Hardware Is there a way to get more electricity to the usb port

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are going to use a wall socket anyway then just get something from the big bag o power supplies most people capable of using a soldering iron accrue, and then stick the appropriate end on there. Far easier than messing around making your own for something as banal as 5V at a fairly low amperage.

You can do a transformed, rectified and smoothed, or do a capacitive dropper, or go for a proper switch mode affair but again for 5V and not a lot of current as these things go (below 5A for a wall thing is nothing) then let someone else build it for you.
Still the following series is likely to be of some interest if you are to be heading down that path

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
If you are going to use a wall socket anyway then just get something from the big bag o power supplies most people capable of using a soldering iron accrue, and then stick the appropriate end on there. Far easier than messing around making your own for something as banal as 5V at a fairly low amperage.

You can do a transformed, rectified and smoothed, or do a capacitive dropper, or go for a proper switch mode affair but again for 5V and not a lot of current as these things go (below 5A for a wall thing is nothing) then let someone else build it for you.
Still the following series is likely to be of some interest if you are to be heading down that path

All I was trying to say is I know about this stuff. :|

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a normal drive should not click when wii u is off. if it is then its not getting enough power from the phone charger or there is some other issue. the drive will spin up from a phone charger as they provide more then enough power. i mess with hdd all the time. if ones of those wd passport drives they will spin down when not in use. you will have to unplug the drive when not in use. To avoid problems like this i went with a 128gb flash drive. More then enough since all games that have a disc versions i buy the disc version. what drive does he have?
I know the current 2tb passport drive by western digital is a double height drive. its about twice as thick as a normal 2.5 inch hdd. that one has extra platters and will use extra power to spin up. most of the half drives like this wd 500gb laptop drive i have laying around uses less then 5 amp to spin up. a y splitter can also be used to get power from the second wii u usb port. the wii u provides enough power to power those 1.8 inch hdds in a box(old 30gb drive from an ipod converted to usd storage)

Last edited by Captain_N, , Reason: more info

MasterZoen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do that if I had the parts.

It's a chip, trasnformer, caps, resisters and diodes right?

I'm only posting to tell you, Gudenaurock, that I love your sig. I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw it.

Sorry, OP, but my buddy even tried rewiring and resoldering his Wii U to get more power from the USB ports just, "cuz [he] could." It's easier to use a y cable. If you want to have 2 drives plugged into the back, like I do, you need 2 y cables and USB wall adapter with 2 ports. You plug the big cable into the Wii U and the little cable into the adapter.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm only posting to tell you, Gudenaurock, that I love your sig. I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw it.

Sorry, OP, but my buddy even tried rewiring and resoldering his Wii U to get more power from the USB ports just, "cuz [he] could." It's easier to use a y cable. If you want to have 2 drives plugged into the back, like I do, you need 2 y cables and USB wall adapter with 2 ports. You plug the big cable into the Wii U and the little cable into the adapter.
Thanks! :-D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: