Hacking Emulation Gaming Is it morally correct to pirate games that cannot be obtained officially from the company that made/published them?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
We should be allowed to get games through other means from companies that don't want to have a catalogue of their olde products. Nuff said. And we should have emulators that have their own programming to translate their older software to play said older games.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As for instance in case of Sonic CD you had that weird looking masks within some kind of text written in japanese language. Probably as anti-piracy measures as I heard.

Blakeskits

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for instance in case of Sonic CD you had that weird looking masks within some kind of text written in japanese language. Probably as anti-piracy measures as I heard.
Sonic CD specifically has a lot of weird debug screens left in by the devs. It's not too likely that these were made for anti-piracy due to the relatively energetic nature of the JP boss theme compared to the US one. Although the sega CD could run any burned disk, no one had a DVD burner until a couple years went by, technology progressed, and by then, no one even cared for the CD

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
YouTube video related to Rayman 2 anti-piracy measures screen of robo-pirate face was actually considered as not off-topic. It was rather considered as on-topic.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How come I can buy a movie from the 1920s or a peice of music from a similar era in modern format but I can't buy a game from the 1980s for instance!

Why is there no universal legacy market for games of bygone eras? Probably most are gone and the 'vc' approach is all we got??

More should be done about that from all parties because the game scene is suffering at the moment, this obviously in turn will affect the quality of games moving forward so rather than waste time and money into future projects (not stopping ofcourse) but take some time to give the game market what it deserves and possibly get some re inspiration from revisiting old dreams and possibly lost titles that could even become a better game in reality today. Just a thought, as the old saying goes... Make it legal, the fun and thrill of obtaining 'illegally' disappears. Current gen piracy would be another story tho!

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Why is there no universal legacy market for games of bygone eras? Probably most are gone and the 'vc' approach is all we got??
I've had the same thought. If these corporations would open their mind to emulation a bit, they could make a killing by selling ROMs, for example. Nintendo specifically already targets ROM sharing sites, but does nothing to fill the void it creates. Emulation is mainstream enough that a ROM-selling or rental (ew) service would probably do extremely well. Maybe not targeting things like the Switch, of course, but for the retro libraries.

SEGA has kind of done this in a few ways over the years, including via game collections that are user-exposed ROM files and an emulator+frontend (see: SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics, for example).

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: Quore and Lostbhoy

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  • Wow
Reactions: Quore

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I went with not moral, but it's really 'mostly no'.
That is: if you buy it, I see it as morally acceptable if you pirate it for other platforms or emulate it. I don't think it's fair to expect companies/developers to port their games to every platform or maintain it forever. If you buy it, it's yours (imho).

Piracy isn't stealing to me since it's making copies. But even so: the moral right thing to do is meet what the devs want, providing it's reasonable. If they sell it for platform X, buy it for X (even if you play it on Y). If they choose not to sell it anymore and don't label it abandonware, that's also a choice. We have to be reason able as well: do we REALLY want this game, or are we looking to get something for free?

A few caveats:
1. I'm taking morally here, not legal
2.abandonware is a huge Grey area since it often has to be agreed on by everyone, and studio's might not be around for that.
3.yes, I pirate. I have my reasons, but pretending it's a morally correct thing isn't among those reasons
4. Lots of yes votes, but... Sorry, but there's remarkably poor reasoning in the replies.

Reactions: Kwyjor and Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol