Emulation How to shrink a 4 GB ps2 iso, making it FAT32 compatible (for Android)?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello to all of you, kind viewers. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section, but this is the most relevant to my topic.
So I would like to play a ps2 game on Android using DamonPS2 (infamous deprecated emulator, 2018 version, cracked, playable offline), since AetherSX2 doesn't work on my device, and the game ISO exceeds 4 GB in size and so incompatible with FAT32, hence not copyable to the micro-SD (my phone doesn't support other filesystem, and the internal memory is already full).
Also, DamonPS2, unlike AetherSX2, does not support czo and chd compressed formats.

I would like to know specifically if this game (SRW OGs) can be shrunk in any way by deleting unnecessary files (usually movies).
In general I know that you can lower the quality of the movies with some software, or replace them all with the smallest one (obviously respecting the toc/lba of the ISO), but in this case the movies are contained in a pss.bin file, which I don't know how to open. Do you guys have any ideas?
Does anyone have a suggestion of some other method to shrink this ISO somehow, to make it smaller than 4 GB (therefore compatible with FAT32 on micro-SD)? Possibly post some links of the necessary tools, assuming they exist.
Have I made myself clear?
Thank you all, esteemed fellow gamers. 😉

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't some people used to use USB Util for this? Recall reading about this some time ago.
Yeah for OPL on an actual PS2. I am not aware of that method working on any emulator but I could be wrong.

Pretty sure there isn't any other shrinking methods so OP you could google usbutil and try it all I know to tell you. But just so you know it does not actually reduce the size of the game at all, it just makes multiple files so a game that is over 4 gb can fit on FAT32. I'm thinking the emulator won't be able to read that method though but again you could try.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Didn't some people used to use USB Util for this? Recall reading about this some time ago.
Correct. This very tool is used to locate the movies in the iso and:
1) Lower their quality to make them smaller;
2) Or replace all the movies with the smaller one.
But in this case, being contained in an encrypted .bin file, they are not detectable by the tool.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. This very tool is used to locate the movies in the iso and:
1) Lower their quality to make them smaller;
2) Or replace all the movies with the smaller one.
But in this case, being contained in an encrypted .bin file, they are not detectable by the tool.

Actually usbutil doesn't actually shrink the file size at all, instead it makes multiple files so it can fit for using a FAT32 HDD on an actual PS2 with OPL (Open Loader) I'm not sure any emulator can even read these files but you could try.

Edit: It's been a long time maybe it does actually shrink the overall file size, I haven't used it in maybe 7 or 8 years.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not sure any emulator can even read these files but you could try.
Nah, absolutely not. I already specified that this emulator DamonPS2 only reads isos, while AetherSX2 also reads cso and chd.
Post automatically merged:

Can you attach a USB drive via OTG?
Yeah, I think so, but I don't think the emulator detects its presence: I have to try. But It's uncomfortable for me to play like this, though; I'd have to keep it resting on the table, and motionless. 😩

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you try Play! Ps2 emulator?

Maybe that’s more compatible?

I have no clue about it on android but I used it on windows for Namco 256.

I’m clutching at straws here but I think the file system is going to destroy any hopes you have of achieving your goals.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you try Play! Ps2 emulator?
Already tried. Too slow and jerky.

I think the file system is going to destroy any hopes you have of achieving your goals.
Just what I fear. Chief, in the future I plan to buy a high-end snapdragon 800 series tablet, so I can use AetherSX2, which is compatible with compressed game formats.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto