Is it ok to ask a dying relative to haunt you?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had a thought the other night:

I have a relative who's prognosis is REALLY not good at all: just had a stroke, got cancer, possible TB, etc.. so I was thinking (and probably grieving) would it be ok to ask them that when they do pass away, they could muster some "energy" and do something, to prove the existance of the "other side"?

You hear stories of people smelling cigar smoke or the perfume they recognise of a loved one, or a message from beyond.....and I just dont get it. I actually know people who are spiritualists and have had (and I quote here) "strangulation experiences" through "contacting spirits"... I just can't believe them. It sounds crazy.

I'm a huge sceptic. I uber analyse every "ghost hunting" show I've ever seen and I'm not convinced eitherway.

I have always wanted to, but never have experienced anything, but my Dad and Grandad (RIP) both have, and it weirds me out that they both neither believe in ghost/spirits but they both could relate to weird experiences they had and could rationalize only as something they could not explain.

I don't believe in religion, or god (but I know my relative does), and I have absolutely no idea about reincarnation or the afterlife ... this is a weird one hey!

I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone can sway me one way or another. I think I just need personal proof, and what better way!?

If I did ask, and nothing happened, would that mean there are no such things, or would it conversely mean that she was a good christian and has passed on? ... *sigh*

Any thoughts/feelings appreciated!

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
If your relative is okay with dying and has comes to terms with it, sure go ask.

I agree with this.

I don't wanna get too personal, but who is this relative to you? Is it someone very close?
I ask because, well... you may wanna be careful what you wish for.
I say this from experiences with Ouija boards with my friends.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your relative has a really good sense of humor (like most of my relatives), it is okay to ask. It might cheer him or her up.

However, if your motives are just to prove/disprove the existence of ghosts, don't bother. Scientifically speaking anyway, there is not a shred of evidence supporting the existence of ghosts. Believe what you want, but don't expect your relative to actually haunt you.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This completely depends on their sense of humor and/or mischief.
For instance I have a very good friend who is dying. He swears that if there is some way to let people know he's still around, he'll do it. But then again he likes messing with people's heads.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I frankly wouldn't. It's against my personal moral code to ask anything else of a dying person aside from wishing them peace wherever they may end up.

However, I think such an attempt has been done, though I hadn't looked into it. I think it was Houdini, actually. Let me try to dig it up...

QUOTE said:
Before Houdini died, he and his wife, Bess, agreed that if Houdini's spirit came back to earth, he would utter "Rosabelle believe" as a secret codeword to prove that it was actually him. This was a phrase from a play that Bess performed in when the couple first met. Bess held yearly séances on Halloween for ten years after Houdini's death, but Houdini's spirit never appeared. In 1936, after a last unsuccessful séance on the roof of the Knickerbocker Hotel, she put out the candle that she had kept burning beside a photograph of Houdini since his death, later saying in 1943 that "ten years is long enough to wait for any man." The tradition of holding a séance for Houdini continues by magicians throughout the world to this day; the Official Houdini Séance is currently organized by Sidney Hollis Radner, a Houdini aficionado from upstate New York.[40] Yearly Houdini Séances are also conducted in Chicago at the Excaliber nightclub by "necromancer" Neil Tobin on behalf of the Chicago Assembly of the Society of American Magicians;[41] and at the Houdini Museum in Scranton by magician Dorothy Dietrich who previously held them at New York's famous Magic Towne House with such magical notables as Houdini biographers Walter B. Gibson and Milbourne Christopher. Gibson was asked by Bess Houdini to carry on the tradition. Before he died, Walter passed on the tradition to Dorothy Dietrich.

Link is here. 3rd paragraph.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's the point? The spirit is supposed to go either up or down, asking for someone's spirit to stay in Limbo is stupid, regardless whether or not someone believes in ghosts or supernatural occourances.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dickfour said:
If I was dying and someone asked me that I'd tell them to fuck off.

Actually, if somebody asked me that, I'd do better. I'd take them with me so they can find out first-hand if they can become a ghost. Hey, I'm just helping, no need to thank me.
evil.gif

Marlonguppy

Trophies
Website
artoftrolling.memebase.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Foxi4 said:
What's the point? The spirit is supposed to go either up or down, asking for someone's spirit to stay in Limbo is stupid, regardless whether or not someone believes in ghosts or supernatural occourances.
I had a laugh there.
Ghost do not exist, simple as that. Or this world was already blown to hell :')

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Marlonguppy said:
Foxi4 said:
I had a laugh there.
Everybody believes what they want to believe. I'm not forcing my beliefs down anyone's throat, no need to shove yours. You don't have proof that ghosts don't exist, neither do I that they do, so it's a spanish mate situation.

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Foxi4 said:
Marlonguppy said:
Foxi4 said:
I had a laugh there.
Everybody believes what they want to believe. I'm not forcing my beliefs down anyone's throat, no need to shove yours. You don't have proof that ghosts don't exist, neither do I that they do, so it's a spanish mate situation.
Neither did anyone prove that the spaghetti-monster exists. So it's reasonable to belief it exists?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
laurenz said:
Foxi4 said:
Marlonguppy said:
Foxi4 said:
I had a laugh there.
Neither did anyone prove that the spaghetti-monster exists. So it's reasonable to belief it exists?
Faith and Reasonable are not drinking buddies. If you want to believe in a spaghetti moster, you are free to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land