Hacking Is multi card multiplayer possible on flashcarts?

legoinventeor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey everyone.

Recently I got another copy of GTA Chinatown Wars for the DS. I was never able to try out the multiplayer features, so I was really looking forward to doing races against my sister.
I also wanted to see how well the game would work on the TTDS flashcart I got alongside the game. The game works perfectly apart from the multiplayer. Download play works fine but multi-card play doesn't seem to work. I'm trying this with one real game in one system and the flashcart in the other. I also tried this with new super Mario bros, the same way. GTA at least connects and then gives me an error as soon as I do something, but NSMB doesn't even find the other player.
Is there a way to fix this error? Thank you all in advance!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There were some carts that had trouble with this, though I thought it had gone away by the time we got DS slot carts to play with.

Not sure what the ultimate cause of the problem was, or if there was a simple solution like we had for games that had trouble with wifi (in that case it was use an untrimmed ROM or safely trimmed ROM).

Reactions: legoinventeor

legoinventeor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There were some carts that had trouble with this, though I thought it had gone away by the time we got DS slot carts to play with.

Not sure what the ultimate cause of the problem was, or if there was a simple solution like we had for games that had trouble with wifi (in that case it was use an untrimmed ROM or safely trimmed ROM).
Sorry if this might sound as a stupid question, but what makes a ROM trimmed or safely trimmed?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is a perfectly reasonable question.

DS ROMs include a size for how big they are in the header. GBA ROMs do not. Most tools/people doing anything on the early DS also did stuff on the GBA and that includes carrying over the tools for it.
To trim a GBA ROM you start at the end of it and work backwards until you encounter something that is not a 00 or FF and delete everything after that, there are some games that breaks (I think one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games was this) but enough of GBA stuff.
You can do that for DS ROMs too and they will usually run just fine but they had issues with wifi for some reason when you did that. To that end people took to reading the value from the DS ROM's header and trimming after that, possibly leaving a few more bytes still, and in those cases it worked.

I have seen trimmed ROMs out there on the internet but have never investigated what sort of trimming the person used, and to be frank anybody that puts trimmed ROMs out there is probably not someone that knows what they are doing.

Reactions: legoinventeor

legoinventeor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is a perfectly reasonable question.

DS ROMs include a size for how big they are in the header. GBA ROMs do not. Most tools/people doing anything on the early DS also did stuff on the GBA and that includes carrying over the tools for it.
To trim a GBA ROM you start at the end of it and work backwards until you encounter something that is not a 00 or FF and delete everything after that, there are some games that breaks (I think one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games was this) but enough of GBA stuff.
You can do that for DS ROMs too and they will usually run just fine but they had issues with wifi for some reason when you did that. To that end people took to reading the value from the DS ROM's header and trimming after that, possibly leaving a few more bytes still, and in those cases it worked.

I have seen trimmed ROMs out there on the internet but have never investigated what sort of trimming the person used, and to be frank anybody that puts trimmed ROMs out there is probably not someone that knows what they are doing.
Thanks a lot!
I'll try to trim the ROM and see if that works tomorrow.

legoinventeor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It was trimming that caused the problem. If they are untrimmed it will not be the thing causing it.
Oh! I think I get it now.

(Update)
I've tried with a couple more ROMS from different places to see if that fixed the problem. I've also tried with other games. None of them seem to work properly. The problem must be the cart. I'll look into getting another one to see if it fixes the problem.
Could It be the region of the ROM? I didn't think much of that since ds game are region-free.

Last edited by legoinventeor, , Reason: Update on the situation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2