Installing the New 3ds Xl Optimize capture card is brutal.

TLDR only do this if you're a glutton for punishment.
This kit is absolutely insane to install. It makes Ps1digital and Oled modchips look like peaceful mode.
Much of the difficulty comes from questionable design choices.
You have to cut your own flex cable and solder it blindly to 0201 components.
the flex isn't anchored so it stresses out the super brittle joints. I highly recommend tacking the flex to the board with uv resin or something similar to relieve the stress on the components.
Here's the video if you want to check it out. It's nuts, only do it if you want to get pissed off lol
The video is unscripted / raw then edited down so it's pretty long. There's timestamps if you want to skip to the brutal bits

New 3ds XL Capture Kit Install

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TLDR only do this if you're a glutton for punishment.
This kit is absolutely insane to install. It makes Ps1digital and Oled modchips look like peaceful mode.
Much of the difficulty comes from questionable design choices.
You have to cut your own flex cable and solder it blindly to 0201 components.
the flex isn't anchored so it stresses out the super brittle joints. I highly recommend tacking the flex to the board with uv resin or something similar to relieve the stress on the components.
Here's the video if you want to check it out. It's nuts, only do it if you want to get pissed off lol
The video is unscripted / raw then edited down so it's pretty long. There's timestamps if you want to skip to the brutal bits

New 3ds XL Capture Kit Install
I've always wanted one of those, they're so hard to find nowadays. Love your channel btw. :)

Modzvilleusa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Modzvilleusa

Modzvilleusa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I've thought that they've been discontinued many years ago. Anyways, thanks for the link.
I did too up until about a year ago. There's a couple different people / companys ect making different capture kits. These optimize kits are very much still available but there's only kits for o3ds, o3ds xl and n3ds xl. other revisions aren't supported unfortunately. Would love one for my n2ds xl.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish someone would work on an open source and better design than these

For the price of these kits you’d think some of the design flaws would be fixed, or at the very least..come with a pre cut flex cable

Nonetheless great install vid! I’m hoping to do this myself soon so I will definitely be referring back here

Modzvilleusa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I really wish someone would work on an open source and better design than these

For the price of these kits you’d think some of the design flaws would be fixed, or at the very least..come with a pre cut flex cable

Nonetheless great install vid! I’m hoping to do this myself soon so I will definitely be referring back here
I totally agree man. My biggest gripes are with the flex cable. I legit think it would be easier to install the kit the oposite way (With the chips facing up) and wire it manually with some 36awg.
whatever you do just don't use 30awg on the 0201 components. I've seen many botched switch tablets from people who didn't get the memo that 30awg with destroy them.

loc125

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, this kit is pretty easy to install…

Attachments

• D29C13F5-0F2E-465A-B686-A3275546B863.jpeg
    D29C13F5-0F2E-465A-B686-A3275546B863.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 04708A36-96D5-4E96-86C2-E2D04E18208E.jpeg
    04708A36-96D5-4E96-86C2-E2D04E18208E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • A8326A60-DDBD-42FB-B3BA-B98863FF5050.jpeg
    A8326A60-DDBD-42FB-B3BA-B98863FF5050.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1