iPlayer hands-on impressions

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
jjc1992 said:
at least without rom support it won't be on big N's assassination list
laugh.gif
but given that its supposedly based on Acekard hardware, how long before someone adds it?
AKAIO might even work.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally to me, it looks almost about as useful as the Mario Clock for the DSi.. But hey, what do I know?
yaynds.gif

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. You answered my question about the .mkv format.

Now I'm awaiting the external subtitles and battery life to be answered. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward for more answers!

Thanks again.

Virgil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting for a "impression" topic on this, so I can get a good look and view of the card. Looks pretty promising, but I do hope the card's extra CPU will be able to be used for homebrew apps; does anyone know of how much CPU power and RAM is contained in the iPlayer anyways?

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hmm impressive. i wonder if other companies will be able to incorporate this into their flashkarts. but meh, i don't think i'll buy a new card just for videos. moonshell is good enough for that job, and everythin else, i have my laptop.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you do the review, please test the battery life difference.

Other than that, ask them if they'll release an API that allows other devs to utilize that hardware.

Hardware Overview:
I can't find a datasheet for the AML3405, nor could I see a model number printed on the chip next to the MicroSD slot.

The 39VF040 is a flash chip that holds 4Mbit (8x512kbit banks) - This is probably where your "kernel updates" are stored... where necessary codecs etc are.
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf...ST/39VF040.html
The Winbond chip is 256 Mb SDRAM that can run @ 133 or 166MHz [32MB of RAM, up from the DS' 4MB] - probably some of your video is buffered to here.
http://winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_pr.../W9825G6EHd.pdf

The above overview is based off what I've taught myself over the past 2 years, so I could be terribly wrong as to what each part actually DOES, but I do know what they are.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
imgod22222 said:
When you do the review, please test the battery life difference.

Other than that, ask them if they'll release an API that allows other devs to utilize that hardware.

Hardware Overview:
I can't find a datasheet for the AML3405, nor could I see a model number printed on the chip next to the MicroSD slot.

The 39VF040 is a flash chip that holds 4Mbit (8x512kbit banks) - This is probably where your "kernel updates" are stored... where necessary codecs etc are.
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf...ST/39VF040.html
The Winbond chip is 256 Mb SDRAM that can run @ 133 or 166MHz [32MB of RAM, up from the DS' 4MB] - probably some of your video is buffered to here.
http://winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_pr.../W9825G6EHd.pdf

The above overview is based off what I've taught myself over the past 2 years, so I could be terribly wrong as to what each part actually DOES, but I do know what they are.

That winbond chip is most likely the chip that contains the official game that they use to bypass the dsi protection. Same way as ak2i (this being a clone would indicate this works in a similar fashion to the ak2i).

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normatt, sounds probable--after all that's how old passcards used to work. (I'm sure 80% of this forum's community either doesn't know what passcards are or can barely vaguely remember it)
EDIT: Then why get one that's rewritable? I long closed the PDF, but IIRC its rewritable.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
imgod22222 said:
Normatt, sounds probable--after all that's how old passcards used to work. (I'm sure 80% of this forum's community either doesn't know what passcards are or can barely vaguely remember it)

Passcards did nothing but redirect the input and output to the actual ds card and any reads to the card header were altered to jump to the slot2.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Thanks for the vid, Shaun!

Overall? It's MORE THAN AWESOME
ohmy.gif

Too bad to see how it fares with h264, but other than that, it is incredible!
With this the DS is officially more powerful than a PSP in the media department
biggrin.gif

Dream on lol.

Anyways, good job with this media player. Won't be using it though.
I would rather use my Phone or Psp to watch videos on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far