Homebrew Is it possible to improve Gamecube games on Wii?

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do note that early Wii models have inferior component out than GC.
Is there any real conclusive evidence of this? I've heard it before but I don't get it. Old Wiis have the exact same DACs as new ones and I thought the only difference between the GPUs of old and new Wiis is the die-shrinking.

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any real conclusive evidence of this? I've heard it before but I don't get it. Old Wiis have the exact same DACs as new ones and I thought the only difference between the GPUs of old and new Wiis is the die-shrinking.
Wii Components cables are very slightly inferior to Gamecube ones. I'm talking about a difference in quality so tiny that only machines, and MAYBE the most hardcore of hardcore videophiles will ever see any difference.

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Components cables are very slightly inferior to Gamecube ones. I'm talking about a difference in quality so tiny that only machines, and MAYBE the most hardcore of hardcore videophiles will ever see any difference.
I know GameCube component has differences from Wii component. I'm talking about differences between Wii hardware revisions.

HeavyMetalLoser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know GameCube component has differences from Wii component. I'm talking about differences between Wii hardware revisions.
As far as I know all versions of the Wii and Wii U have identical video quality, at least as far as internal hardware goes. The Wii Mini has the worst quality because it's composite only, while the Wii U might have slightly better quality because it can use HDMI.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

For Wii vs. GC: https://socksfelloff.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/gamecube-vs-nintendont-vs-wii/

Unfortunately the Wii model tested wasn't listed...

However, this post makes the claim that later Wiis have better outputs (and the second post in the thread on page 1 proves the weaker signal compared to GC via oscilloscope but again, fails to list the model). Unfortunately, I haven't come across any comparisons between Wii models. But that post lists some other benefits from the later revision Wiis such as lower power consumption and lower heat generation (more info in the source linked at the end of that post). And of course, the graphics card failure of launch model Wiis is fairly well-known, I believe.

Reactions: JacksonS

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
For me personally, the best I've seen GC games (other than emulated @ higher int res) is Nintendont on Wii U with HDMI. Might wanna try that if you have a Wii U or can get a cheap one.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to the GameCube I do PC emulation, but some games can be system pushers in that respect... Most of the Starwars games seem to be difficult to emulate perfectly. But most of the other games I have played seem far less demanding even running flawlessly on a AMD 6 core system I have as a media center. (10GB's of DDR3 and a 1050 Ti so nothing extreme)

If your looking for like 1080P or beyond GC games this is probably the best way to do it.

Download Dolphin and put your games in and off you go :)

An older video I made playing some Super Mario Sunshine on Dolpin, it plays so nice :)

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Actually, the cables aren't exactly comparable. The GC component cable plugs into the digital out port, which does not output a component signal. There's a special chip in the cable that converts the signal to component. That's why you don't see third party GC component cables.

However, recently someone created a device that you can plug into that digital out port that you can plug an HDMI cable into. Converting the digital out signal into the standardized format. Though earlier versions of the device could be wiggled around in the port slightly, which could lead to the complete death of the console. I believe that issue has been resolved with a later revision, however.

Would be nice if one day, a similar device could be created so one could simply hook up three RCA lines for component (or even RGB) out. Would have to include some kind of conversion chip, of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...