Hacking Is my PSP semi-bricked, or is it a problem with the backlight?

shiningJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone. Hope I can get some help with my PSP-3000. It has custom firmware 6.60 temporary hack. The last time I used it was on Father's Day, I was playing the original TMNT on NesterJ 1.12 AoEX r3, and then turned it off. I turned it on again today, and the green light turns on, but nothing appears on screen. The orange light turns on sometimes as well.

Holding Triangle while turning it on allows me to hear the PSP when it powers on, as well as connect it to the PC with as USB cable, but I cannot access the recovery menu by holding R when powering on. Could the backlight be damaged then?

I also had the option to charge the PSP when connected to a PC turned on in the recovery menu but not in the PSP settings. I might have fried the backlight or something that way. I also have a number of plugins on my PSP. I can list them if needed so that I can know if they cause problems, but I doubt they would do anything bad.

Best solution then would be to purchase a new backlight? Or do I have to get a new PSP? Especially now that Sony is going to discontinue them. Thanks in advance, GBATemp.

shiningJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have Hold+ installed?

No, looking for information about it right now. I am at work right now so I'll download it when I get home.

Edit: Christ, I'm blind and dumb. My plugins are:
  • categories lite v1.5 (enabled)
  • dayviewer7 for 6XX (enabled)
  • DayViewerForGame v7 (enabled)
  • dlmgr (download manager) (enabled)
  • prxshot-0.4.0 (all three (vsh, game, and pops) disabled)
  • PSPEText v1.1 Fast Scroll Patch (disabled)
  • SimplySaver for 6XX (enabled)
I tried turning it on without the memory stick, removing the battery for a few minutes then back in, and no luck.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just Hold+ can cause problems like what you described if it was accidentally activated before it shut down. If you don't have it, then that's not the problem. What plugins are you running?

shiningJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I can turn it on while holding triangle and do anything with it, including the Fast Recovery to hack the PSP like always. But there is no display which is odd. I can't think of anything that could have caused this. Probably I overcharged the PSP and that might have damaged the backlight?

I am sorry for BUMPing the thread, been busy with work and studies and got sidetracked. I am not sure if it can be fixed, but I am curious to know if something like this might have happened to others. I've also noticed a lot of views so I know people want to help, but don't know enough about the problem. I'll come back with more info when I can.

Thanks again everyone.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no such thing as overcharging. It's possible the display went bad or simply has a bad connection. You can take it apart and make sure it's still tightly connected.

shiningJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll have to see if there's a place here in Puerto Rico where they can fix it, or see a YouTube vid to do it myself. I am going to be busy for awhile, so if I stop posting, instead of BUMPing the thread, I'll PM you with updates. Thanks again.

Edit: Wait. I just confirmed that I don't have to hold down any button. I can turn the PSP on normally. It is a problem with the display then. Let me add that I took screenshots with prxshot using the display button (the one that changes the brightness of the PSP) Maybe that has something to do with it? I'll update when I can.

shiningJackal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks TecXero for your help. The problem was the display, but the person who tried to repair the display damaged the motherboard, so now I have to get a new one or replace the PSP. I think this thread can be locked now then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi