ROM Hack Is anyone working on a Rune Factory 4 undub?

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, ill look into the entry thing.

The difficulty in figuring out the max length lies not in changing text, but for example the regular dialogue remember fit less than the cap on the actual game screen. If the game for example, crashed if text went offscreen then it wouldve been impossible to do what i did to put 110 characters in one line to see it get cut on the second. Line options will probably not recognize or crash on a carriage return, and if the text goes offscreen before getting cut, ill never know the size.

Mmm, i started the game and the characters sound fine but i guess its a matter of taste. i dont know about the english rom but ventus is female, and its actually named Seruza - venti, Seruzau~ido ventuswil. you can catch it in the voices sometimes. venti is pretty loose with the dialogue when not being ceremonial. i guess a lot is lost in translation but by the choice of dialect it seems they went for two extremes. (though still uses the kingly umu)

I have a pretty huge microsd, and a not so huge sd. which is mainly why ive stuck with the microsd. ill look into the cia making PM after food and whatnot but keep in mind it takes me over 8 hrs to upload so id do it overnight when it doesnt hinder the other things im doing. pray the power doesnt go out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're right about the entryboard file.. odd I coudlve sworn i overwrote it with the english one...

edit:

ohhhh thats the thing, theres NO english one. I have no idea how the english rom is doing it cause theres no file for it. doesnt matter for us because were using the japanese rom though. ill modify this for when I make the cia

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give CIAs a try. I ended up putting a really tiny MicroSD card in my Gateway just for use for emergency stuff (namely to install the installers internally, but I threw in a dump of my Cubic Ninja so I can do Ninjhax through it in a pinch) and I put the large card I had in my system itself instead. Both were MicroSD, I just put my bigger MicroSDXC card in my system directly inside a MicroSD-to-SD adapter. The only thing to watch out for is Nintendo is too cheap to support exFAT in the 3DS system so if you get a card larger than 32GB (eg SDXC) you have to manually format it via specialized tools to FAT32 instead of the official standard of exFAT which MS's own format and the official SD format tool will insist upon using. Also, I think someone said it doesn't like anything larger than 99GB so if you have a larger card you have to use a smaller partition. (I'm not even remotely close to filling up my 64GB MicroSDXC, so I can't imagine why anyone would use a 128GB card.) You may be surprised how much nicer it can be. And everything that isn't modified in some way will absolutely convert using RazorX2014's nice little batch file on Maxconsole even for me without any troubles, so you can convert all your favorites.

seikur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ironically I had gotten a 16 gb micro sd card to execute the gateway exploit and a 4 GB sd card to use with the 3ds. That size was to small, when I tried to install RF4 as cia, so I took the 16 micro sd plus adapter and am using that right now as 3ds sd. For rom modding tests you can't use cia, because your will need to reinstall it every time and that takes so much time.. But for all other purposes it seems great.

@scrangos:
Well the english rom uses the same file, but it will have other indices written inside the code.bin. There's just no need to have an extra eng file for this one, since all the latin letters are already inside.
For the choices size: I mean, you have the japanese length already, try to double that size. Even if you set the english cutoff as variable and go through the possibilities, you'll just get some more results and need to confirm the right one by matching the vicinity. You once wrote, that you can still hear the sound of letters appearing, even if they appear beyond the end of the line, so you could make a good estimation based on that to limit the possibilities.

edit:
Just had an idea, you can just use commatas as text, you can fit much more of them into one line :)

Last edited by seikur0,

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds fits a microsd adapter? odd.. the more you know... my sd is a full sd card though, i cant swap em around

Those arent our ansi latin letters, try doing a find on that text and youll see you cant match em. They are japanese latin letters... which are the ones that are fat and unwieldly. you can use em ingame, theres a menu with kana, one with a few kanji and one with those latin letters

f5869661e9.png

left are the ones copy pasted from the nameboard file, right are ones typed from my keyboard. and no its not a font thing. easy enough to replace though, for the jp rom anyway.

that sound doesnt appear in option selections... and i need an exact size if im gonna search for an 8bit variable in the code.bin... but yea if i coudnt find it id try doubling it

seikur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe ingame the latin letters are depicted as normal size automatically. Or you could write their normal sized values to the double size places in the file.
Or maybe it reads the values from the code.bin, address 0x2c55cc. These are the only double-size letters entries I've found.

edit:
Forget it, I'm pretty sure I know, why this occurs. I think the ingame latin letters in the undubbed version aren't the double size ones from the file, but rather normal latin letters with some space behind them. I noticed that the two rf3TxtNameEntryBoard_split2_2.jpn files differ between the languages. In the japanese file the letters are separated by two "00"-chars instead of one in the english file. So I think this additional char corresponds to the extra space ingame. It should be fine, if you just replace the japanese file by the english one.

The english rom uses this file as well, otherwise there would be no need to modify it, that means the double sized letters are just optical for the naming screen and will transfer to normal chars, when you select them.

Last edited by seikur0,

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I weird for kind of liking the way it uses those letters? I guess it's my OCD thing, but I feel like it separates the stuff manually entered versus the built in stuff. Guess that sounds silly and backwards huh?

3ds fits a microsd adapter? odd.. the more you know... my sd is a full sd card though, i cant swap em around
You can copy the files from the system's card and they work fine. They're encrypted to some key in the NAND itself or something to that effect (which has some interesting effects like the fact that you can system transfer, then load a NAND backup and the files will continue to work despite the fact that they're no longer legally installed, lol.) The emuNAND is the pain in the rear part of switching around (assuming you're using emuNAND, but really everyone should be for safety reasons if nothing else.) There is a tool to make a backup, though I think on the new card you may have to "format" it in the Gateway menu before you can load the backup. You can also image the card up as far as the emuNAND goes and then adjust the partition layout to fill the area past the emuNAND (you have to not adjust the start point of the FAT32 partition -- or at least not start it any closer to the start of the card so you don't overwrite any emuNAND area.)

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah ill fix it for next vers, you might have to edit the save file to fix already entered things. main char name is changeable ingame, dunno about other things.

Cinnamon

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got a cia version to work after some fiddling with different converters. If someone needs a hint use Riku's 3DS Simple CIA Converter.

EDIT: Saving is fast for CIA version btw. Instantaneous even.

Last edited by Cinnamon,
Reactions: Nazosan

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I hadn't heard about that one. Thanks! I'll give it a shot momentarily.

EDIT: That did it. Thank you! Maybe this will work with the other problem stuff for me in the future too. I'll probably switch over to this one.

Last edited by Nazosan,

seikur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I was wrong the double bytes don't do anything and the names are indeed getting filled with double size characters. Except the small x, which the developers apparently overlooked, lol.

Last edited by seikur0,

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well changing the entry file only changed whats displayed to select to enter. but when you select it the game refers to the full width still. dont know where they are stored... searched through the whole filesystem and the only results for the binary for the full width letter i was searching was only in files that dont make sense like sound files, movies and special attacks.

they might be in the code.bin >.< theres a few places where i saw abecedaries.

wasnt able to hit the text length variable for the options either. its being considerably harder than the other one.

seikur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I found the real place, where the letters are stored, also confirmed the maximum text length for the english choice dialogue, forwarded it to scrangos. We're making progress :)

It would really help, if those of you already playing this undub would keep your eyes open and tell us about stuff like sentences that still get cut off or maybe remaining japanese text in the game. Thanks in advance.

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
text length on options and the name entry using full width latin is fixed now. will upload v2 overnight. is everyone set for cias now? i was just gonna upload the 3ds

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riku's tool seems to work perfectly. And it's even easier than RazorX2014's batch process overall (though I do personally dislike its usage of directories...) .3DS should be fine for anyone.

I do still insist you should try CIAs yourself though. :-p I'll make a convert out of you yet!

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uploaded a new version. fixes the option length (which includes the order menu) and the naming now uses regular ansi latin rather than full width latin characters. old names can be changed by editing the save file with a hex editor. if you are gonna shorten a name replace the unneeded characters with 00 rather than shortening the file. also open and save it with seikur0s editor to fix the checksum (and keep a backup in case)

i completely missed the L/R conversation thing. it says "tokoro de" which is sorta like "by the way". ill fix it in next version.

my sd card is still small... its 16gb, like 4 are for emunand? I think. need a fair amt empty as well to do some operations like decrypting and such i believe. back when i bought it i thought the big one needed to be the microsd

Reactions: JazzCat.CL

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update.

my sd card is still small... its 16gb, like 4 are for emunand? I think. need a fair amt empty as well to do some operations like decrypting and such i believe. back when i bought it i thought the big one needed to be the microsd
emuNAND should be about 1GiB on the O3DS/2DS and about 1.5GiB on the N3DS (actually, I think it's less, but I think it's padded or something to keep things aligned. I'd have to fdisk the memory card I had in a N3DS though to double check and kind of don't want to dig it out.) Anyway, my point is that CIAs are a lot nicer once you have them installed (the catch is just that you have to wait a long time to install) and if you switch completely over you don't need a big card in the Gateway (and, in fact, wouldn't have to even USE Gateway if you're not on a N3DS -- though CFWs exist for the N3DS too I think now and rxTools should support it soon-ish.) You could have a super small card in the Gateway in fact. Personally, I have a 4GB card in mine now I think. I have FBI and BigBlueMenu on there to install stuff in an emergency and Cubic Ninja just in case I need Ninjhax for anything, but that's it. Everything runs from the system and when I do use Gateway mode I can remove the Gateway card right after I boot the system into emuNAND.

Sorry, I don't mean to pester or anything, I just think it's a lot nicer. I particularly love the fact that I don't even need my Gateway card anymore. I just pack it up for an emergency pretty much.

JazzCat.CL

Trophies
Website
chevaduchat.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Chile
Amazing, thank you for the undub!
do you have any plans of doing an undub version of the inazuma eleven go games?
i saw a undub of the eur version, but it still has the original names of the european release,
do you think that you can change those names for a romanized version of it?
if you do something like that, let me help you please

scrangos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so er, apparently nobodys playing this yet or everyones playing frey because i just noticed I uploaded my genderswap vers by mistake. so if youve got v2, get v3 a bit later today.

apparently theres a bug with the harvest report that came with the game itself. if one could find it in the disassembler its probly not terribly hard to fix since its repeating variable instead of using two different ones.. (or its meant to only show one week and its displaying two by accident). weird that both language versions ahve the same error if im understanding correctly from forums. finding stuff in the code.bin is borderline impossible though.

No plans to do any more undubs for the forseable future sorry. try asking the original team to see if they can apply their undub to the us vers too i guess?

seikur0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"People actually use the harvest report?" That's what I'm thinking right now and maybe the developers thought the same, haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: