Hacking It finally happened, Gateway failed to save after hours of playtime!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Senran Kagura 2, a game that saved just fine last night. Now today after playing it for hours, I tried closing the game and the 3DS just froze forever. I turned it off then back on and the save file wasn't saved and I gotta do all that again.

Is it better/safer to just press power until the grey screen, then hit power off instead?

With this said, screw Gateway's insecurity with it's saves. all hail Rxtools, something I can be using right now if I wanted to. If anyone wants to buy my Gateway, I'm willing to part with it.

I'm gonna have to skip cutscenes, and do everything I did as quick and sloppy as possible. Shouldn't be too hard. Most of the time was taken up by cutscenes and dressing up the characters anyways. Just gotta beat chapter 2 like a speedrun.

This has never happened to me with ANY game before. So I'm shocked that this is actually possible. As far as I know, there's pretty much NO way to turn off the 3DS without it saving. Freezing (By chance) is the only way it seems. The game closes fine now, it was all just some serious bad luck for this to happen now.

Last edited by MattKimura,

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you're just really upset that it happened at a really bad time, and with good reason, too. I'd be upset if I had to re-play anything because of a failure to save. If you re-read your post in a calmer state of mind, you'll see that this is the first time you've experienced this, which speaks volumes to the reliability of your Gateway so far. I wouldn't count it out because of one incident. If anything, this incident will ensure you keep in mind the possibility of a save failure and save more often in your games to avoid such a setback. It might've also encouraged you to try out other solutions (e.g. Rxtols). Sorry it happened though, bro. It sucks :<

D

Deleted User

All take it off your hands, but, can I do the rom with each little card?

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
i had this before on my MH4U, lost over 10 hours of gameplay cause i just put the console to sleep. (so it didn't save)..
Now, everytime i play i would back up my saves and it is extremely tedious..
Good luck on your speedrun again haha. Just got to be really careful nowadays

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked GB(A) because the games (the good stuff, not the cinema shovelware) JUST WORKED. True plug and play, unless you got dirty contacts. And when you bought a real, physical cart it was (and still is) yours--no corporate, cableguy-esque, incomprehensible, bullshit "license agreement" you have to agree to otherwise you can't use the thing you bought. (An agreement is not an agreement if you have no choice and can't understand what it says!)

I hate how the 3DS has an operating system (menu/launcher) of sorts. The whole point of GB(A) for me was simplicity. You could actually spend time playing games instead of the PC gaming mess of installing, configuring, and doing what QA should have been doing before the game was released. In the fly-by-night world of the 3DS, with regular, forced "updates," I guess it isn't really possible to test everything or figure out who screwed up in-house: the buck stops nowhere, it just goes round and round. Instead of a simple, elegant game system, we've got a software mess that is more easily brickable than a PC.

For the longest time I was having random crashes with Story of Seasons. I suspected Gateway, but for all I knew it could have been something wrong with the game itself or the underlying OS 9.5, whatever that is. After finally updating emunand to 9.9, the random crashes stopped. Of course, I had to update Gateway as well, so I don't know what changed to fix the problem.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I liked GB(A) because the games (the good stuff, not the cinema shovelware) JUST WORKED. True plug and play, unless you got dirty contacts. And when you bought a real, physical cart it was (and still is) yours--no corporate, cableguy-esque, incomprehensible, bullshit "license agreement" you have to agree to otherwise you can't use the thing you bought. (An agreement is not an agreement if you have no choice and can't understand what it says!)

I hate how the 3DS has an operating system (menu/launcher) of sorts. The whole point of GB(A) for me was simplicity. You could actually spend time playing games instead of the PC gaming mess of installing, configuring, and doing what QA should have been doing before the game was released. In the fly-by-night world of the 3DS, with regular, forced "updates," I guess it isn't really possible to test everything or figure out who screwed up in-house: the buck stops nowhere, it just goes round and round. Instead of a simple, elegant game system, we've got a software mess that is more easily brickable than a PC.

For the longest time I was having random crashes with Story of Seasons. I suspected Gateway, but for all I knew it could have been something wrong with the game itself or the underlying OS 9.5, whatever that is. After finally updating emunand to 9.9, the random crashes stopped. Of course, I had to update Gateway as well, so I don't know what changed to fix the problem.

Evolution of times...
That's why just because something is old, it doesn't mean it's any less good than how it was before.
There's many stuff, consoles, games, etc, that have no comparison to current hardware/software but that are still the best in my mind.

Reactions: tony_2018

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or convert your games to card2.
Just what I had in mind! How do we convert card1 roms to card2? If it's easy enough, I'll convert all my games to card2. I just wonder how I'll even transfer each save into the card2 rom. If I have to use SaveDataFiler, I'll just have to deal with it and stick with card1.

I need to try waiting a while before closing out of a game. I tend to do it way too quickly because I know exactly where the close button is.
I'll also need to save often to be on the safe side. I'll never feel safe again. It's like witnessing murder of your own family, you'll never feel the same again.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Senran Kagura 2, a game that saved just fine last night. Now today after playing it for hours, I tried closing the game and the 3DS just froze forever. I turned it off then back on and the save file wasn't saved and I gotta do all that again.

Is it better/safer to just press power until the grey screen, then hit power off instead?

With this said, screw Gateway's insecurity with it's saves. all hail Rxtools, something I can be using right now if I wanted to. If anyone wants to buy my Gateway, I'm willing to part with it.

I'm gonna have to skip cutscenes, and do everything I did as quick and sloppy as possible. Shouldn't be too hard. Most of the time was taken up by cutscenes and dressing up the characters anyways. Just gotta beat chapter 2 like a speedrun.

This has never happened to me with ANY game before. So I'm shocked that this is actually possible. As far as I know, there's pretty much NO way to turn off the 3DS without it saving. Freezing (By chance) is the only way it seems. The game closes fine now, it was all just some serious bad luck for this to happen now.
Hasve you had this issue with any other 3ds games or is it just a problem with Senran Kagura 2?

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
Both sides have a flaw and it stems from a single source.... The SD Card!

If that gets corrupted or starts acting up, you risk losing saves. That's it! All the time and effort, lost! Oh Woe Is Me! :P

For me a bad SD card reader made me lost my Super Robot Taisen UX and Shin Megami Tensei IV games (Corrupted main partition, emuNAND partition is fine), both games require a lot of time, and realizing you've lost it makes you weep. T.T

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know you could convert card 1 games to card 2. I once lost a save a long time ago when I was playing Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. It happened again 3 days ago when playing Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3, but I only lost like 10 minutes, so I didn't really care. So is there any reason not to convert every single rom you get to card 2? This only happened to me two times, but I would rather not have it ever happen again.

I just downloaded the thing from http://jheberg.net/captcha/card-1-to-2/ is that where everyone else got it? Is there a better version? I won't have to worry about lost saves ever again if I use this, right?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both sides have a flaw and it stems from a single source.... The SD Card!

If that gets corrupted or starts acting up, you risk losing saves. That's it! All the time and effort, lost! Oh Woe Is Me! :P

For me a bad SD card reader made me lost my Super Robot Taisen UX and Shin Megami Tensei IV games (Corrupted main partition, emuNAND partition is fine), both games require a lot of time, and realizing you've lost it makes you weep. T.T
Would making a backup of all your saves work if they became corrupt. If a save became corruptr could you just delete it and replace it with a backup that you made?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: The freeze happened AGAIN, on the same exact part. I made it to chapter 3, saved the game, quit the game and it froze. I even managed to save successfully before making it to chapter 3. I'm just gonna get the card2 version of the game.

I guess I can trust Gateway 100%. It was the game itself being a problem. Only on chapter 3 it seems.

EDIT: it's not Gateway's fault, the same thing happens on the cia version of the game.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: The freeze happened AGAIN, on the same exact part. I made it to chapter 3, saved the game, quit the game and it froze. I even managed to save successfully before making it to chapter 3. I'm just gonna get the card2 version of the game.

I guess I can trust Gateway 100%. It was the game itself being a problem. Only on chapter 3 it seems.
I had this problem with the airlock puzzle in Zero Escape. 3/5 launching the puzzle locked the system. Hopefully you can get past that part.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this problem with the airlock puzzle in Zero Escape. 3/5 launching the puzzle locked the system. Hopefully you can get past that part.
The game itself works fine all the way through beginning to end, it's just when I close out when Im finished playing, and only after I've gotten to chapter 3, the 3DS itself freezes while it says closing software. I'm just gonna get the cia version of the game. I have a bit of OCD and only like having 3DS games as .3DS and eshop games installed as cia.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1