Hacking Is it possible to change the speed?

neoncelery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, so I was wondering is there any Homebrew or something that lets me change the speed on the ps3 especially in games. No I'm not talking about software or hardware capabilities like a faster CPU nonono I mean like a fast forward button that just makes time in game past faster because recently I've been doing some auto grinding in this game and I want it to go by fast. If any of you guys have ever played a ds game on the drastic emulator y'all would know that there's a fast forward button that makes everything going on, on screen go by like 5× faster than actual speed, so is this possible on the ps3? Or on ps2 games on the ps3?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is possible but it would have to be on a game by game basis. I can't see an option for a plugin to universally increase render speed or play speed being an option here, mainly as it is only an option on some other devices in very specific conditions and usually come with a list of serious asterisks 30 pages long.

Same ideas as on the GBA, DS and whatever else we normally see that question asked for around here.
1) You hack the game to speed up the text. Various approaches here ranging from seeing if you can abuse any in game options (fastest may not be the fastest the game allows, if it will allow you to skip if replaying a section then see if you can flip the bit in memory that says this is a repeat) to actual hacks.
2) You hack the game to speed up the animations, or maybe skip them entirely.
3) If there is some kind of internal render counter you might mess with that, however that can be tricky and lead to all sorts of fallout.
4) Any cheats that speed things up you can also add here -- some games might assign running to an item, while you said you are power levelling that means probably don't want to skip battles but if you want to skip weak battles then that is a thing. Whether you go fully into cheating here is up to you.

Some things can be reasonably entry level hacking but most of that is on the more advanced side. You will also be messing more with 3d animations, which in some ways can be easier and in others harder. Battle animations and walking animations (a lot of animations will be things like for 3 frames do this and move this far, repeat until 30 pixels have been moved and then stop, change this to 6 pixels and you get something like double the speed, change it to 30 and it might be essentially instant. Can have some odd effects in some games with regards to things like random battles and phasing through doors or animation triggers but they tend to be found out soon enough).

This is all quite annoying to do on systems we have nice debuggers and emulators for, for the PS3 this gets even more fun. Far from impossible but there is a reason you tend not to see such things done.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1