Gaming Is Resident Evil a prerendered video with camera controls?

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But on topic, I've heard the argument that non playable demos don't really represent the capabilities of a system. Usually that's because they were sometimes pre-rendered right? Because you're able to move the camera around it's not pre-rendered. However, actually controlling the character does require more processing power doesn't it? Meaning it's possible that the system isn't able to perform as smoothly as the cinematic than in actual gameplay. But judging from past games and logic, this doesn't seem like the case.

I actually believe it will be able to run those kind of graphics smoothly in actual gameplay since we've seen something like RE amd MGS so early in the system's life.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
HaniKazmi said:
Wow, that's really kind!
smile.gif
Gotta love Nintendo for sure
wub.gif

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Seraph said:
Nintendo isn't completely ruthless.
You don't remember the 80s and early 90s? Try reading "Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World" by david sheff to refresh your memory.

QUOTEThey did give an 11 year old girl (or her class) a DS free of charge on a request. I'm sure a lot of companies do good acts some times.
And look at the positive publicity (resulting in higher sales) that brought. Companies do things that will make them money - sometimes there is convergence with "doing good".

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph said:
But on topic, I've heard the argument that non playable demos don't really represent the capabilities of a system. Usually that's because they were sometimes pre-rendered right? Because you're able to move the camera around it's not pre-rendered. However, actually controlling the character does require more processing power doesn't it? Meaning it's possible that the system isn't able to perform as smoothly as the cinematic than in actual gameplay. But judging from past games and logic, this doesn't seem like the case.

I actually believe it will be able to run those kind of graphics smoothly in actual gameplay since we've seen something like RE amd MGS so early in the system's life.
Never heard of such a thing. The 3DS should be able to pull off just as impressive graphics playable or not.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
QUOTE said:
They did give an 11 year old girl (or her class) a DS free of charge on a request. I'm sure a lot of companies do good acts some times.
And look at the positive publicity (resulting in higher sales) that brought. Companies do things that will make them money - sometimes there is convergence with "doing good".

And you don't know if that actually resulted in higher sales. I don't think this story was even that well known(probably wasn't even in the User submitted News section and people post everything there). And still, my point stands because they were "doing good"(even if they benefited from it) makes them not "completely" ruthless. But I assume we have a different definition of "ruthless" to begin with.

QUOTE(granville @ Jun 18 2010, 03:44 AM)
Never heard of such a thing. The 3DS should be able to pull off just as impressive graphics playable or not.
Well think of the Wii's on the rail shooters. If they made those games into the 3rd person games they probably wouldn't have the same level of detail. That's probably a bad example though...or maybe the argument was stupid/wrong anyway, because I came to the same conclusion as you on the RE 3DS demo.

QuietShark9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:

There are collision detections, input detections, AI... there's a lot more going on playable. But yes, it shouldn't affect the graphics capability too much.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Seraph said:
And you don't know if that actually resulted in higher sales.
I know that positive publicity == higher sales.

QUOTEI don't think this story was even that well known
I read it on a UK based non-gaming website, so it wasn't that small a story. I think it even made it into one of the UK free daily newspapers.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
Seraph said:
And you don't know if that actually resulted in higher sales.
I know that positive publicity == higher sales.
You'd be wrong then. == means it's an absolute like 1 == 1 is true. Positive publicity may/most likely means higher sales but it's not definitive. And still, doesn't mean they had higher sales from this story. But this is sounding like a really dumb argument and is drifting away from the Nintendo being ruthless idea which was off topic to begin with.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kyuubi said:
granville said:

There are collision detections, input detections, AI... there's a lot more going on playable. But yes, it shouldn't affect the graphics capability too much.
Those things shouldn't really have any noticeable effect on the system capabilities. Unless they tried to use some kind of fancy physics engine like Havoc or Euphoria (GTA4 and Force Unleashed). Normal physics are not demanding, and should not affect how a system looks. In fact, i've NEVER seen a tech demo for a system or an E3 demo that looked better as a demo than the final game. These demos may not even be pushing the 3DS to its limits, believe it or not. We really have no idea of the exact power under the hood.

D

Deleted-188346

Brian10122 said:
Well, I really hated the Wii RE games. I hope to god its not like that.
Gameplay, or story-wise?
Considering it seems to be set in the Resident Evil 5 design, it won't have the same ultra cheese story as RE4 had.
And without the motion controls, it'll most likely play similar to RE5.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it's not gonna be a game?

I was so stoked to play a game like RE5 on the 3DS.
Same deal with MGS3DS?

Personally, I don't care about the visuals. I only want good game play. Nintendo used to understand that.

D

Deleted-188346

_Chaz_ said:

Same deal with MGS3DS?

Personally, I don't care about the visuals. I only want good game play. Nintendo used to understand that.
It's going to be a game, google "Resident Evil Revelations".

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
_Chaz_ said:

Same deal with MGS3DS?

It's going to be a game, google "Resident Evil Revelations".

I knew about this, I was just really confused. I had thought that this was to be the "game" itself.

Relieved.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
Brian10122 said:
Gameplay, or story-wise?
Considering it seems to be set in the Resident Evil 5 design, it won't have the same ultra cheese story as RE4 had.

I just hate the thing where its basically ALL a video and you get crosshair icons on the screen and you get a little icon in the corner telling you what gun you have.. I don't know, but I just don't know who could like those games.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Puppy_Washer said:
Brian10122 said:
Gameplay, or story-wise?

I just hate the thing where its basically ALL a video and you get crosshair icons on the screen and you get a little icon in the corner telling you what gun you have.. I don't know, but I just don't know who could like those games.

you mean a FPS?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be prepare.. Yeah, they make Resident Evil for 3DS , great.. NOT! They will never make more sequels at all. Look at Resident Evil DS.. Whats happening to series for DS ? Thats the point. Useless.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Puppy_Washer said:
Brian10122 said:
Gameplay, or story-wise?

You're talking about on-rails first person shooters, such as House of the Dead. I'm not a big fan of them either unless they're in the arcades. I don't feel like buying a home console to experience those games anyways. It's not really video though, unless you count those early 90's games with FMV's.

This Resident Evil demo clearly let you control the camera though, which shows that it wasn't a video. Not sure what kind of gameplay it was though. I feel you with the rail shooters though, never been a huge fan of them unless it's in an arcade.

@RockmanForte-

REDS was just a rather simple port of the first RE game from PS1. They used the same graphics, areas, and even cheesy voice actors. This game though doesn't look like ANY Resident Evil game, it looks new and original.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
in my opinion the 3ds demo may have been real but the screenshots on nintendo's site feature no jaggies, and an amazing light system, im just not sure this is possible tbh, since every other game has had jaggies to some extent with the exception of resident evil, plus the screens are clearly from cutscenes, and so could be pre-rendered.

I haven't seen any videos of the game in action, and it doesn't seem like anyone filmed it, so can anyone who was at E3 confirm what they saw in the demo. does it match the screens

I bet without any doubt those screens were rendered on a devkit with higher quality graphics, like the psp god of war screen-shots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)