Hacking Japanese->USA Wii Region Changing - Questions on final steps

CubeRaider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm attempting to change my black Japanese Wii's region settings to USA. I've done many hours of research over the past few weeks to formulate a plan, but I have some uncertainties on the final steps, so I'd appreciate some expert input before I attempt them.

Steps Taken:
1) I started with a new black Japanese Wii (SM 4.0j, SN LJF50...), fresh out of the box. I established an Internet connection, but performed no updates (that I know of).
2) I used bannerbomb to run HackMii Installer v0.3. I installed all 3 items: BootMii as IOS (could not install as boot2), HBC, and DVDx.
3) I used BootMii to create a NAND backup.
4) I used Trucha Bug Restorer to get the Trucha Bug in IOS36 (downgraded IOS15, patched IOS36, restored IOS15). I enabled all 3 items: Trucha, ES_Identity, and NAND Permissions.
5) I installed Preloader to give myself some brick protection.
6) I installed cIOS rev14.

Steps Planned:
7) I will use Firmware Downgrader to install System Menu 4.0u. As a side effect, this will overwrite Preloader. I will also change the console region to USA and the Wii Shop country code to USA.
8) I will reinstall Preloader to restore my limited brick protection.
9) I will run AnyRegion Changer to change any remaining region settings (i.e. language and game region).

I'm considering switching the order of Steps 8 & 9. It seems like it should work either way, but perhaps one way is safer. I read on a forum post that Firmware Downgrader can fail to change the console region (error -102), so if this happens, perhaps I should run AnyRegion Changer immediately after Firmware Downgrader without rebooting. I want to minimize the time during which Preloader is not installed, and I want to minimize the time during which the System Menu region does not match the console region. Any thoughts?

Are my steps logically sound? Other than the standard inherent risk of all Wii hacks, are there dangers that I may not have considered?

If I am successful, I'd like to post my step-by-step guide including explanations of the purpose behind each step. Hopefully it will both educate and instruct noobs like myself who would like to have a black USA Wii. As such, if you have any constructive critiques of my steps, please let me know. I'd hate to pass on flawed instructions!

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Unfortunately I don't have anything useful to say other than I hope you succeed and later post how you did it. I'm planning on doing something similar myself eventually.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude.. if you're on 4.0j, then just use any region changer to change your Wii region, and don't forget to change the wii shop region as well, then do an official update. It will update you to 4.1U. Hacking again afterwards is easy (cIOS will still be there so the TBR step really isn't needed)

CubeRaider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urherenow said:
dude.. if you're on 4.0j, then just use any region changer to change your Wii region, and don't forget to change the wii shop region as well, then do an official update. It will update you to 4.1U. Hacking again afterwards is easy (cIOS will still be there so the TBR step really isn't needed)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't I have to enter the System Menu to perform an official update? And since a region mismatch between the SM and the console setting causes a semi-brick, wouldn't I be unable to enter the System Menu to perform the update?

CubeRaider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link! It's good to see the steps of others' black Wii region conversions.

I noticed that you also mentioned the -102 error in Firmware Downgrader. Did you encounter this error?

My sole goal at the moment is to change my region settings, and I think some steps in your guide are unnecessary for this purpose. If any of the following steps from your guide are vital, please correct me.

G0dLiKe said:
1.) Update to 4.1J
Does it matter if the SM starts at 4.0j or 4.1j?

G0dLiKe said:
7.) Run Dop-IOS v7
I fail to see the need to patch IOS60 when cIOS is already installed.

G0dLiKe said:
8.) Run Preloader .29
Enable all needed hacks in the Systemmenu Hacks section.
Set the IOS the system menu loads to to 249 via preloader.
Are there any Preloader hacks that are "needed" for region changing?
Does it matter if the SM loads to cIOS 249?

QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Aug 24 2009, 03:19 AM) 9.) Install cIOSCORP v3.4
10.) Install Hermes cIOS 222, cIOS 223 37/ 36 for optimal compatibility
These seem necessary for region changing, and from what I've read, cIOSCORP is quite dangerous.

QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Aug 24 2009, 03:19 AM)
11.) Region Change - Wii Region Changer
What does Wii Region Changer do that AnyRegion Changer does not? It seems to me that Wii Region Changer is entirely unnecessary. However, I've seen this apparent duplication in more than one guide, so I'm probably missing something.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that you also mentioned the -102 error in Firmware Downgrader. Did you encounter this error? No, didnt happen, just in case...

Does it matter if the SM starts at 4.0j or 4.1j?I did it from 4.1J and had success so...

I fail to see the need to patch IOS60 when cIOS is already installed.Probably not needed.

Are there any Preloader hacks that are "needed" for region changing?Yes, there are "regionfree disc and regionfree channels and stuff you can set in preloader systemhacks. Recommended.

Does it matter if the SM loads to cIOS 249?No, it is also recommended by some people to set the sysmenu IOS in preloader to 249 in case you f*ck up your IOS 60...

These seem necessary for region changing, and from what I've read, cIOSCORP is quite dangerous.Hermes cIOS is only for a better compatibility using USB loaders and stuff, not needed for region change. cIOSCORP is only dangerous when you try to uninstall it not using the official cIOSCORP uninstaller. A common sense of mind is best thing to own when hacking your Wii...

What does Wii Region Changer do that AnyRegion Changer does not? It seems to me that Wii Region Changer is entirely unnecessary. However, I've seen this apparent duplication in more than one guide, so I'm probably missing something.I found that Any region changer possibly do not change things like they need to be changed and Wii Region changer can do it so this is needed.

CubeRaider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks G0dLiKe! I have a much better understanding of your guide now.

G0dLiKe said:
Yes, there are "regionfree disc and regionfree channels and stuff you can set in preloader systemhacks. Recommended.
So the hacks wouldn't help with changing the region settings, but they allow things such as region free capabilities?

G0dLiKe said:
No, it is also recommended by some people to set the sysmenu IOS in preloader to 249 in case you f*ck up your IOS 60...
Oh, I see how that could be quite useful. However, I don't think any of my steps affect IOS60, correct?

G0dLiKe said:
A common sense of mind is best thing to own when hacking your Wii...
Quite right!

QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Sep 19 2009, 08:20 AM)
I found that Any region changer possibly do not change things like they need to be changed and Wii Region changer can do it so this is needed.
Gotcha. I will add Wii Region Changer to my steps immediately following AnyRegion Changer. I suppose it can't hurt to have a second app double check the settings! Err.. I hope it can't hurt.

senkun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey CubeRaider,

Just wanted to drop in and say that I really like the way you wrote out what you have done and what you intend to do to your Wii to effect the region change. It's very clear and concise, and it's very obvious that you want to understand what each and every step accomplishes. Quite unlike most people who will blindly follow any guide they dig up (even though it may be wrong or outdated) and end up with a brick.

When I got my TWN/JP machine, I had initially wanted to do this, but held back as the information seemed spotty and out of date, and mostly had a lot of "voodoo" steps involved which didn't seem necessary. I'm just glad someone got round to asking the right questions about the process.

One thing that I can point out is that the hacks.ini that comes with Preloader .29 won't work for your JP Wii.

I hope it goes smoothly for you, and that you will write the definitive guide for JP to US region changing.

Looking forward to your successfull change of region. Cheers!

CubeRaider

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks senkun. I'm glad you appreciate my approach and I look forward to creating an effective guide.

I watched a YouTube video of someone using Firmware Downgrader; it appears that the app will reboot your Wii upon completion. This concerns me because the System Menu installation will overwrite Preloader, so if there is any problem when running Firmware Downgrader (such as error -102), then my Wii will be forced to reboot in a bricked state without Preloader, leaving me no way to access HBC.

Are these concerns valid? Any suggestions on minimizing the risks?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: