Hardware Is the PSP Go a good model for me?

• Thread starter swiggu
  • Start date
  • Views 4,340
  • Replies 11
S

swiggu

Hello,

So I personally like the idea of a smaller device, but I am wondering if this PSP model is a good choice for me.

I like the idea of a PSP because I can emulate many systems, play the PSP games and also use it as a music and movie player. I have some questions I would like to ask.

Something I could not find is what the payment options are for the PSP store. I have a PayPal, will it works with this?

Also, I vaguely know how to hack the PSPs with removable batteries and I heard the Go is also hackable. How would this work? Is there a chance that my PSP bricks if I try to hack it?

The most easy PSP model for me to buy is the Street (E1000) model but I hear it's not very recommended, after that the Go model. All the other models I must order from outside TW and will cost a lot of money for transport because it's outside of my country.

I'm sorry for all these questions and also if my English is not very good (I can't always find the good words).

Thank you,
swiggu

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The go is definitely a better choice just for the built in memory and bluetooth support. PS vita is a better choice if you are looking for that form-factor. It all depends on price points.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funny story here..

I had owned a psp before, years ago and at that time knew nothing about getting the full use out of either as psp regular 1000 and myself had been considering a psp go. so I finally took the plunge and bought oe from my local pawn shop. upon examination it had some software (games) on it but would not allow access to them , and it had to other programs; the 'pro update' and a '660 pro-B Fast Recovery'. This was the first time i had heard of either of these being a mostly (DS1 & DS2 cards) DS fan.... although I had me a hankering for wipeout and Arctic Edge. So I bought it. (60 USD) piano black, but otherwise perfect. I left the software on there and purchased those two games. No sooner did I do that when I read here what the pro B update DOES. In other words, it already came with the 'hacked' software installed! lol. I hit the fast recovery after adding another 32 gb M2, not cheap but worth it. In seconds I gained the ability to play every game I personally ever wanted to and a few more.

I've been playing every game I've ever wanted and a few i didn't klnow I would want, ever since, some psp games, others psX and, GBA, GB & GB color, nes etc....

I had delayed because based on what I could decipher from the psp store I didnt know what games were already 'compatable' with that format/form factor.. (did some games not work on the psp?, well as it turns out, damd near everything is working on it (flaw-lessly I might add... Been enjoying my psp go ever since. Took me a day or two to get use to the smaller form factor ( I have hugh hands with sausage fingers) which I had previously thought would be more comfortable that it initially was, but it was well worth the few hours adjustment from the hand held feeling of a full on psp. One I got used to the new form, yeah it was everything I had dreamed of and more... Mine is the N 1001 model. At that price it was a steal. Oh, and the reload times after shutdown, which I rarely do, is so instant that the proB hack is almost not worth mentioning. I am not the expert here but If I understnad it, there are newer software available that is better than the Pro B 660. But I'm sure they will chime in and inform you correctly, whereas I can not.

Enjoy, take the plunge.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my bad, reprep, you are right my 32 gb was my DS2 my gb micro is my 16 GB I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking I have 32 gb between the two (on board and installed) wow, with as much as I have on it, it would seem like otherwise.. thanks for the heads up. 59 games between the two if you don't count the emulators content. and many are near or 1000+ MB

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i like my psp go and i plan to buy a 16 gb card too, but they are expensive. wish i can find one cheap.

but still i think the best psp is a psp vita with ecfw (tn-v7.3). vita has a larger screen than psp, the screen has better quality, longer psp game play time, analog sticks and d-pad are much better than psp, second analog stick can be programmed for different buttons of psp making some psp games play much better.

so even if you don't think of playing vita games, just buying a vita to play psp games is a smart choice.

S

swiggu

Well, I would get a Vita for those functions, but I really like how portable and small the Go model is (fits in pocket, pretty much like a cellphone, handy for in the train, etc.) and as long as I can emulate games on it etc. Go is fine for me.

But does anyone know if there's a risk of brick if I try to hack the Go?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you plan on using PSP homebrew and backups, buy a PSP, any will do, except the E-1000/Street because it's crap. PSVita eCFW is a bother and keeping the system up-to-date has superior benefits, like PS+. If you want to be Next Gen-Ready and roll legit, get the PSVita - with the OLED and dual analog it's a no contest situation right there.

As for the PSP's, consider an early PSP-2000 (8B or earlier Data Code) for the safest customization thanks to Pandora compatibility, if you don't care for that, the 3000 is fine as well - both use memory sticks cheaper than M2's and even support SD adapters, so you get loads of storage for next to nothing. If you dig built-in storage and bluetooth and don't mind M2 sticks and no UMD drive, get the Go. Avoid PSP-1000 (32 MB RAM means longer loading and no High Memory Support in homebrew... you ge IrDA though... XD), late PSP-2000 (no Pandora and worse battery life than the 3000) and the E-1000/Street (no WiFi, mono sound, ghetto build quality).

That's all there is to it, really.

S

swiggu

Well, I wouldn't use the Bluetooth much I think, but I like the built-in memory and I don't care if I have to pay a bit more for M2 sticks, also I prefer to have a really portable system so I prefer having the games on a small stick or on the console instead of UMD discs.

I don't know of all those technical terms, could you explain what 8B data code, PP-1000, etc. are?

And is there a risk of a brick if I try to hack the Go?

Roxxas21

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I wouldn't use the Bluetooth much I think, but I like the built-in memory and I don't care if I have to pay a bit more for M2 sticks, also I prefer to have a really portable system so I prefer having the games on a small stick or on the console instead of UMD discs.

I don't know of all those technical terms, could you explain what 8B data code, PP-1000, etc. are?

And is there a risk of a brick if I try to hack the Go?

the psp go is a good handled console, i am an owner of one, and mine is hacked, it's like if you get a psp go on fw 6.20 you can stay with it hacked everytime you launch it, if you get one in higher versions you should be able to use others hacks as well, but everytime you turn off your system you will need to open the hack again, if you even plan on hacking it you should use a CFW 6.20 PRO B10 if you get one with 6.20 and if you get any others high versions you need to get a CFW PRO C Fix 3, those are the most stable versions that i managed to install, the others have some bugs with some games, and doesnt play psx games on it, i recomend using the same as mine 6.60 PRO C Fix 3, with it you can acess the psn store and do what you want.

it can be bricked if you try to install corrupt things(updates) on it or even if you try installing an update from another psp model, but you shouldnt take those, if you follow some tutorials you will be able to get it hacked witouth bricking it.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
it is very hard to brick a psp nowadays (if you can read and understand).

psp go's bluetooth comes handy with a dualshock 3. this way you can make your psp go a home console and play psx and psp games on your tv via a tv-out cable. i generally have this setup. though you have to buy a psp go cradle to charge the battery while using tv-out cables for psp go.

i recommend a screen protecter for psp go. this way you can just put it into your pocket when you are out and don't worry about scratching the screen.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

So I personally like the idea of a smaller device, but I am wondering if this PSP model is a good choice for me.

I like the idea of a PSP because I can emulate many systems, play the PSP games and also use it as a music and movie player. I have some questions I would like to ask.

Something I could not find is what the payment options are for the PSP store. I have a PayPal, will it works with this?

Also, I vaguely know how to hack the PSPs with removable batteries and I heard the Go is also hackable. How would this work? Is there a chance that my PSP bricks if I try to hack it?

The most easy PSP model for me to buy is the Street (E1000) model but I hear it's not very recommended, after that the Go model. All the other models I must order from outside TW and will cost a lot of money for transport because it's outside of my country.

I'm sorry for all these questions and also if my English is not very good (I can't always find the good words).

Thank you,
swiggu

As one who has one... if you were using it purely legit, the PSP go would indeed be the unadulterated worst PSP handheld, bar none.

Best screen reportedly goes to the E-1000/Street model(s).

The thing with the E-1000/Street vs. any other standard PSP is that it is the most limiting, in terms of what it was able to support and how far you could mod it.

I know it was a big deal to try to get an early (1k/2k) in order to be able to use things like the TOOL battery that would let you recover from any bricking situation with those models, because of the more dangerous nature of how the CFW's hooks were embedded to enable the custom functionality.

It may even be worth seeing if anyone was 'upgrading' to a Vita, and make them an offer for their PSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