Hacking Is there some way to emulate GameCube games?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
By Wii U mode i mean that Wii U itself is powerful enough to run GC.
Yes, not as emulation though.
I think it's tougher to create something like Nintendont on the Wii U side because the inner workings of Wii U mode aren't known as well as Wii mode. There's also far less interest in Wii U in general.
Though I would love to have a Nintendont in Wii U mode that could run both Wii and GC games, with full gamepad, pro controller, classic controller and GC controller support in all games (except those that use motion controls, of course)

Reactions: Deleted User

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
By Wii U mode i mean that Wii U itself is powerful enough to run GC.
lol dont make me laungh, not in a million years could the wiiu emulate gc... check dolphin minimum requirements and then look around and make those requirements much bigger since we are on ppc not on x86.

Reactions: GerbilSoft
D

Deleted User

lol dont make me laungh, not in a million years could the wiiu emulate gc... check dolphin minimum requirements and then look around and make those requirements much bigger since we are on ppc not on x86.
Prove it by coding and making Wii U run GC from Wii U mode, then come back.
Your every post is like "Ugh, no it's fake/doesn't work/untrue" so prove your stuff for once.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your every post is like "Ugh, no it's fake/doesn't work/untrue" so prove your stuff for once.
as the main dev of nintendont I can safely tell you, it wont happen unless somebody decides to dedicate a couple years of their life to do it.
Doesn't Nintendont play Gamecube games through vWii since the Wii U has some Wii hardware which was compatible with Gamecube games?
Indeed, vWii is in fact just extra hardware in the wiiu to keep full wii backwards hardware compatibility, thats why nintendont works with it and on a real wii.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Someone that says prove it by code just doesnt get how programing an emulators work ...

if dolphin was ported to the wiiu mode you would run games at under 5 fps i dont need to provve it just try your pc and see how demanding dolphin is and the wiiu is a very poor mans pc.

D

Deleted User

Someone that says prove it by code just doesnt get how programing an emulators work ...

if dolphin was ported to the wiiu mode you would run games at under 5 fps i dont need to provve it just try your pc and see how demanding dolphin is and the wiiu is a very poor mans pc.
By that logic, Wii should be a fucking potato that can't even run GC games, lol.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
By that logic, Wii should be a fucking potato that can't even run GC games, lol.
i see you dont understand what an emulator is...
wiii runs fine becuase it doesnt emulate anything is native code, when running native code all the cpu and gpu do is follow the game comands, when your emulating you need to emulate the entire console and game comands all at once as a very rough example for you to understand.

for isntnce you need a mosnter pc to emulate atari jaguar and 3d0 fullspeed while the consoles were preety weak that even the n64 could beat them.. and yet you cant run an atari jagaur emulator fullspeed unless you have a todays high end pc.

Last edited by pedro702,
D

Deleted User

i see you dont understand what an emulator is...
wiii runs fine becuase it doesnt emulate anything is native code, when running native code all the cpu and gpu do is follow the game comands, when your emulating you need to emulate the entire console and game comands all at once as a very rough example for you to understand.

for isntnce you need a mosnter pc to emulate atari jaguar and 3d0 fullspeed while the consoles were preety weak that even the n64 could beat them.. and yet you cant run an atari jagaur emulator fullspeed unless you have a todays high end pc.
*drinks tea*
Atari Jaguar was crap anyways, i'd rather emulate C64.
But anyways, back on-topic, everything will run correctly if you know something we on PC call "Optimization". /thread

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
*drinks tea*
Atari Jaguar was crap anyways, i'd rather emulate C64.
But anyways, back on-topic, everything will run correctly if you know something we on PC call "Optimization". /thread
i see its useless to debate with someone that has no idea what he is talking about, optimization can only get you so far, people cant make miracles have fun living in wonderland.

Racionaly speaking with optimization the farthest the wiiu could emulate is ps1,n64 and it needs years of work, tahst why you dont see anything done.

Reactions: GerbilSoft
D

Deleted User

i see its useless to debate with someone that has no idea what he is talking about, optimization can only get you so far, people cant make miracles have fun living in wonderland.

Racionaly speaking with optimization the farthest the wiiu could emulate is ps1,n64 and it needs years of work, tahst why you dont see anything done.
Years of work because Dynarec PPC core and normal Dynarec core doesn't exist.
"Have fun living in wonderland" Huh, atleast i don't live in endless denial. Just really comparing a x86/x64-bit PC emulator to a console is just dumb. It's like comparing a beast PC to a small toaster.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Years of work because Dynarec PPC core and normal Dynarec core doesn't exist.
"Have fun living in wonderland" Huh, atleast i don't live in endless denial. Just really comparing a x86/x64-bit PC emulator to a console is just dumb. It's like comparing a beast PC to a small toaster.
you already awnsered your own questions, why would emulators that require best pc's work on small toasters? lol

D

Deleted User

you already awnsered your own questions, why would emulators that require best pc's work on small toasters? lol
I see we are going nowhere. i ran out of tea...
You compared a workstation, something that can have things changed unlike consoles.
Also Dolphin is optimized for PCs and was created for PCs in mind, so you're kinda blabbering nonsense.

Anyways i don't think you understand so i'm going to just leave you i guess.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see we are going nowhere. i ran out of tea...
You compared a workstation, something that can have things changed unlike consoles.
Also Dolphin is optimized for PCs and was created for PCs in mind, so you're kinda blabbering nonsense.

