Hacking Hardware Homebrew Is it possible to use a japanese gamepad on a european Wii U even with the PAL/NTSC difference?

Gabryx86_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to use a japanese gamepad on a european Wii U even with the PAL/NTSC difference?
I can borrow a gamepad from one of my friends to homebrew my console and the cheapes gamepad i can find is japanese.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
GamePads are region locked for some dumb reason.

You can, however, pair one using homebrew (UDPIH Recovery Menu or System Config Tool) and it will work just fine. You don't need the GamePad to run or operate UDPIH, so perhaps that'd do the trick.

Gabryx86_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

You can, however, pair one using homebrew (UDPIH Recovery Menu or System Config Tool) and it will work just fine. You don't need the GamePad to run or operate UDPIH, so perhaps that'd do the trick.
Yeah, I know that, but I was asking because japan uses NTSC and europe uses PAL. I do not know if the screen is the same for both regions or it follows the main screens, thus I asked.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
The PAL/NTSC differences don't matter for the gamepad screen. PAL/NTSC distinction only really matters for analog video and only old/cheap devices at that.

Reactions: Gabryx86_64

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People need to stop referring to everything European as PAL and everything North American/Japanese as NTSC.

Those destinctions specifically refer to the television standards used in those regions prior to HD formats.

Handheld systems/devices have NEVER been PAL or NTSC because they have their own LCD/LED/OLED displays that aren't locked to a refresh rate based off of a regions mains power voltage... it really grinds my gears to hear the supposed gameguru's of YouTube refer to a European Gameboy game as PAL. :teach:

sn00keroo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I am trying to pair a jpn gamepad to a US console, and I dont have a raspberry pi pico, so I think that system config tool would be best for me. Yet, i cannot seem to find that software, so i am at a loss. If you have any ideas on how I could pair things up, I would greatly appreciate it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@sn00keroo We're not allowed to link SCT as this is piracy (it's a development tool by Nintendo, normally you have to sign an NDA to get access to it. All other soures are, well, piracy and that's the reason you can't find it here on the forums) but is it really that hard to google for "system config tool wii u" ? Also stop asking the same question at different threads, please.
Lastly what linuxares said: Aromas DRC region free plugin is way more save than SCT (again: SCT is a development tool. It can brick your console with ease if you use the wrong setting without knowing what you're doing).

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Couple of questions:
1) Are there any disadvantages of using JP gamepad on EU console? (i.e. Something not working properly?)
2) Is there anything similar to DRC region free plugin for Tiramisu as well that allows using JP gamepad on EU console?

EDIT: In case that anyone else is curious about the same thing, I got a reply from V10lator.

1) Other than TV remote and pairing screen on Wii U gamepad being in Japanese, there are no other disadvantages. Apparently, even that can be changed as well.
2) Aroma plugin is only ever necessary to pair the gamepad with the console for the first time. After that, one can switch to Tiramisu and the gamepad will work just fine. Region check was pretty much implemented only into the pairing process.

Last edited by Blythe93,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work