Gaming Is Resident Evil a prerendered video with camera controls?

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Is Resident Evil a prerendered video with camera controls to change angles. Im hearing many mixed comments. Has any one of you gone off to E3, and tried it? Is it real-time?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a video, you couldn't control the camera angle in a video. It's a scripted on-rails demo being rendered real time using the 3DS hardware. It isn't playable, but it's not a video, it's a real example of the kind of ingame visuals the system can push when we finally get to play some games. It has been confirmed as that, and you can adjust the camera to any angle using the analog stick.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
well thats a bit shit. I have a horrible feeling the graphics are going to be way below expectations.
I was hoping for a massive improvement in graphics over the psp but it looks like i am going to be dissapointed, I should know by now that nintendo will never deliver what we want. They are relying on the 3d screen to fool people into believing the graphics are better than they actually are.
Guess we can expect psp level graphics at best then, along with the 3d screen. I am sad.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Read the post above.
MGS is the same. An on-rails demo, but all rendered in real time by the 3DS.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DaRk_ViVi-

I'm afraid not at this time. There is one of MGS3D. The RE demo and MGS work the same way, they are both an onrails demo showing off real time rendered graphics. You can't control either one's characters, but you can rotate the view angle using the analog nub. The games ARE an accurate representation of what a real game can look like. In fact, these demos could easily be modified into a playable form with no loss of quality. You COULD play these demos if the developers had allowed it. They just wanted to show off the graphics and 3D effect though apparently.

lostdwarf said:
well thats a bit shit. I have a horrible feeling the graphics are going to be way below expectations.
I was hoping for a massive improvement in graphics over the psp but it looks like i am going to be dissapointed, I should know by now that nintendo will never deliver what we want. They are relying on the 3d screen to fool people into believing the graphics are better than they actually are.
Guess we can expect psp level graphics at best then, along with the 3d screen. I am sad.
What are you talking about? The system has already proven to be able to output superior graphics to the PSP...

mmdbhd.jpg

29w39zn.jpg

Maybe you misunderstood me. The graphics you see above are NOT video, they are being rendered exactly like ingame graphics are rendered. You may not can control the character in the demo, but this is what games can really look like on the system as you play them. I don't know how much clearer i can be, but lets just say that these are what games will look like if a developer chooses to use the system's power.

And you can't even SEE those screens in 3D and you can already tell how good they are. The 3D effect is required to be viewed in person, you can't just look at a screen or video with your PC and judge it. The screens you see here are better than anything i've ever seen the PSP produce.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:

Huh?

I really don't get how someone can get disappointed with something they have never used before. The thing probably wont be available for another 6 to 12 months and already you are complaining about how crap it is when you know nothing about it.
First point to make is that just because the E3 demos were all on rails, that is, non-free roaming, to show the 3D effect only, does not mean that the games will be crap, nor does it mean that ght gfx will be poor. If you look at the screenshots on the Nintendo homepage, you will see that all of those games look at least Wii quality. That fact alone is not bad when you consider the max resolution of the screen in 2D mode will only be 400x240. In 3D mode thats only 200x240. Nintendo have show that you do not need super hi-res gfx to sell a system, you just need to make games that people want to play. On the same hand, Sony have show that hi-res gfx is not enough to sell a system. Some of the best games ever made were released in the 80's and 90's, long before these modern gfx were possible.
Before you start complaining about how crap a new system is, you might want to wait until you can actually have a go on one before making up your mind.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:

I love it when people don't have a valid argument, so the just repeat exactly what they said earlier!

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
spinal_cord said:
That fact alone is not bad when you consider the max resolution of the screen in 2D mode will only be 400x240. In 3D mode thats only 200x240.

Actually, the top screen is 800x240, and in 3D it's supposed to be 400x240.

...or anything. I don't really understand exactly how it works,
but even the official 'articles' from Nintendo state that the top screen is 800x240.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isabelyes said:
spinal_cord said:
That fact alone is not bad when you consider the max resolution of the screen in 2D mode will only be 400x240. In 3D mode thats only 200x240.

but even the official 'articles' from Nintendo state that the top screen is 800x240.
It is a bit confusing, but they split the 800 pixels in half, leaving 400 for each eye, which is how they achieve the 3D effect. Each eye gets 400 pixels, and sees a slightly different angle of the screen, tricking your eyes into seeing a 3-dimensional image. Spinal actually made a typo there or heard wrong.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
granville said:
isabelyes said:
spinal_cord said:

It is a bit confusing, but they split the 800 pixels in half, leaving 400 for each eye, which is how they achieve the 3D effect. Each eye gets 400 pixels, and sees a slightly different angle of the screen, tricking your eyes into seeing a 3-dimensional image. Spinal actually made a typo there or heard wrong.

Yeah, half typo, half misunderstanding.
My own typo confused me into thinking it would be possible to achieve higher res in 2D than in 3D.
I apologise for any confusion caused.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
sorry guys im having a bad day already...
I believe the games will be amazing. They are on a nintendo system after all, i just thought that after all the money they made from us buying wii and ds dslite dsi and games, they would at least comment on the cpu power and tell us the 3ds is going to be cheap as a thank you to the fans. Like i said, im having a bad day and am just complaining about nothing. I will buy this 3ds no matter what, i'm addicted to nintendo, i just wanr it to be the best thing ever and im worried nintendo will dissapoint.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
A thank you to the fans? lol, keep dreaming. Nintendo are an incredibly ruthless business, they only give "thank-yous" if it will make them a lot of money in the long term.
Nintendo isn't completely ruthless. They did give an 11 year old girl (or her class) a DS free of charge on a request. I'm sure a lot of companies do good acts some times. And people like Miyamoto genuinely seem like they want to make people happy.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
xcdjy said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
Seraph said:
They did give an 11 year old girl (or her class) a DS free of charge on a request. I'm sure a lot of companies do good acts some times.
They did?! When was that?
Was that sarcasm lol? But yeah they did, about a month or two ago because she couldn't afford one.
Publicity though, I reckon.
Man I can't believe Resident Evil is hitting 3DS. Too much awesomesauce.
No, it wasn't sarcasm, or any other form of humour, I have honestly never heard of that
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn