Gaming Is Majora's Mask actually seriously difficult, or am I retarded?

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I started playing it at launch, and only bothered to complete the first three days and obtain the ocarina. I came back to play it today, completely forgot where I was up to, and ended up repeating a whole bunch of tasks. I feel like the games gives almost zero guidance on what to do. The clues provided are incredibly vague and are of no help. I have to follow a walkthrough for most of the game, and that takes the fun out of it.

So am I retarded, or has this been the experience for you guys too?

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
It is difficult,indeed. I have played a lot of zelda and I found MM to be one of the most challenging Zelda games.

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Majora's mask was my second finished Zelda game. I haven't expected extremely difficulties. Some thing are a bit challenging like (like protect the ranch at night) but not extremely hard.
I don't call you a retard but the game isn't much difficult as ocarina of time. I cleared the game when I was a child :)
And even now on my 3DS I still haven't experienced serious difficulties.

You probably don't read what the people in game said well. If you encounter Skull Kid for the first time at the clock tower,
The purple fairy literal say you what to do and even in THE EXACT ORDER. "Swamp, Mountain, ocean Canyon"
That are the four districts, North,South,West and East of ClockTown.

After beating a dungeon and going back to day 1, Tatl will tell you were to go, so there IS GUIDANCE.
And if you cleared a quest for the first time, it isn't mostly necessary to do it again.

The most difficult thing in this game is the time. For the rest the difficulty is just like OOT.
Sometimes, I like it how 'Modern' Zelda gamers complain about the older Zelda games :)

Beginner tips:
- Play the song of time reversed to let the time go slower
- Play a dungeon until you found an item, then go back to day 1 and do it again. With the new item you can skip a lot and save you some time.

Last edited by JordenNixNix,

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Majora's mask was my second finished Zelda game. I haven't expected extremely difficulties. Some thing are a bit challenging like (like protect the ranch at night) but not extremely hard.
I don't call you a retard but the game isn't much difficult as ocarina of time. I cleared the game when I was a child :)
And even now on my 3DS I still haven't experienced serious difficulties.

You probably don't read what the people in game said well. If you encounter Skull Kid for the first time at the clock tower,
The purple fairy literal say you what to do and even in THE EXACT ORDER. "Swamp, Mountain, ocean Canyon"
That are the four districts, North,South,West and East of ClockTown.

After beating a dungeon and going back to day 1, Tatl will tell you were to go, so there IS GUIDANCE.
And if you cleared a quest for the first time, it isn't mostly necessary to do it again.

The most difficult thing in this game is the time. For the rest the difficulty is just like OOT.
Sometimes, I like it how 'Modern' Zelda gamers complain about the older Zelda games :)

Beginner tips:
- Play the song of time reversed to let the time go slower
- Play a dungeon until you found an item, then go back to day 1 and do it again. With the new item you can skip a lot and save you some time.

Well. You're right about boss fights. But that's not what is zelda is about. It's about riddles and and collecting every single item, fairy...,etc. That's challenging in my opinion. But yeah. Not as much as Ocarina of Time.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, Not really hard just timed.
You basically got 3 days to complete each temple. then you start another 3 days and do the next.
Once you get into it there will be some short cuts and things that will make those 3 days a bit more for filling.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember it being especially difficult the first time I played, except for the ocean temple (not sure if I have the name right). I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but how could getting the Ocarina take you 3 days? Did you just have a really hard time finding all the Bombers?

The 3DS version is actually MUCH easier. The Bomber's Guide is invaluable, and in the 3DS version you get it right away (you have to do the Bomber's quest as a Hylian in the original). The biggest tip I can give you (other than the Double/Inverse Song of Time) is to talk to every character every day (not repeatedly). You won't necessarily get anything from them, but lots of the main characters have an Bomber entry on more than one occasion.

mary1517

Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
Well, it's hard to tell if you played the game many times before the 3ds remake, but I don't recall having that much of a problem with this game, slightly more then with Ocarina I guess. When I first played it I didn't have Internet or guides and I still beat the game. The only thing I guess is tidies is the mask collecting. You have to waste so much time to get them all it hurts. I tend to ignore them most of the time, I just want to play the game and dungeons...

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't remember it being especially difficult the first time I played, except for the ocean temple (not sure if I have the name right). I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but how could getting the Ocarina take you 3 days? Did you just have a really hard time finding all the Bombers?

The guide I was following told me I need to skip ahead to 12am of the final night in order to get into the clock tower, so I skipped ahead a lot. Maybe I really just need to pay more attention to what the characters are telling me.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The guide I was following told me I need to skip ahead to 12am of the final night in order to get into the clock tower, so I skipped ahead a lot. Maybe I really just need to pay more attention to what the characters are telling me.
At the very least, you have to get magic first.

To add to what I said earlier about talking to people, make sure you regularly speak to the Bombers. They give you lots of info.

Well, it's hard to tell if you played the game many times before the 3ds remake, but I don't recall having that much of a problem with this game, slightly more then with Ocarina I guess. When I first played it I didn't have Internet or guides and I still beat the game. The only thing I guess is tidies is the mask collecting. You have to waste so much time to get them all it hurts. I tend to ignore them most of the time, I just want to play the game and dungeons...
Lol, remember trying to get the Couple's Mask on the original? If you messed up on the last part (the "obstacle course" thing), you had to start over completely from scratch, because you couldn't save part way through the game like on the 3DS version.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I finished it on N64 when i was 10, not THAT hard, but it's a very challenging game, like they where back in the days ^^
I bet people will say the same thing about current games in 15 years. Games are getting a lot easier. Compare NES games to N64 games, and N64 games to Wii U games.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh I think this is a game that came out in the PRIME of physical game guides. There was a time where instead of DLC or premium content for pre-ordering, they were hyping these books. It's kinda a fuck you to the people who don't have the strategy guide, that's my inference. Now a days, games don't let you flounder, there's a usually a waypoint marker on your hud at all times or the equivalent to keep the player from being confused, and you don't see as many physical guide books.

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you can speed run a game in about an hour without any cheats, you know it's easy, lol.

True, but that's not really fair to say considering the speedrun route goes out of order and plays the game in a way which was otherwise intended.. Bomb hovering over barriers, clipping through walls.. not how the game was meant to be played. Watch a glitchless run, it still takes a while.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I bet people will say the same thing about current games in 15 years. Games are getting a lot easier. Compare NES games to N64 games, and N64 games to Wii U games.
Not that true, ALTTP was a lot easier than MM, SMB was easier than SM3DL, Mario kart 8 is a f*ckin hell harder than every other mario kart games imo too,
I think that the games who deserve a real challenge don't have it anymore, devs aim for a too large audience, good thing for the video game industry and the scene in general, but they should include some harder levels of the game too.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easily forgotten about, but the bombers notebook is really helpful in your type of situation where you forget what you have and have not done yet since it keeps a record of every major and minor quest in the game.

bache

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, it turns out I was just being really stupid. I spent the day starting the game from scratch and reading better, and things do seem to flow far better.
I've just completed the Woodfall Temple, and gotten the mask from the Deku Shrine. I assume now I'm supposed to play the Song of Time, and start from day 1 on the mountain portion, correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30