Hacking Is Sky3DS+ yesterdays news?

Atlantis_Risen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A year or so ago I got a sky3ds+, it seemed like the absolute best way to play 3ds roms on my 3ds. It's worked beautifully ever since. But I see almost no threads on it now and all talk seems to be about .cia. Is the sky3ds obsolete? Any reason why,if it works so well...?

Thanks.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS+: Can only play perfect rips of cartridge games. Cost: ~$80
CFW: Can run any code on the 3DS, including great homebrew. Cost: Free or ~$2 depending on your situation.

Yeah, Sky3DS is pretty obsolete at this point, and to be fair, it was kind of obsolete when it was released except for those who were unable to get CFW on their 3DS at the time.

Last edited by Cuphat,

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
You either pay 80 dollars for a sky3ds+ and play with a chance of getting banned or you can spend 10 bucks on a r4i card and do everything you want with your 3ds, if you are a parent and looking something for your kid sky3ds+ seems better cause you just drag roms and play but still installing cfw theese days is almost %100 fool proof unless you do something real stupid

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
yesterday news?
it was already obsolete when it was released.
even before NTRboot, CFW with sound hax was free and better.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3DS flashcarts in general have been obsolete for quite some time now. This is mostly because CFWs can not only do the same thing they provide, but also provide additional features that a flashcart simply can't provide. Honestly the biggest thing that kills them is the fact that they are no longer necessary. MicroSD cards are far cheaper than any flashcart on the market, freeShop eliminates the need for double the space for CIAs (in most cases,) and when you get down to it CFWs are just cheaper. Even buying an NTRBoot compatible cart and a large MicroSD is still far cheaper than a 3DS flashcart.

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like everyone has said, CFW is free and it allows you to do a lot more than a flashcard. However, flashcards aren't entirely useless, it is nice to be able to quickly throw some roms onto an SD card and play them without having to install CIAs which can take a long time if they're large.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like everyone has said, CFW is free and it allows you to do a lot more than a flashcard. However, flashcards aren't entirely useless, it is nice to be able to quickly throw some roms onto an SD card and play them without having to install CIAs which can take a long time if they're large.

Thats exactly what i use my stargate 3ds for, quick test before i convert to cia and install on the 3ds

Atlantis_Risen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You either pay 80 dollars for a sky3ds+ and play with a chance of getting banned or you can spend 10 bucks on a r4i card and do everything you want with your 3ds, if you are a parent and looking something for your kid sky3ds+ seems better cause you just drag roms and play but still installing cfw theese days is almost %100 fool proof unless you do something real stupid

thanks all for your replies. Why is there a chance of banning with sky3ds+...? I think I need to research CFW.

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
thanks all for your replies. Why is there a chance of banning with sky3ds+...? I think I need to research CFW.
with sky3ds you use public headers and unless you use a private header you are using the header everyone else is playing with and most of the time you get banned because of it. You can get a private header by buying a legit game and using that games header or just install cfw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Atlantis_Risen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with sky3ds you use public headers and unless you use a private header you are using the header everyone else is playing with and most of the time you get banned because of it. You can get a private header by buying a legit game and using that games header or just install cfw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thanks. i actually use a privet header so I'm good there.

Direnta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of buying a $70+ flashcard when you can buy a DSIware game for $2 which can install CFW and lets you backup/download games (like sky3ds) or an R4 card for $10-$15.

tl;dr cfw lets you do what sky3ds+ can and more

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still love my Sky3ds+, but even the Sky3ds website don’t update fast like it used too. Is it safe to download the latest update on my 3ds?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still love my Sky3ds+, but even the Sky3ds website don’t update fast like it used too. Is it safe to download the latest update on my 3ds?

It seems like latest update 11.8 sends info to Nintendo.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: elm

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The orange-button Sky is not obsolete for what it does (that is, believed-to-be-100%-accurate card emulation) - in fact it's the only (consumer-accessible) option for it

As said above, it is expensive and clunky as a way of playing backups of physical 3DS games, especially if not alternating often between different consoles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wired is better for faster charge but if you just leave it all night while you sleep it's good