Anyways i don't think you understand so i'm going to just leave you i guess.
You've been told over and over that the Wii u can't emulate gcn, as I said over a day ago, and that nintendont IS NOT EMULATION. Stop saying that because nintendont runs, an emulator should too. You claimed a Wii should run gamecube implying it's emulation which shows you know nothing about the Wii and said if it was optimized it could be run on a Wii u which shows you don't know what optimization means. Btw can you develop me a dolphin port for gba? Optimize it a bit and it will run 144hz.

Last edited by bi388,
D

Deleted User

Oh my god this thread. You will never see GameCube emulated in the Wii U mode. Ever. Even if someone decided to make one it probably wouldn't work very good.

Use Nintendont. Its using real Wii hardware that is inside the Wii U, instead of emulation, and more or less has 100% comparability and runs exactly how it should.

The OP was totally chill too, this got derailed. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't spout off.

idiots holy shit

Last edited by ,

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@Felek666 Well... you aren't completely wrong about emulation.

The Wii U uses a Tri-Core IBM PowerPC750 "Espresso" that runs at 1.24GHz, while the GameCube is also an IBM PowerPC750, it's codename is "Gekko" and Espresso is just an evolution of the GC CPU... (btw, Gekko runs much slower at 486MHz and is single-core)
We have a CPU that is pretty similar to the GameCube, at the point that vWii disables 2 cores, reduces clock speeds, locks caches, etc in order to match the Wii's "Broadway" CPU (Which also is a PowerPC750 design).

However... we have the GPU part, I will try to explain this, The Wii U has a chip that is codenamed "Latte", inside Latte we have the GX2 GPU (Wii U Mode) that is the new HD Graphics Processor with a NEW arquitecture, and we also have the GX GPU that is there for legacy purposes (It's probably the Wii GPU).
When going to cafe2wii, Wii U switch to the GX GPU and GX2 GPU stops working, so that's why it's not possible to get highter resolutions in vWii mode, GX has the same power capabilities as the original Wii, no more, no less.

So... the CPU part is easy, you have a CPU that is much more powerful in the same PowerPC family, the process is OK up to there.
But the GPU part is complicated, because you have another arquitecture in the GX2... (It's the only chip that would be capable to run the games at higher resolutions) which I'm not really sure about this part because some people says that the Wii U GPU arquitecture is based on the R7xxx of AMD, and a old email from AMD iself said that the GPU is based from the E6760 core...
Anyway, the only thing that seems to be a problem is the GPU, but the GPUs that are inside PCs are a lot different too, My PC specs are this:
4GB DDR2
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz
NVIDIA Geforce 9500gt

And I remember I managed to play with normal frame rates Wii games at highter resolutions than the original console.
(DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is the one example that comes to my head now, I can't remember of a GameCube one)
I don't remember exactly at what resolution though.

What I try to say with this is that the Wii U is capable of emulating the GameCube and play at highter resolutions, the CPU isn't a problem, RAM neither, the only thing is the GPU, but a NVIDIA Geforce 9500gt managed to run the games at highter resolutions, so why the GX2 GPU wouldn't?
The thing I'm about to write is a little cancerogenous, because is not the proper way to measure performance between GPUs, a lot less if the GPUs are from different companies brand, but just take it to get you an idea:

The NVIDA GeForce 9500GT manages about 90GFLOPS if I not bad remember, that GPU as I said is capable of making the Wii games run at higher resolutions.

The Wii U GPU manages about 352GFLOPS (and yes, I know some people says that is 176GFLOPS, but it's bullshit). So, we have a GPU that is more powerful, if Dolphin has to do the job here... well, it's obvious that I will get a decent resolution.

Then summarizing, yes, it's completely possible to make an emulator of GameCube for Wii U, a direct port of Dolphin would run like ass since Dolphin is designed for x86-64 arquitecture, and that would make a problem here... but the Wii U is powerful enough to emulate GameCube games at highter resolutions, however someone has to make FROM SCRATCH an emulator for the Wii U arquitecture and not the bullshit that Pedro702 said about Dolphin running on the Wii U, hell... I don't know how someone can even think about porting a program that is designed to translate PPC code to x86-64... we don't need any CPU translation here, just native PPC code, the real thing that needs to be translated is the GPU part.
The problem with dolphin is also that is not designed to run PPC code as native code for obvious reasons (I think Nintendont do that, it's an interpreter), is not as easy like to port a SNES PC emulator, in that case it would be correctly to port it from PC because the thing emulates completely the SNES, I doubt the Ricoh 5A22 from the SNES would have similar code to the X86 CPU or the PPC to make an interpreter.

But well, nobody is going to make a brand new emulator for the Wii U to emulate the GameCube's games, it would be really hard and I don't think it's worth the effort, as we saw, even Nintendo went the easy way and integrated the GX GPU instead of making software emulation, and others emulators are just ports from PC.

Lonky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nintendont isn't emulating.
wrong word then, sorry

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh my god this thread. You will never see GameCube emulated in the Wii U mode. Ever. Even if someone decided to make one it probably wouldn't work very good.

Use Nintendont. Its using real Wii hardware that is inside the Wii U, instead of emulation, and more or less has 100% comparability and runs exactly how it should.

The OP was totally chill too, this got derailed. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't spout off.
Well, the term "emulate" was just wrong, my question was just like "is there Nintendont Wii U? How far has modding gone?", I just used the wrong word, my fault.
And that "The OP was totally chill", is it positive or not?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
wrong word then, sorry

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, the term "emulate" was just wrong, my question was just like "is there Nintendont Wii U? How far has modding gone?", I just used the wrong word, my fault.
And that "The OP was totally chill", is it positive or not?
the awnser is no there is only nintendont vwii and there will probably never exist a wiiu one.

Reactions: Lonky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-