Is it safe to swap batteries from a Markio switch to a hwfly switch OLED?

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been making some posts about this, but basically the battery on my switch OLED is screwed up, it doesn't charge all the way, dies around the 60% mark and has desync. I've confirmed that all the fuel gauges aren't the issue. So I'm considering swapping the battery from my working SX Core Markio to my Switch OLED, which has a HWFLY of some sort in it...Is this safe? I've been asking around on the Nintendo Homebrew discord and apparently some people have had some issues with battery replacements in general.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is your fuel guage chip, max17050 ic chip, fuel regulator and controls the charging level of the battery, so if you have a fuel guage problem it would explain why it go to 96%, instead of 100%.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
My guess is your fuel guage chip, max17050 ic chip, fuel regulator and controls the charging level of the battery, so if you have a fuel guage problem it would explain why it go to 96%, instead of 100%.
And if I may ask, how do I repair that...? Does it involve soldering? Also, can I still test to see if swapping the battery works? On Nintendo Homebrew I was told my hekate fuel gauge values were just fine.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if I may ask, how do I repair that...? Does it involve soldering? Also, can I still test to see if swapping the battery works? On Nintendo Homebrew I was told my hekate fuel gauge values were just fine.

It involve soldering, you putting a new battery won't solve it if the chip responsible for reporting battery value are faulty.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
It involve soldering, you putting a new battery won't solve it if the chip responsible for reporting battery value are faulty.
Alright, thanks. I'll test the battery swap just to humor myself if it's safe and then if that doesn't work I'll start looking around for capable technicians... I'm very bad at microsoldering.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
One thing I want to asks you, did you left your OLED plugged in all the time?
It was docked whenever I wasn't using it... So yeah, also I found someone able to troubleshoot the board in Vancouver, and can repair the fuel gauge if that ends up being the issue.

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was docked whenever I wasn't using it... So yeah, also I found someone able to troubleshoot the board in Vancouver, and can repair the fuel gauge if that ends up being the issue.

That kinda make sense why it doesn't show the battery correctly, atleast that how it is for laptop when you got a laptop battery stuck at certain percent you need to let it discharge, then charge it again.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
So I sent it to get fixed and this wasn't the case. what else could it be?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I sent it to get fixed and this wasn't the case. what else could it be?

Maybe the battery, It might have to do with it being plug in all the time if you did had it plug in all the time, for electronic the battery need to be unplug and charge and not plug in all the time, it is commonly an issue with laptop battery.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the battery, It might have to do with it being plug in all the time if you did had it plug in all the time, for electronic the battery need to be unplug and charge and not plug in all the time, it is commonly an issue with laptop battery.
Alright, going to ask the guy to test swapping the battery when he can.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, going to ask the guy to test that when he can.

Im surprise that it doesn't charge back to 100% even after you let it cycle, laptop battery recalibrate when you using it unplug then charge backup, in my case I never really leave anything with battery plug in all the time though, even for my OLED, I always pretty much play in handheld mode, so the battery is constantly discharging and recharged when Im done.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Im surprise that it doesn't charge back to 100% even after you let it cycle, laptop battery recalibrate when you using it unplug then charge backup, in my case I never really leave anything with battery plug in all the time though, even for my OLED, I always pretty much play in handheld mode, so the battery is constantly discharging and recharged when Im done.
Alright so not even changing the battery worked apparently. To be quite honest I'm really worried now...

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Buy one battery from amazon and test out yourself without fitting into the battery slot, just hanging around.
I don't really see much issue saying cant go 100% charge or any actual battery issue by far.
Most cases are fuel guage max17050 related or just as simple as battery hasn't been discharge/ been plugged in all time(few cycles discharge and charge up solved).
BTW swapping the battery from any V1 or v2 NS is safe, they are same design and same 5pin connection layout.

LET me know if you need any help, IM in GTA area, ONtario

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Buy one battery from amazon and test out yourself without fitting into the battery slot, just hanging around.
I don't really see much issue saying cant go 100% charge or any actual battery issue by far.
Most cases are fuel guage max17050 related or just as simple as battery hasn't been discharge/ been plugged in all time(few cycles discharge and charge up solved).
BTW swapping the battery from any V1 or v2 NS is safe, they are same design and same 5pin connection layout.

LET me know if you need any help, IM in GTA area, ONtario

I've already had the person I sent it to swap the max17050, and nothing changed. He also tried swapping the battery and nothing changed...I'll maybe ask him to try charging it for a few cycles but I'm really starting to lose motivation... and yeah, maybe when I have more money (won't be for a while since this guy is charging like 200$) I'll send it to you as I live not too far from GTA.
Post automatically merged:

Also with the new battery would it be worth asking him to use that battery desync fix tool that ctcater made again?

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,
  • Wow
Reactions: jkyoho

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've already had the person I sent it to swap the max17050, and nothing changed. He also tried swapping the battery and nothing changed...I'll maybe ask him to try charging it for a few cycles but I'm really starting to lose motivation... and yeah, maybe when I have more money (won't be for a while since this guy is charging like 200$) I'll send it to you as I live not too far from GTA.
Post automatically merged:

Also with the new battery would it be worth asking him to use that battery desync fix tool that ctcater made again?
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/commit/52506def30d2ea18ce4ccad3546567fa082cfc2f
I believe its been merged into latest hekate, and this is just a Hekate software thing, nothing really to do with the actual usage of your battery or batterylife.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag