card and the money back :).

SD maybe not, but their USB Pen drives I think are very known, they made super fast ones in the past, no idea about nowadays though...
Yeah it says transfer speed is up to 90MB, but I get about 110MB. Ebay will always refund on things like this, but their process unnecessary long b/c the scammer is treated like a regular seller
in which you have to open case and wait for a response within a week. Then an additional week for Ebay to investigate. I was scammed twice before now I only buy them directly from Newegg

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Update

roden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
On this note, has anyone compared speeds between the original gamecard and SD cards, obvious;y the faster the card you buy the better, but is the port limited in anyway, whats the suggested?

MENTALDOMINANCE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ordered many cards from Ebay. At least 40% of them are fake.
So... Simply have H2TESTW handy and ALWAYS test a card immediately as soon as you get it!
If the assholes selling this crap try to lie their way out of it, just file a complaint.
Ebay has taken care of a refund every time I've been got by a scammer.

I don't understand how this crap, with all the negative publicity it has, is still being sold at a scale
worth it for scammers to still be doing it but I guess there are stupid idiots who don't know anything
and buy 128GB cards, stick in their phone and only use it to store phone crap & stuff that will never
go over a few gigs. If you keep within the range the card actually is, often they will kinda work.
Lots of people are just stupid and they literately waste money on huge cards, even though they
never use the extra space. It is because of these people that the scammers still exist I believe.

I think many scammers actually take into consideration that they will be refunding a large percentage
of the cards they sell but they've worked it out so that it's worth it since they make free cash off of
the idiots who keep the fake cards. They're like "Okay. 60% of the people are gonna return this but
who cares? 40% will give me free money!" - This is why many scammers just refund instantly, no
questions asked. They expect a percentage of clients to get refunds! Plus, they don't want any red
flags raised. They want to just take care of all the refunds as fast and without fanfare as possible.
It's all a part of their business model. They're making profit from the idiots who don't refund.
It's sad but it's probably true.

P.S. - To the people saying they're afraid to buy cards - don't be! H2TESTW is an excellent utility.
All you need to do is simply let it run overnight and then you know for sure if the card is fake.
Don't use visuals to attempt to tell whether a card is legit or not, simply use the software.
There is no reason to be afraid.

Last edited by MENTALDOMINANCE,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On this note, has anyone compared speeds between the original gamecard and SD cards, obvious;y the faster the card you buy the better, but is the port limited in anyway, whats the suggested?
technically I think Switch M-SD port goes upto 100, however I believe in the real world is actually topping at 90 judging by a video of a sandisk extreme vs ultra, both non A1, the Sandisk Ultra actually loaded all games like a second faster when SanDisk Extreme is actually a faster card, but it seems Switch just can't simply take advantage of it and actually seem to make it very slightly worse (not that will make any difference waiting like 1 second, but Extreme is a lot more expensive, so don't bother buying them ;) ).
Yeah it says transfer speed is up to 90MB, but I get about 110MB. Ebay will always refund on things like this, but their process unnecessary long b/c the scammer is treated like a regular seller
in which you have to open case and wait for a response within a week. Then an additional week for Ebay to investigate. I was scammed twice before now I only buy them directly from Newegg
I never had much of a hassle as for me all bad things that happened the seller it self responded fast and refunded by them self right away, I only had to escalade to paypal once on DealExtreme site if I'm not mistaken even though I had ordered before from them, but out of a sudden they never talked, never sent items and even after sending to paypal they also didnt answer to paypal which is odd as they are very well known and paypal gave me the money back from their own money, but they said they would penalize the site...

On ebay I was only scammed like once, but was just a few cents so mehh, didnt even bothered, other times I got the item and the money back even though it was the wrong item (still a freebie);).

And one time I had a seller keep spamming me with crap if I wanted a refund LOL when I told him I like the product, gave 5stars and just said on the comments I thought it was slightly bigger, but its working fine and he kept PM if I wanted a refund or parcial refund when I said I liked the product, I was using it and didnt wanted a refund on first reply, but he kept excusing and saying if I wanted refund, jeez there is some weird sellers:wtf:.

Last edited by guily6669,

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once bought a 32gb usb from Amazon from their lightning deals and it stopped working after a few months. It was probably a fake but it can happen to any of us.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ordered many cards from Ebay. At least 40% of them are fake.
So... Simply have H2TESTW handy and ALWAYS test a card immediately as soon as you get it!
If the assholes selling this crap try to lie their way out of it, just file a complaint.
Ebay has taken care of a refund every time I've been got by a scammer.

I don't understand how this crap, with all the negative publicity it has, is still being sold at a scale
worth it for scammers to still be doing it but I guess there are stupid idiots who don't know anything
and buy 128GB cards, stick in their phone and only use it to store phone crap & stuff that will never
go over a few gigs. If you keep within the range the card actually is, often they will kinda work.
Lots of people are just stupid and they literately waste money on huge cards, even though they
never use the extra space. It is because of these people that the scammers still exist I believe.

I think many scammers actually take into consideration that they will be refunding a large percentage
of the cards they sell but they've worked it out so that it's worth it since they make free cash off of
the idiots who keep the fake cards. They're like "Okay. 60% of the people are gonna return this but
who cares? 40% will give me free money!" - This is why many scammers just refund instantly, no
questions asked. They expect a percentage of clients to get refunds! They're making profit from the
idiots who don't refund. It's sad but it's probably true.

P.S. - To the people saying they're afraid to buy cards - don't be! H2TESTW is an excellent utility.
All you need to do is simply let it run overnight and then you know for sure if the card is fake.
Don't use visuals to attempt to tell whether a card is legit or not, simply use the software.
There is no reason to be afraid.
No the problem is ppl are looking for cheaper prices with higher capacity this is why we have scammers b/c they are exploiting our need
We consumers need to research on the pricing of these cards that match their capacity to avoid fear and refunds. Always stick to well known sites and stores buying these things

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
One other thing to bear in mind is to ignore the feedback scores on ebay. Some of these scammers have sold 20,000+ and have feedback scores of 98% or so. Main reason for this is that the majority of people don't end up using the whole capacity straight away and by the time errors occur when exceeding certain amount of stored data, it is too late for them to give a feedback to the seller

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?