Hardware Is there a battery upgrade for the "New 3ds"??

Meeg85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might seem like an easy question, but i cannot find a straight forward answer, google/Forum searches just confuse me more. Im wondering if there is a battery upgrade specifically for the "New 3ds," The smaller model not the XL https://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/content-pdp/New_Nintendo_3DS/Nintendo_New3DS_Open_.jpg, because this model is somewhat usual, (not the small/ not the XL) I'm wondering If there is a mAh upgrade for this thing. Thanks

tomx86

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
is there a battery upgrade without the mugan case?
Sorry man, but I just don't get it that every time someone wants a battery upgrade for a handheld or a smartphone, they like "OMG, it's so bulky and heavy, I hate this:cry:", if you want a longer battery life, that should not be a problem, I got a galaxy s8 and new3dsxl with extended batteries that make them twice thicker and a little heaver but after some time your arm gets use to the weight and you don't feel it anymore, and it makes for a better grip.

Last edited by tomx86,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can modify your N3DS with a Qi charger receiver pad and modify a hand grip with an internal Li-ion battery and Qi transmitter pad. It won't be easy to pull off.

Reactions: Meeg85
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp, ill think about the Mugan unit. Im moving abroad in 2 months so my 3ds might become my best friend for a while.

Here's another idea that will give you hours of fun with slight hassle. You put the battery in your pocket and use a retractable extension 3DS cable. This is the largest legal airplane safe li-ion battery you may carry.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-Battery-26800mAh/dp/B012NIQG5E/

314%2BED9nTDL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/MyLifeUNIT-Retractable-Charging-New-3DS-XL/dp/B018UHO5ZK/

31JVRasgLRL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Meeg85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I used to consider getting mugen myself, but using it pretty much equals to ditching my LOVELY mhxx grip! In the end I just use my vita portable charger together with a 3ds usb charging cable if I ever need extra power.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to consider getting mugen myself, but using it pretty much equals to ditching my LOVELY mhxx grip! In the end I just use my vita portable charger together with a 3ds usb charging cable if I ever need extra power.

I whipped up a quick mock up setup with stuff laying around. If I had to do something like this, it would be cleaner with slimmer battery and trimmed 3DS cable. It is noticeably heavy, borderline unacceptable lol.

3_DS_battery_grip_1.png

3_DS_battery_grip_2.png

3_DS_battery_grip_3.png

3_DS_battery_grip_4.png

3_DS_battery_grip_5.png

Reactions: miss_nakano

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
any recommendations for a normal sized n3ds that is less bulky (twice the battery power is enough for me).
I've tried bigger batteries in the past for smartphones and psp but they usually failed after a few months and didn't really held what they promised in terms of playtime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any recommendations for a normal sized n3ds that is less bulky (twice the battery power is enough for me).
I've tried bigger batteries in the past for smartphones and psp but they usually failed after a few months and didn't really held what they promised in terms of playtime

The N3DS has the battery model KTR-003 with capacity of 1400 mAh.

By normal sized, do you mean keep the clean looks of the N3DS without adding bulk? You can't replace the original battery with an aftermarket brand and expect doubling in battery life. Nintendo's OEM battery is as good as you can get in today's rechargeable li-ion tech. Any company claiming massive gains in mAh rating over Nintendo's is inflating their numbers and lying to you.

The best you can do is attach an external slim/portable battery to your N3DS.

If you can get a Cyber Gadget N3DS hand grip for a good deal and know how to hardmod stuff, it's possible to gut the cartridge compartment and house a secondary battery with a Qi charger. This style is probably the cleanest setup when pulled off correctly.

6119J-F3S4L._SX522_.jpg

Cyber_Gadget_N3_DS_battery.png

Cyber_Gadget_N3_DS_Qi_Transmitter.png

* Transmitter is sandwiched inside the hand grip. Transparent to show location of internal component.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

By normal sized, do you mean keep the clean looks of the N3DS without adding bulk? You can't replace the original battery with an aftermarket brand and expect doubling in battery life. Nintendo's OEM battery is as good as you can get in today's rechargeable li-ion tech. Any company claiming massive gains in mAh rating over Nintendo's is inflating their numbers and lying to you.

If you can get a Cyber Gadget N3DS hand grip for a good deal and know how to hardmod stuff, it's possible to gut the cartridge compartment and house a secondary battery with a Qi charger. This style is probably the cleanest setup when pulled off correctly.

* Transmitter is sandwiched inside the hand grip. Transparent to show location of internal component.

When i say normal sized, I mean non-XL size.
I expect to add a bit more bulk, i just don't want to make the thing 2 or three times as big. The mugen one up above promises about 3 times playtime and close to doubles the bulk.
I'm looking for something of about half that size increase, adding about half as much batterypower.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect to add a bit more bulk, i just don't want to make the thing 2 or three times as big. The mugen one up above promises about 3 times playtime and close to doubles the bulk.
I'm looking for something of about half that size increase, adding about half as much batterypower.

