SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i was going to buy a PSP on eBay. I'v seen very cheap ones(What $31 w/ shipping). Since i can afford a USED PSP, i was wondering since the PSP is a Fat, will new Firmware upgrades work? Because i know latest FW's are practically for the PSP Slim(The Skype thing).
So will it be usable?

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SavageWaffle said:
So i was going to buy a PSP on eBay. I'v seen very cheap ones(What $31 w/ shipping). Since i can afford a USED PSP, i was wondering since the PSP is a Fat, will new Firmware upgrades work? Because i know latest FW's are practically for the PSP Slim(The Skype thing).
So will it be usable?
I'm not sure what you mean by usable? It will be able to have all the updates and everything (just not skype), Phat PSPs will work just fine.
yaypsp.gif

yankees26eac92

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I updated my phat to as high as 3.90 before I used Pandora to get it to 3.90 m-33. So it should work for now but I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple months Sony dubs them "obsolete". You know, always trying to get more $$$$.

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country
SavageWaffle said:
Im saying will new updates come out for the Fat(meaning it would be compatible)

Of course new updates will come. Not even Sony, assholes through they are, would be so stupid to eliminate a very, very big share of it´s users. While Homebrew development will slowly become scarse on the FAT, you have mor then enough of software as it is today.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yankees26eac92 said:
Well I updated my phat to as high as 3.90 before I used Pandora to get it to 3.90 m-33. So it should work for now but I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple months Sony dubs them "obsolete". You know, always trying to get more $$$$.
Even if they do, someone will figure out how to run hacked updates or release the new features in patches or something.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As far as games, updates and custom firmwares go, there is nothing the slim and lite has that the phat won't have too. They're essentially the same, except the slim is lighter, consumes less battery power, and has a twice the predictive cache size to reduce loading times in UMD based games (if you use downloaded/pirated games, which we are not allowed to direct to, then you will not notice any difference. Also any new firmware as of 2.6x will be compatible on both, and will always be compatible on both. You just can't get a slim and lite down below 2.6x.

This is because the phat has 1 advantage that the slim and lite cannot have - 1.5 kernal. This kernal is used in many of the older homebrew and some of the new homebrew, as well as many of the downgraders, meaning that they will NOT run on a slim and lite. There are various solutions to this, such as eLoader, but more commonly homebrewers are recompiling their homebrew or just writing new homebrew specifically to be slim compatible, using 2.6 kernal or above.

Popular opinion also goes that if you try a PSP slim, you will not want to go back to the phat, just because of the extra weight and bulkiness of the phat. I have both, but I only use my slim.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
As far as games, updates and custom firmwares go, there is nothing the slim and lite has that the phat won't have too. They're essentially the same, except the slim is lighter, consumes less battery power, and has a twice the predictive cache size to reduce loading times in UMD based games (if you use downloaded/pirated games, which we are not allowed to direct to, then you will not notice any difference. Also any new firmware as of 2.6x will be compatible on both, and will always be compatible on both. You just can't get a slim and lite down below 2.6x.

This is because the phat has 1 advantage that the slim and lite cannot have - 1.5 kernal. This kernal is used in many of the older homebrew and some of the new homebrew, as well as many of the downgraders, meaning that they will NOT run on a slim and lite. There are various solutions to this, such as eLoader, but more commonly homebrewers are recompiling their homebrew or just writing new homebrew specifically to be slim compatible, using 2.6 kernal or above.

Popular opinion also goes that if you try a PSP slim, you will not want to go back to the phat, just because of the extra weight and bulkiness of the phat. I have both, but I only use my slim.
I thought the Slim could only go as low as 3.60. I could be wrong though.

RayJT9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Originality said:
You're right, my mistake (I just checked wiki). Slim and lite is shipped with 3.60 or above, and can only go as low as that when downgrading. But aside from that, the rest of what I said should be accurate.

As far as I'm aware, even slim/lite PSPs can be downgraded to v1.5, but they require the use of something called a "Pandora Battery."

--Ray

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Nope - slim and lite do not have the 1.5 kernal, meaning that they can't ever run any firmware/homebrew that uses the kernal. Even the CFW releases have a seperate 1.50 kernal addon that they specifically say is only for use with PSP Phat. A quote from wiki:

"A "JigKick Battery" is a battery with the first address in the EEPROM chip changed to 0xFFFFFFFF. This unlocks the service mode of the PSP and launches the IPL from the Memory Stick (instead of from flash0). A "Magic Memory Stick" consists of a reverse-engineered IPL and a minimal subset of the firmware 1.50 stored on a Memory Stick Pro Duo. This downgrader can downgrade all firmware versions. The original version is incompatible with the PSP Slim & Lite due to the 1.50 IPL being incompatible with PSP Slim & Lite hardware. However, on September 28, 2007, a version that works on both the old style PSP and the Slim & Lite was released. The new debricker is called Despertar del Cementerio, and is also known as the Universal Unbricker, which was developed by Dark_Alex. Instead of installing firmware version 1.50, it installs a custom firmware.[9]"

As above, Despertar only installs CFW, not 1.50, because the slim and lite is incompatible.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
True, but the time machine from dark-alex also allows you to use 3.40 OE and a modified version of 1.50 with a pandora battery.

"As far as games, updates and custom firmwares go, there is nothing the slim and lite has that the phat won't have too."
That's not completely true though, cause the phat doesn't have skype, while the slim&lite has.
The Slim&Lite has more RAM and also TV-Out, which the phat doesn't have. Also the phat PSP has IR, while the slim doesn't have that, but they're not gonna do something with that in an update, as then they wouldn't have cut it out on the slim...

D

Deleted User

Slim is lighter but feels plastically and badly-made.
Yeah, updates will come out for the PSP fat. It's like an idea saying that Nintendo will release DS Lite-only games.

I hope they don't.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys are really confusing me with kernels and actual CFW...

So I had 3.71 M... and I upgraded to 3.90.
Which one came out first(or which one is latest). 3.90>?

D

Deleted User

Kamui101 said:
You guys are really confusing me with kernels and actual CFW...

So I had 3.71 M... and I upgraded to 3.90.
Which one came out first(or which one is latest). 3.90>?
Right... Uh, if you had 3.71M33, then you updated using network update or whatever, you'd get 3.90M33-3...
What do you mean which one came out first? Obviously 3.71M33 came out before 3.90M33-3... but that's probably not what you're asking...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
3.90M33-3 is the latest DAX custom firmware, although there is now CFW v3.93, which features the recovery menu available in the XMB, along with various minor tweaks and stuff that came with official 3.93. As of yet, nobody has put their name to the release, but DAX and Team C+D, as well as certain homebrewers, are recognised for their contributions towards it.

General opinion is that it may work fine, but there is no support as DAX doesn't have it on his site, nor does the network update recognise it. People are mostly going to wait until DAX and M33 get their own release up until they think it's safe to upgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4