Hacking Question Is downgrading possible?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full access to the system will be possible only if you're under certain firmware. I think that's good enough.
Full access to the system is possible under RCM regardless of one's system version. Any exploits inherent to a low system version require that the console can boot into that system version without RCM, so downgrading is entirely useless.

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Full access to the system is possible under RCM regardless of one's system version. Any exploits inherent to a low system version require that the console can boot into that system version without RCM, so downgrading is entirely useless.
In particular, I'm talking about what @SciresM mentions in this post:
cVuMVe0.png

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full access to the system will be possible only if you're under certain firmware. I think that's good enough.

It seems that there is a bit of confusion. To clarify, in order for you to disable fuse checks, you would need full access/privileges to do so. And if you have full access/privileges, there is no purpose to downgrade except for research purposes.

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems that there is a bit of confusion. To clarify, in order for you to disable fuse checks, you would need full access/privileges to do so. And if you have full access/privileges, there is no purpose to downgrade except for research purposes.
I'm lost. Then why are we recommend to stay on 4.10 max?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In particular, I'm talking about what @SciresM mentions in this post:
View attachment 124814
The software exploits on lower system versions mentioned in that post require a functional OFW that can boot on its own and hasn't been downgraded.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm lost. Then why are we recommend to stay on 4.10 max?
If you don't want to use a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload, you need to be on a lower system version to launch CFW from something like the web browser. In the future, lower system versions might even get an untethered coldboot exploit. Downgrading is pointless, because you would have to use a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload to get into your Switch each time you turn it on after the downgrade.

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't want to use a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload, you need to be on a lower system version to launch CFW from something like the web browser. In the future, lower system versions might even get an untethered coldboot exploit. Downgrading is pointless, because you would have to use a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload to get into your Switch each time you turn it on after the downgrade.

Ok, and I promise now I go to sleep: so if we downgrade, and then we avoid the fuse checking g, then the coolbot would be factible?

I think I will re-read all this tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, and I promise now I go to sleep: so if we downgrade, and then we avoid the fuse checking g, then the coolbot would be factible?

I think I will re-read all this tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!
If you downgrade to 4.1.0, you will be unable to use your Switch without a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload. Because of this, you will get no benefit from the downgrade. None of your 4.1.0 exploits will work without first using RCM to load your Switch OS. There is no way around it.

Do you understand now why downgrades are entirely pointless?

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you downgrade to 4.1.0, you will be unable to use your Switch without a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload. Because of this, you will get no benefit from the downgrade. None of your 4.1.0 exploits will work without first using RCM to load your Switch OS. There is no way around it.

Do you understand now why downgrades are entirely pointless?

Ok. So the reason for using a jig/autoRCM in a downgraded 4.10 is because it checks the fuses. As we can't disable that check, we need the jig or autoRCM. We can't disable that yet, so it's pointless doing any downgrade... Right?

Sorry guys, my confusion was why it was not possible boot once, disable fuse check, so no more cable was needed. I forgot it's something that can't be done yet.

I think I will call it a day, guys. Thanks for being so patient explaining this. ^^ Tomorrow I will respond read everything and I will feel ashamed of not understanding this with the first explanation. :wtf:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So the reason for using a jig/autoRCM in a downgraded 4.10 is because it checks the fuses. As we can't disable that check, we need the jig or autoRCM. We can't disable that yet, so it's pointless doing any downgrade... Right?

Sorry guys, my confusion was why it was not possible boot once, disable fuse check, so no more cable was needed. I forgot it's something that can't be done yet.

I think I will call it a day, guys. Thanks for being so patient explaining this. ^^ Tomorrow I will respond read everything and I will feel ashamed of not understanding this with the first explanation. :wtf:
It will probably never be possible to disable the efuse check without using a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload every single time you turn the Switch on, so downgrades are pointless.

Reactions: realjumy

realjumy

Woooosh!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It will probably never be possible to disable the efuse check without using a jig/AutoRCM and a USB-C payload every single time you turn the Switch on, so downgrades are pointless.
Ok, now I got it. And it's something you already mentioned earlier. Sorry, I really feel knacked right now.

Reactions: TheLemonLord
D

Deletedmember448668

Is there no way to factory reset your switch to it's original firmware?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I went to the drive thru lady hands me me receipt go up to the 2nd window same lady hands me my...