Gaming Is the 3DS worth getting?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I invest in a system when I can name six games that I simply cannot wait to play. Although some of them are not out yet, the 3DS has easily passed that six game mark already, so I deemed it worth the money. Right now the games are good but not great. Worth playing but don't expect to be talking about them in ten year's time with glassy eyes. But I see the potential the system has. I can see what it's pretty much guaranteed to become as things begin to heat up over the next few months.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a release date console and i am really happy with my 3DS, my suggestion would be to see if there are any games out right now that you would like to play (i got street fighter, rayman and rabbids) and if there is currently nothing that you want to play, wait until there is something you want to play and get it then.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Preordered, and never looked back.

Unlike most though, when I tried the 3DS at the beginning of Feb, I never experienced any problems with headaches, dizziness etc. Even now I own it, it feels completely natural.

It is quite expensive, but I feel that I have invested in something that will only get better, and right now lots of places are selling the devices at a cheaper rate. When the software comes out, these are going to stay at their RRP, so contrary to what a lot of people are saying about waiting first, I think it's best to get it now as there are some fantastic games on the horizon:

Zelda OOT
Metal Gear Solid 3
DoA
Resident Evil Mecenaries
RE: Revelations
Kid Icarus
Starfox
Paper Mario
Super Mario 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Monster Hunter 3DS
Blaze Blue
Cave Story
Possible future Burnout game
Undoubtably some kind of Pokemon game
eShop titles (classics remastered in 3D!)
Internet Browser

IMO, the future is bright for the 3DS

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jpxdude said:
Preordered, and never looked back.

Unlike most though, when I tried the 3DS at the beginning of Feb, I never experienced any problems with headaches, dizziness etc. Even now I own it, it feels completely natural.

It is quite expensive, but I feel that I have invested in something that will only get better, and right now lots of places are selling the devices at a cheaper rate. When the software comes out, these are going to stay at their RRP, so contrary to what a lot of people are saying about waiting first, I think it's best to get it now as there are some fantastic games on the horizon:

Zelda OOT
Metal Gear Solid 3
DoA
Resident Evil Mecenaries
RE: Revelations
Kid Icarus
Starfox
Paper Mario
Super Mario 3DS
Mario Kart 3DS
Monster Hunter 3DS
Blaze Blue
Cave Story
Possible future Burnout game
Undoubtably some kind of Pokemon game
eShop titles (classics remastered in 3D!)
Internet Browser

IMO, the future is bright for the 3DS
that's the same way i think about it

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say save your cash.

Here's a shocker: I don't really care about Nintendo first party titles any more. It seem Nintendo systems sell on that nowadays instead of games in general. I have a Wii and a DS, I love them both to death, but I could easily live without them and use my PSP/PS3 (if I had a PS3 instead of a Wii). Mario, Zelda, they've kinda lost all that appeal to me. I saw Skyward Sword and went "meh".

Personally I'd keep saving for the NGP.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
alucard77 said:
Hey All,

I have been a way for while as the Wii Scene and the DS scene has been dead game wise of late, but decided to check back in. I have always bought game systems on launch day, especially handhelds. I have to say this is the first time I have not done so yet.

I am pretty surprised by the 3DS to be honest. I have no clue what Nintendo is doing. The system it self is drastically over priced for a Big N product. Then once you get past that, you have the amazing underwhelming launch titles. The highest score so far is for Street Fighter? Then you look at the the game line up and I don't see more the 2 or 3 games that are even worthwhile in the next year. So what is going on?

So for those of you who bought this. What makes this worth while at the moment?

On a separate note, the 3D really scares me. I tried playing it at Gamestop for like 10 minutes. When I stopped, my depth of field was all screwed up. I commute on a train and then go to drive. I don't want to be getting into car accidents because the 3DS is screwing up my depth of field. Does your mind eventually get use to it, so you don't have a messed up depth of field for 30 minutes after playing the system for a while?

I don't understand your claim here by the way. Have you seen the DS launch titles? They were terrible compared to the 3DS launch titles. And even then, 3DS launch titles aren't too bad.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3DS is worth it. You'll have fun.

NGP will be double the price of the 3DS knowing Sony's track record.

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The 3DS sounds extremely cool, but I would wait until there were enough good 3DS games to justify buying it. That's what I did with the DSi, except that I didn't buy it after all - as in the end, it was a scam, with the 3DS coming out a year after it without the DSi getting a single exclusive game that justified buying it before that if you already had a DS/Lite. Granted, I have more hopes for the 3DS than the DSi, but I'm still going to wait. Chances are by the time there are enough good games for it, it won't be as expensive as it is now, so I will save money too.

Skelletonike said:
Since the NGP is a Sony console, I can pretty much be sure that it'll be more expensive than the 3DS =S
And about 4 times more powerful.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Around May/June we have better games I doubt the price going to drop then.

Oh and about the dsi it had functions for ds games that the ds didn't

Even if it about 4 (maybe 3) times more powerful.

Fun > powerful.

Other words 3DS is probably going to be 4 times more fun.

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
KingVamp said:
True dat.

KingVamp said:
Oh and about the dsi it had functions for ds games that the ds didn't
None of which justified buying a whole new system TBH.

QUOTE(KingVamp @ Apr 9 2011, 04:31 PM)
Even if it about 4 (maybe 3) times more powerful.

Fun > powerful.

Other words 3DS is probably going to be 4 times more fun.
Agreed.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linuxGuru said:
KingVamp said:

Yeah honestly there is no way that the price would drop so soon.

Well if you're all about the used market then the used price could drop a bit. I'm a cheap ass so when it comes to used stuff, I buy it up. My Xbox 360 was used, my PSP was used, most of my games are used. I'll probably buy my 3DS used (if at all).

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There aren't a lot of good games on the market right now, so from that standpoint, no: The 3DS is not worth getting right now.

From a hacking standpoint, I'd say it's for the best if you buy one now as these first models will be more vulnerable. You know you don't wanna be the guy with a 3DS Lite and no hax while all your friends are on Phats with CFW.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Well if you're all about the used market then the used price could drop a bit. I'm a cheap ass so when it comes to used stuff, I buy it up. My Xbox 360 was used, my PSP was used, most of my games are used. I'll probably buy my 3DS used (if at all).
There no way you just being a devil advocate. Haven't even seen and use it yourself. Having not seen how natural looking games can look with 3D.

Anyway

So I assume you getting you NGP used?

Plus it going to be a while 'till the used price will be worth it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
There no way you just being a devil advocate. Haven't even seen and use it yourself. Having not seen how natural looking games can look with 3D.

Anyway

Holy fuck. I say the 3DS will probably have a cheaper used price by May. I never even said a word about the system itself in that post. What the fuck are you talking about?

If I have the money at the time the NGP comes out I'll buy it new though.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Anyway

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Apr 10 2011, 02:08 PM)
Holy fuck. I say the 3DS will probably have a cheaper used price by May. I never even said a word about the system itself in that post. What the fuck are you talking about?

If I have the money at the time the NGP comes out I'll buy it new though.
Ladies. Ladies. Stop the bitching.

I personally think the 3DS is worth waiting until May-June, when the first party titles start coming out. It's sort of "meh" right now.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'll probably buy my 3DS used (if at all)"

Just the way you stated the last part with you past comments seem to convey something.

But it may just seem I'm looking to much into it. My bad...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-