Ah, gotcha. How you worded it, I wasn't sure whether to interpret you were trying to find a replacement 1-to-1 drop-in battery promising the impossible in battery life or a small enough external battery to attach somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-Batteries/dp/B005X1Y7I2/
https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-mini-3350/A1104041

Anker is a trusted brand for batteries. Their Powercore Mini 3350 is the smallest they offer but unfortunately like many batteries in this size, they come in cigar shape so attaching and stacking it onto the N3DS will pose a problem.

A possible solution is to use plastic safe hangers that wrap around the battery and clip onto the top edge of the upper screen lid. The hanger setup allows you to remove the battery without permanent affecting aesthetics. Battery weight is 3 oz, which should not be too bad in terms of throwing off the balance holding the system.

*Battery drawn to scale the N3DS.

31dIoNXE6GL.jpg

N3_DS_Anker_battery.png

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

6119J-F3S4L._SX522_.jpg

Cyber_Gadget_N3_DS_battery.png

Cyber_Gadget_N3_DS_Qi_Transmitter.png

Omg this is so interesting! I can't believe the mhxx grip can be modified with a battery! But the heaviness though..it is already quite heavy as it is lol.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It
The battery pack idea behind hand grip isn't mine. There's a reviewer on Amazon named Junstar who did a bluetooth adapter mod where I borrowed it from. Of course, we do lose out the use of the kickstand.

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Cross-hunting-gear-Nintendo/dp/B016XCSBC2/

81nUK3NwWgL._SL256_.jpg

It's amazing but I really like to use the stand to play on table sometimes while charging with vita portable charger. It is very comfortable because playing with stand completely alleviate the rather heavy weight of this grip and the console itself too.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I went back to the drawing board and came up with better approaches. Instead of the cigar shaped power bank by Anker, you can try using Jackery rectangular one for more flat contact attachment. Same mAh rating and also trusted battery brand as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Smallest-3350mAh-Portable-Charger/dp/B00L9F95RO/

61IhpdpIg7L._SL400_.jpg

N3_DS_Jackery_battery.png

Another approach is to use a flat, credit card shaped power bank attached to the back of the top screen plate. This one is 1500 mAh, which will supplement 1x battery life to the N3DS. You might need to get a 2nd top cover plate and glue the battery flush for low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWGT3PW/

41dc5whEf0L.jpg

412-HeBs32L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ALLONE-micro-B-3DS-Adapter-Charger-Converter/dp/B0101UA2SS/

31kOupmYLRL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Lanyos battery + ALLONE adapter drawn to scale.
N3_DS_Lanyos_battery.png

It's amazing but I really like to use the stand to play on table sometimes while charging with vita portable charger. It is very comfortable because playing with stand completely alleviate the rather heavy weight of this grip and the console itself too.

The MHXX has enough interior volume for internal battery mod, so 3DS users with this hand grip like us can keep the function of the kickstand. Sorry I didn't photoshop, got lazy. It's possible to add USB input and output ports at the top if you want to stick to cable charging. Qi wireless charging requires some new relocated pegs to keep the grip structurally stiff. I don't think many people would try this semi-hardmod due to risk of destroying $50 accessory that'll get more rare to buy as supplies dwindle.

20180601_043017.png

20180601_043030.png

20180601_043042.png

20180601_043054.png

20180601_043113.png

20180601_043249.png

20180601_043300.png

20180601_043551.png

20180601_043730.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: miss_nakano

Meeg85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went back to the drawing board and came up with better approaches. Instead of the cigar shaped power bank by Anker, you can try using Jackery rectangular one for more flat contact attachment. Same mAh rating and also trusted battery brand as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Smallest-3350mAh-Portable-Charger/dp/B00L9F95RO/

61IhpdpIg7L._SL400_.jpg

N3_DS_Jackery_battery.png

Another approach is to use a flat, credit card shaped power bank attached to the back of the top screen plate. This one is 1500 mAh, which will supplement 1x battery life to the N3DS. You might need to get a 2nd top cover plate and glue the battery flush for low profile.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWGT3PW/

41dc5whEf0L.jpg

412-HeBs32L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ALLONE-micro-B-3DS-Adapter-Charger-Converter/dp/B0101UA2SS/

31kOupmYLRL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Lanyos battery + ALLONE adapter drawn to scale.
N3_DS_Lanyos_battery.png

The MHXX has enough interior volume for internal battery mod, so 3DS users with this hand grip like us can keep the function of the kickstand. Sorry I didn't photoshop, got lazy. It's possible to add USB input and output ports at the top if you want to stick to cable charging. Qi wireless charging requires some new relocated pegs to keep the grip structurally stiff. I don't think many people would try this semi-hardmod due to risk of destroying $50 accessory that'll get more rare to buy as supplies dwindle.

20180601_043017.png

20180601_043030.png

20180601_043042.png

20180601_043054.png

20180601_043113.png

20180601_043249.png

20180601_043300.png

20180601_043551.png

20180601_043730.png
looks kool, but realistically, ill be walking around with a small laptop bag, so i wouldn't need the unit attached, but yeh , these are some cool ideas, im not crazy about the Mugan unit.
It kinda ruins the sleekness and portability of the 3ds, im in love with my new 3ds, have TONS of games on it, even some movies and its the perfect size, not to big not too small. I love my vita but the clamshell is just to perfect of a design for someone who wants to throw sometime in their pocket and go to work/out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch