Hardware Is the "Halo backlight" any good?

Traumkampfer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm looking to find a cheap way to give my GBA original some light so i can play it in the dark, and on Ebay I see these "Halo Backlights" being sold for around 25$, but I cant find any reviews or videos for these things.

Does anyone know if they are any good? And if they actually are a backlight?

I'm curious, because backlit GBA's sell for like 100$ on there, and backlight kits usually sell for 70$, so it seems odd if these things work and are only 25$

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you reliably just get a GBA SP for like $10 more? Or hell, an Original DS, or even DS Lite with broken hinge (easy, cheap fix).

If you're hell bent on keeping the quaint GBA going, it's an ok screen light. It's similar to the worm lights, all overhead lights, only that it's slightly more uniform but also more washed out looking. But it's still obviously a book light solution in appearance. It's a front light, not backlight.

Traumkampfer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you reliably just get a GBA SP for like $10 more? Or hell, an Original DS, or even DS Lite with broken hinge (easy, cheap fix).

If you're hell bent on keeping the quaint GBA going, it's an ok screen light. It's similar to the worm lights, all overhead lights, only that it's slightly more uniform but also more washed out looking. But it's still obviously a book light solution in appearance. It's a front light, not backlight.

Yeah, I could easily get an SP for cheap, but I like the original GBA's shape. Plus, I just bought it a couple months ago along with an EZ Flash IV for some nostalgia.

And I kinda figured it would be just a frontlight, since it was cheap-ish, and just went on the screen.

Now I'm just debating on going without a backlight, since I'm too cheap to shell out another 70$ for a backlight kit xD

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd just hold off or get a truly cheap booklight at DX.com or Aliexpress.com. The results and price just aren't worth it when much better options are available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.